YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Tried both, settled on auto. Far better system. Wouldn't even consider going back to a cuff dump.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've tried both too but I think the auto dump is overrated, I might be very tempted to go back to a cuff dump in the future

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Holy War!

Burn the Heretic!

And let's not even start on the "put an autodump on the cuff" mutants

What don't you like about the auto, Steve?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Personally I love my auto-dump.

for me,I keep mine fully open and I just have to roll a bit to dump, don't have to move my hands or drop anything etc.

But, I guess you get used to a system and then that works for you.

Juz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I do the same, Juz - wide open at all times unless I'm at the surface

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Okay my fault - bunged up the cuff dump with talc but forgotten the number of times it jammed shut and I had to waggle my air in the air and then resort to banging the bejeepers out of it with my UK400 torch  
 convinced me that autodumps was the way.

Never looked back. Also means you can crank it shut on the surface and just inflate suit and lie back (as it were)

Simon

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Jan. 19 2004,13:54)]Holy War!

Burn the Heretic!

And let's not even start on the "put an autodump on the cuff" mutants

What don't you like about the auto, Steve?
Look,  I  only said "This bit of Halibut is good enough for Jehovah..."

OK Reasons to dislike Autodump, part III (Ian dury, RIP
 ) (i) the 'press to dump' hardly ever seems to work on mine, or most other people I buddy with, (ii) I so very rarely close the dump so that function seems pretty pointless, plus,(iii) whilst finning along I find it more natural to lift my arm to dump air rather than having to re-orient my whole body.

I don't dislike it enought to change it right now, but if I was going to buy a new suit I wouldn't pay extra for the autodump function.
Guess it's a bit of a 'horses for courses' issue

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

The press to dump doesn't seem to work on mine either!
I started with a apex low profile auto which leaked when fully open (apparently common).  Exchanged it for the apex high-profile which doesn't leak, but I am unable to leave it fully open as it vents all air when trying to equalise the suit!
My procedure is fully open when ascending or descending, closing when descending and kept fully closed at the bottom.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Press to dump???

Almost forgot it was there,  haven't pressed to dump for a long time.

As for reorientating the body I leave mine fully open and it seems to vent with minimal body rolling as I ascend (as long as I ascend reasonably slowly).  

My only gripe is that sometimes it seems to vent too slowly and a slight tilt does help.  However my mate has just switched from a Apeks low profile dump to a Sitech and swears it is the mutts nuts by comparison.

When my new suit arrives with Sitech valves I'll let you know what I think.

Remember not all auto dumps are created equal  

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I have to use the press to dump on mine more and more - it's an Apeks low profile, and it's been going steadily downhill.

Got a Sitech on order, looking forward to trying it..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Imported post

Just spoken to O'Three on the very issue of Apeks LP valves not being up to much.

They said that Apeks have released a new version of the LP valve that fixes the problems that people have been having.

Anybody know if the new ones work ?

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

When I first got my suit from Otter a few weeks ago, I had a bit of a mysterious leak. Sent it back to Otter. The guys there fitted a si-tek autodump instead of the low profile Apeks. No more leaks, and it dumps SO much quicker. Before I had to think very carefully about ascending and dumping air, now it is really just a matter of setting and forgetting.

Laters,
   Janos

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Pressing mine does b*gger all - complete b*llocks.

Just taken the plunge a few hours ago and moved my hi-profile Si-tech to a more useful position on the suit.  Never cut a hole in a dry suit before...  Bit of a bottle test in itself!

Photos to follow...

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well there we go. Thanks for the posts which have been, I think you'll agree, somewhat inconclusive apart from the fact the Apeks LP auto dump is a pile of pants.

I'll stick to my cuff dump, I think. Now the only problem is getting into my sodding drysuit after a couple of years and a somewhat expanding gut. Pass the blubber knife, someone... unless anyone has a drysuit to fit someone verging on spherical.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts