YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

Just got my first drysuit on Saturday so hope to get seeing some of you very soon!!

Have you any tips on taking care of it?  In particular which talc to use, if memory serves I read somewhere that 'Simple' talc which can be bought in any boots can be used?

Thanks guys

P.s. Forgot to mention it's membrain with Latex seals (otter skin.)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I don't think you can go wrong with simple talc,  some of the other talcs contain substances that can damage latex seals.

I always store mine with the zip open rolled up in it's bag, but then I use it every weekend so it gets regular outings !!

I am sure if you have the space it would be more beneficial to store it hung up but with the boots on the ground to take the weight.  

Beeswax for the zipper should keep it in good order, and store it away from radiators etc...

HTH
Daz

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Most of the time I don't bother with talc, it's not crucial, plus regular use can clog your suit valves so make sure to dismantle and clean them now and them if youre going to use a lot of it.
Apparently (a bit nerdy this) you should try to use "pH Neutral" talc as some are supposedly acidic, I think baby talc should be pH neutral, but check the label before buying.
Chee-az
Steve
PS assuming you've got latex wrist seals - don't forget to remove your watch before putting your suit on! I've seen a few ripped seals this way, it can really spoil someone's day out

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Your seals will last longer if you talc them ON BOTH SIDES after each day's diving. As Steve says, though, make sure you don't clog the valves. Simple is best. It contains no additives. Many talcs contain perfume and some baby powders also contain lanoline and/or vaseline, which is NOT good for latex.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Ian
I assume you are going to rinse it after sea water use with fresh water. Inside and out I believe, not sure about the inside bit. Remember to turn it inside out as much as possible when drying it. Paper down the legs I believe to dry deep inside the boots?
Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

It should be enough to turn the suit inside out and hose the inside about once a year. I've never needed to dry the boots on my membrane suit. Even when the air is warm and the sea cold (early summer), the condensation is not usually that bad. I did use to turn my neoprene suit and boots inside out as far as possible, though, because the inside was slightly damp after every dive (neoprene seals are pants!).

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Vague memory surfacing from the depths of my brain, but I think you can by pure unadulterated BP-grade talc from Boots in the pharmacy section, or did I dream it...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Err...yeah, sorry, should have said it stood for British Pharmacopoeia (BP) ie medicine grade products, so very pure.
you'll probably notice the initials on a variety of packaging now it's been pointed out

Chee-az
steve

PS bizarre innit, we have suit seals made from tree sap and we put powdered volcanic rock onto them, now where does the eye of newt and wing of bat go....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Ah, now that takes me back! You may still be able to buy Talc BP from Boots (you could in the fifties, when I was an apprentice there!!!) but I doubt if it will be much cheaper than Simple, or much purer. And it may not come in such a convenient container. You should be able to buy Simple at any chemist or drugstore, by the way. A 250 gramme pack will last you years.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Thanks John,

My better half mailed me early got me some in her lunch hour.  So jobs a good en!

Which reminds me does any body elses better half take the piss out of our sport/hobbie..She's threatened to get a stick made and put it on the boot of my tank, something along the lines of semen stains or Roger the Cabin boy,,oohhh how cruel they can be!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Mine doesn't take the piss, just says all divers are nuts, risking their lives in an alien environment, pretending to be fishes. She'd stop me diving altogether if she could.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Think I might have to trade her in!!

Any one want slightly used 30 year woman, Sleeps a lot, Farts in the middle of the night that loud she wakes both of us up and blames me!  

Will take swap for a 20 year old blonde!

Christ, if she reads this she might do a bobit on me!!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

You sure its her making rude noises, reckon it could be you, try sleeping alone and see if it still happens.

Mine doesnt take the piss just looks terrified when I leave the house, double terrified if I take the boy too and relieved when I get back in one piece. Bless, what an angel.

Mind, I did ask her to get a big tub of KY but she refused.

Matt

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Matt your not trying to suggest it could possibly be me after a few beers

Must be a conspiracy as she suggested something similar!

Lies i tell you all Lies!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.