YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've just bought a second hand neoprene dry suit. This being my first dry suit, what sort of maintenance / care is required?

Now I can get wet over here instead of waiting for the warm waters of the Red Sea.  

Dunc

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Depends on the seals, but assuming they are neoprene seals.

A good hose down of the suit after diving.  If possible store unfolded but use a hanger that provides good support across the shoulders and top of the arms (A piece of pipe with a bit of string in the middle works as a reasonable hanger).  When hung up let the boots rest on the floor to take some of the weight off.

Finally use beeswax on the zip to keep it moving freely.

Oops almost forgot,  make sure the valves are operating freely and no grit has found it's way in,  I usually rinse my autodump through from the inside of the suit out every so often.  As for the inflation valve, never had to do anything with mine but I always make sure it is operating freely and does not feel gritty.

Daz

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>if you can hang your suit up by the boots, it will allow any damp to drain out rather than down into the boots, and go mouldy.
i find it a good idea to turn it inside out and make sure the inside is properly dry before storage.
wack

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Nov. 11 2003,20:57)]if you can hang your suit up by the boots, it will allow any damp to drain out rather than down into the boots, and go mouldy.
i find it a good idea to turn it inside out and make sure the inside is properly dry before storage.
wack
Where do you find somewhere tall enough to hang yours up Wack  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Daz
as long as you promise not to come round and rob me I'll tell you, I keep mine in the garage.

Matt

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

When stored keep it out of direct sunlight, when donning the thing, talc or some water based lubricating jelly helps getting the seals on.( KY or the like)
Don't use silicon spray on the cuff seals to ease the seals on ( yes some people actually do it) makes seal replacement a nightmare.

Oh and yes, they don't like petrol, as I Witnessed when one joker showered my cuff seal with with petrol and two stroke oil whilst fuelling a rib  

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>if you don't have the space to store hanging up etc I have mine all folded up but with dampire thingys inside for any moisture

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Luckily for me the hanging the suit up wont be a problem - I ain't that tall!!!!  

Mary, how do find the Dampire? Is it worth investing in or a waste of dosh?

Many thanks for all the replies.

Dunc

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

If you're not going to use your drysuit for a while, my local drysuit repairer recommends the following:
Store your drysuit rolled up, with the zip lubricated and open and the seals (if latex) well talced on both sides, in the bag it came in, in a cool place and away from radiators and electrical equipment (ozone).

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>got mine in castle mountain moor in notts but they're sold as being for all sorts of outdoor sports so my best suggestion would be to give a couple of your local outdoory places a call. very strangely they're also more expensive if you buy them direct (I guess they don't want the bother).

Mine cost about £20 and despite 1 guy taking the piss and saying why not just use cat litter in a sock (a very constructive comment), other mates have been impressed especially when I have a bone dry suit to get into in the morning instead of slightly damp/clammy (you know what I mean) from the day before

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I hang mine up in a wardrobe, after beeswaxing the zip & talcing the seals.

Didn't bother with a Dampire - filled a pair of tights with cat litter, they work a treat. Rinse the drysuit out with clean water regularly now as I don't have to do anything to dry them.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Also I store with the zip fully open.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Good point. Yes, store with the zip waxed and open

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 12 2003,16:40)]Also I store with the zip fully open.
Yes, i forgot that bit, have now edited the post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Imported post

one thing extra on the maintenance side is checking th inflate valve isnt sticking (usually on) Ive seen several 'gum' up on divers because no one told to check it and usually its divers using lots of talc, which seems to get into the valve around the o rings, you'd think air coming in would blow it away,
If it is  gritty, or slow to close,you can clean the shaft  by removing the circlip , careful they are small and will fly off when released.press the shaft out.
Clean the shaft  with damp cloth with some washing up liquid on it , neat, and thoroughly wash off and dry, dont put silicone grease or WD 40 on it as this will cause things to stick to it and the the problem will come back faster than before.
Always check the valve works before diving as ive seen several divers find out the hard way on descending to about 5 -10 metres before putting some air in,  only to come back to the surface pretty quick, cursing and swearing, also  we all should practice releasing the hose under water before it happens to us.my mate has a blow-gun type fitting and claims its easier to release than the shreader types anybody got any thoughts on this.
And does baby oil or lotion rot neoprene cuffs?  mine are going after six years is this normal?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts