YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Frightened of the dark!!!
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested to hear your views, as i am looking to buy a new drysuit.
I started drysuit diving in a DMS hytech 8mm Neoprene drysuit, neoprene neck and wrist seals. It was always a b****er to get on and off and could only be described as a damp/moistsuit. And needed 2 ton of lead to sink.
I then changed to an Aquion Pro with HD latex wrist and neck seal. Always bone dry and lasted a few years.
In 2000 i bought a made to measure Otter Britannic skin. Suit still looks new after 7 years of trimix wreck diving. Although the cross body zip went after 3 seasons, and i still need help getting in and out of it. I would never call it self donning. Cost then around £500 MTM at diveshow.

I have now eaten too many pies and my Britannic is too small and i find a cross body zip restrictive anyway.

So do i go for another membrane type suit, but i do not want a cross body zip, and i am loathe to pay otter what they now ask for their suits. Also i want a neoprene neck seal on it, wellie boots and HD latex wrist seals, oh and two big zip pockets.

Or do i go for a compressed/crushed neoprene with the above spec.

I have looked at seaskin/Outer Edge as their prices seem competetive for either compressed neoprene or with seaskin their membrane and compressed neoprene.

I want flexibility and give, especially if a put a few more pounds on as i get older. My diving is predominantly trimix wreck on an Inspiration. However next year i will be returning to some RIB diving.

I look forwards to your thoughts and suggestions.
PS coz i am tight i only want to spend £500-£550

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Oh I'm glad you've posted this :)

I currently dive a Northern Diver 4mm compressed neo, which I love, but having spent Autumn and Winter getting my buoyancy right on my twinset, now is the time to start nailing shutdowns and I don't think my 4mm suit is going to play nicely :frown: .

I've been wondering how flexible the Seaskin 3mm compressed neo suits are for shutdowns, particularly if anyone has their MTM thinsulate too. I won't be going back to membrane as I like the warmth of neo too much.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I've been toying with posting this for the last few days.

Hxxx

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Membranes and the correct undergarments are the way to go :D

·
16,469 Posts
Membranes and the correct undergarments are the way to go :D
Bugger off - I'm curious, not committed yet :D

I checked with someone else and they said a hyper compressed should be okay if there are no changes in buoyancy characteristics at depth :)

·
16,469 Posts
I have a 3mm compressed Seaskin , not diving twins but can reach behind and grab the valve on a single.
What about the suit in general (seeing as I appear to have hijaked Timbobaggins's thread :embarassed: )?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Bugger off - I'm curious, not committed yet :D

I checked with someone else and they said a hyper compressed should be okay if there are no changes in buoyancy characteristics at depth :)
Yep, no worries there
I have a 3mm compressed Seaskin , not diving twins but can reach behind and grab the valve on a single.
Having a suit which is made membrane or neo has nothing to do with reaching the valves, having a suit which fits well does. Therefore dive whatever you want or need but make sure it fits you. This is especially the case if you use your suit for bouyancy as you don't want too large an airspace to try and control.

·
Frightened of the dark!!!
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
where from

Wagger where can you get em cheaper (DUI that is).

OI Bouyant Babe stop nicking my thread (only joking)

Thanks for all replies. Still as confused:embarassed:

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Wagger where can you get em cheaper (DUI that is).

Thanks for all replies. Still as confused:embarassed:
Protec Explorer is very much like the TLS350 but without the cost and name :) Polar Bears Explorer is pretty good from what I can gather (Adrian Kelland and Brian of Aquanauts have them)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know that deep blue and some others offer the cf200se at 1099 squid, I went thru the shop at the NDAC at Chepstow and got it at just over 800. Still a lot of cash but after using the suit for a few months is worth it! Not sure if Chepstow still have the contacts as a key member of staff has left this week.

Paul

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Not sure if Chepstow still have the contacts as a key member of staff has left this week.
Who has left now? I am there tomorrow.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Andrew Bullingham, not sure why, its a long story, or so im told.
The site manager? If so, he was a bloody nice chap and did alot to help us 2 weeks ago on our Tech 1 course and the other guys Tech 2. Oh well, good luck in his future ventures.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts