YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've just got myself a new large dry suit pocket to replace my original small pocket on my O3 Neoprene drysuit. I've already had a larger one fitted on the other side.
Greg at O3 suggested I just pull the old pocket away from the suit with some pliers or something similar as they are just glued on. I had a look at doing this last night but the pocket is so well glued that I'm afraid that if I really pull the pocket away from the suit it'll damage the suit.
Does anyone have any tips or ideas about how to do this? Will the glue eventually give?

Once I have the pocket off, I assume I need to clean the area up and bit and then apply the new pocket with Black Witch. I was advised to do the following:
1st layer of glue applied to both suit and pocket, leave for 20 mins.
2nd layer of glue applied to both suit and pocket, leave for 20 mins.
3rd layer, wait until tacky and then stick pocket onto suit and pinch glued parts to ensure they bond, and leave to dry.
Is this correct?

Many thanks,
Gareth.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
My missus' Otter the original pocket was glued and stiched. You have to "shave" the thing off with a modelling knife. Very tedious. However you do eventually get a nice flat surface (if you can be bothered).

Needless to say if you "shave" too hard you cut the leg material. I left a big ridge on and just glued the pocket over it. Ugly as sin but so what?

Chris

·
(Formerly Polarbears Dave) - YD advertiser
267 Posts
DONT USE BLACK WITCH (unless you enjoy reglueing pockets on a regular basis and like the black scabby look around the edge of the pocket)
You want bostik 2402
The existing pocket should pull off ok, but a bit of heat helps (I use a paintstripping hot air gun, but it is hot enough to burn a big hole in the suit if you dont know what you are doing)
The instructions are about right, but the time between coats varies depending on temp and humidity, just wait until the previous coat is dry.
Wait until the last coat is about dry before putting everything together.
Use a small roller to press everything together and make sure it is all bonded

cheers

dave
drysuitrepair.co.uk

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I have just taken a pocket off my wet suit, it was just stitched on and was easy with a craft knife.

However is gluing on a new one easy or is it better to take it and have it done properly.

and before you ask why the pocket was on the front of the leg and I want them on the side now :D

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I have just taken a pocket off my wet suit, it was just stitched on and was easy with a craft knife.

However is gluing on a new one easy or is it better to take it and have it done properly.

and before you ask why the pocket was on the front of the leg and I want them on the side now :D
...and in Black :teeth:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
DONT USE BLACK WITCH (unless you enjoy reglueing pockets on a regular basis and like the black scabby look around the edge of the pocket)
You want bostik 2402
Bostik may be better (i've never used it so wouldn't know), but there's certainly nothing wrong with Black Witch if it's done right. I've got three pockets, on both cordura and neoprene suits, stuck with Black Witch and all have stuck perfectly. Only very very important thing with it is to use a LOT more than they advise - the amount that comes with the Divers Warehouse pockets (for example) is nowhere near enough, I use pretty much a whole tube of the stuff for each pocket. But as I said, done properly and carefully it won't fall off and no spillage of the glue around the edges.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts