YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My d/s inflator valve was "a bit sticky" so I dismantled it, sonic bathed it in vinegar, rinsed it off, regreased it and pressed it back into service.

On Sunday I went for a splosh in Eastbourne Marina to make sure it was working OK (the Sunday before I believe it to be the cause of a rapid ascent) and all seemed fine but ................... later, I wasn't so sure.

When I got home I noticed a wet patch on my chest in the inflator area. I assume that, even with the hose disconnected that air should not be able to enter the suit (unless the inflator button is pressed)?

When I get home tonight I will have a closer look at the state of the O ring and the barrel ................ I suppose I could have over greased the O ring to cause a poor fit ....................

I'd be grateful for any corrections to my version of logic or other advice.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
It may be that you haven't tightend the valve up properly or that the o-ring needs to be replaced because it's hardened slightly.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be that you haven't tightend the valve up properly or that the o-ring needs to be replaced because it's hardened slightly.
I'm pretty sure I tightened it up correctly and I have thus far assumed the water leaked in through the inlet fitting when I disconnected my d/s whip whilst in the water before passing my kit up onto the RIB.

I suppose if water can get in one way then so can air when the whip is connected. I think, I will take the valve off tonight, connect it up and dunk it in a bucket to see if any air is escaping slowly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts