YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

One of my latex wrist seals is looking decidedly dodgy and is probably soon to be in need of replacement. What is the best way of fitting new seals or should I get someone else to do it? Whilst I'm on the subject I'm considering changing from the latex seals to neoprene seals for comfort and warmth - can neoprene seals be fitted to a cordura type membrane drysuit and what are the pro's and cons of the 2 types?

Cheers all and I'm sorry if they're daft questions,

Noel

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Neoprene tends to be more prone to leaks.
Easiest way, esp. if you don't know what you're doing, is to get them done by somebody else. I recommend a heavy-duty variety, such as the ones sold by Otter, rather than the standard ones - when I last tried on a standard cuff, I was terrified it would rip from the strain of my hand going through it

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Noel,

I'm a great believer in P.S.E. - Pay Someone Else.

Why? 'Cause I'm also a great believer in visiting woe and damnation up on anyone who's done a job for me where money has changed hands for said work/purchase and then me not me being please with the job, should that be the case.

THEN I have some form of redress; be it "please re-do the job at your own expense and let me know when the job is finished so I may collect the garment at my leisure, kind Mr Artisan of the Needle", or "You've made a right James Hunt of this repair job mate so sort it out pronto or I'll burn your house down with you in it!"

OK granted, the former rather than the latter approach tends to get better results, but I have had, on occasion, to resort to same.

Bottom line is, if you do the repair yourself and you make a James of it, you've no redress and no one from whom to withhold payment (by way of incentive) to get the job sorted. AND, invariably, you'll only end up having to pay to get the damned thing sorted anyway!

Or, you could take the BSAC route to repair and glue some Cling Film around the ends of your seals and hope to providence that that keeps the water out!
Bacon buttie, anyone?? :D

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Don't be daft, we don't use cling film!

We use duck tape - seals better, and you don't need to use glue.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

Get someone else to do it.

Neoprene seals can be fitted to cordura type suits. Norther diver do (or did) fit neoprene seals to their early vortex suit as an option.  What ever make of suit you have Norther Diver do a good repair service.

As to the argument with neoprene seals leaking, all I can offer is this.  My suit has made to measure seals and has never leaked.  My wife is the same.  Of other members of our club who have neoprene seals, those with made to measure seals never seem to coment on leaks, those with off the peg suits complain about the seals.  

Make of that what you will.

Darren

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

My fave when it came to latex over neoprene seals:

Have you ever seen a neoprene condom?
Nuff said

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

hehe yeh thats about right.
Neoprene's have a tendancy to leak but are more comfortable, easier to don and more durable than latex.
The also still tend to seal when they have minor damage (well at least mine do!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts