YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

My buddy has just started diving in a brand new Otter DS, complete with undersuit.  After several dives, we are noticing that the surface of his undersuit is really quite wet, however without penetration internally other than along the zip.

Now, my under-gear consists of a lot of pertex and thinsulate etc, and I'm noticing that most of the pertex is looking damp as well, especially on the fronts of my legs.

The first question is this; how much of the moisture is likely to be condensation, and should we be looking for leaks only when the boots start filling up?

The second question is this; how on Earth do you test a DS for leaks?  Am I going to have to bung up the neck/wrists with footballs, or is there an easier way!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>As you say the suit is relatively new so I would suspect the damp to be condensation,
When it leaks you will know all about it even a very small leak will leave you with a very large wet area. [not necessarily filling your boots]
If you find the need to test your suit there is a thread on page six of equipment or click here for ways of testing.
HTH
cheers
Bob

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Bob, and the link was very useful too.  I think it must me condensation for me - not convinced about my cousin's, but I think I'll leave it for a while and just monitor things.

Interested in the DIY hangers.  I wonder if there's any mileage in pushing hot air through the pipes to speed drying?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ April 19 2003,23:04)]Now, my under-gear consists of a lot of pertex and thinsulate etc, and I'm noticing that most of the pertex is looking damp as well, especially on the fronts of my legs.
That sounds to me like a leak, rather than condensation. Any water that leaks in will collect at the lowest parts of your body when you are swimming, i.e. under your stomach and at the front of your legs. I agree that your cousin's moisture is probably condensation, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts