YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
You can't kill an idea...
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due to call at Seaskin this coming Friday to discuss (and be measured for) a neoprene drysuit.

I'm fairly comfortable with most of the options I intend to choose but wondered what people thought about so-called "convenience zips"? :embarassed:

In one sense they seem to be a no-brainer but it is quite an expensive option at 58 quid, are there any problems / disadvantages with them?
I do like the idea of an easy escape route :)

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Just something else to go wrong!. If you get a front loader then it's easy enough to unzip and spray!

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
I wouldn't bother personally. If you have a rear zipper, then as long as you are diving with someone else, and don't mind getting part way out of the suit, then its no hassle.

I have had suits both with and without them, and I prefer not to bother these days. Its one more thing to go wrong and cause a leak, and I always felt it was quite a kerfuffle to get little Ratty out of undersuit and thermal layers and through the pee zip anyway.

Your mileage may vary :teeth:

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I'm due to call at Seaskin this coming Friday to discuss (and be measured for) a neoprene drysuit.

I'm fairly comfortable with most of the options I intend to choose but wondered what people thought about so-called "convenience zips"? :embarassed:

In one sense they seem to be a no-brainer but it is quite an expensive option at 58 quid, are there any problems / disadvantages with them?
If you took your suit to O'three, they'd definately try to talk you out of having a 'convenience zip' fitted (as they did with me when I briefly dabbled with the idea about 5 years ago - oh the shame) as they're the work of the devil, pure and simple. If you really need to have a pee whilst still wearing your drysuit then go for a balanced pee-valve - they're much, much better and have the added benefit of allowing you to pee underwater too...

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
The best £58 you will ever spend on diving kit :)

I would not consider getting a suit without the option now ;)

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Go for a pee valve - you can't use a convenience zip in the water...................

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I would say that it makes more sense to add a P-Valve than a Pee Zip. The zip is just another expensive failure point.

Sure the P-Valve can fail but you can execute most of the repairs yourself so you don't lose the suit for the duration of the repair......furthermore it won't cost as much to repair.

If you're going neoprene then I'd also argue that more often than not, when you're on the surface you're pretty keen to get out of the suit anyway (because they chill quicker than membranes.....or at least it seems to feel that way). If that's the case then where is the benefit in having a P-Zip.

If you want a "relief" valve then go for a P-Valve.....otherwise just leave it be.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
I have a neoprene suit and the chill factor is not an issue/negligible, i am often first in and last out, a pee before entry and another on exit are very easy, and there is no faffing about. If slack is a bit late it's easy to have a late go once suited up, and great in rough weather if you go out or return suited up.

In 3 years i have had no failure issues with the zip, it is not used a great deal, and if maintained its not a problem. If you dive off of Rhibs its an absolute godsend, and all the Ladies get very jealous :) of the ability to pee at ease that is ;)

If you wear multiple-undersuits it is a bit of a hassle though.

·
Registered
140 Posts

I've had one in all my suits, It call it a "seal saver" as I don't have to rip my suit off at the end of dives (I get cold so always need to go afterwards)

I end up having to replace them as well within the lifetime of the suit

Tony

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
It's a no-brainer.

P-valves, especially balanced, very, very good.

"Convenience" zips, pointless, silly and irritating, now that decent cathers exist.

Regards,

Mark

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Another vote for a p-valve.

After a run in with Kidney stones the quack has me on 3L of fluid a day and, to prevent getting up all night, I try to get through the bulk of it early in the day.

This is not conducive to 1 hour plus deco hangs and a zip does nothing for you at 6m. If you can use the zip you can get out of the suit.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
P-Valve :thumbsup:
And Seaskin will fit it for you.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I had P zips in my previous suits and were a definite advantage on RIBs where there is little room to change. However I felt there was still the tendancy to try and time the water intake so I had no desire to pee during the dive. And still ended up with crosslegs syndrome :) I also found that the horizontal position of the zip is not 'optimal' shall we say. The position must have been based on King Dong.

So now I have a balanced P valve. When I get the condom right (the only downside), I can pee at pretty much any time and even underwater. Which is a big relief.

Adrian

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
So now I have a balanced P valve. When I get the condom right (the only downside),

Adrian

Getting the "right" condom and getting it on right is very important.

Interface failure is embarrassing, smelly and cold :) .

If you don't have the confidence in the thinq you won't use it which is counter productive.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Getting the "right" condom and getting it on right is very important.

Interface failure is embarrassing, smelly and cold :) .

If you don't have the confidence in the thinq you won't use it which is counter productive.
Agreed. I'm using the Wide band condoms from Jade Euro Med. They stick...

1 total failure in 6 attepts so far. Caused by not putting it on right and the condom stuck to itself. 'Seepage' occured. Another try had a kink, blew up like a huge balloon, but did not fail. :redface:

I'm using mine on dives when I know others wouldn't bother through fear of failure for a relatively short time in the water, 1 hour. Personally I find the pain of holding worse than the possibility of a failure.

Adrian

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Sheaths that fit:

I use these Manfred Sauer UK - continence solutions
There is a good range of sizes, so you don't have to go with 'best fit' and I got one a couple of mm smaller than the size chart said I needed for 'normal' use. There is loads of glue on them and they are very sticky - zero failures when I found these and have nearly gone through a box of them.

They come off easily enough in the shower when you want them too.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Sheaths that fit:

I use these Manfred Sauer UK - continence solutions
There is a good range of sizes, so you don't have to go with 'best fit' and I got one a couple of mm smaller than the size chart said I needed for 'normal' use. There is loads of glue on them and they are very sticky - zero failures when I found these and have nearly gone through a box of them.

They come off easily enough in the shower when you want them too.
Unfortunately, that is probably the best bit of advice. Don't kid yourself. :D

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
I have both a P zip and P valve on my DUI. Diving off a RIB is made so much easier with either but I don't bother "hooking" up for short dives with little deco saving me £1.50 a time. Never been caught out yet but would recommend either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts