YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been a staunch advocate of the Semi Dry i think i might change my mind:embarassed:
The thing is being skint after spending all of my money and Mr Visa's money on Diving i have a slight problem in that i can not afford what i would really like.
So i have had two second hand suits both of which i ended up selling on as neither was quite right for me. Losing about £150 along the way, which i'm not too bothered about considering the amount of dives i did in both it would have cost more to hire in anycase.
I had a ND Neoprene which was too tight across the shoulder and leaked like a sieve. I found i needed about 4KG extra weight to get under the water which i was not keen on. I am a fairly big guy and in my semi use 9KG this went up to 13KG in the Neoprene Drysuit.
I then had an Otter Skin membrane which was great except it was too short in the torso making it difficult to bring my knees up to my chest. I binned this after i found i could not climb the ladder to get out at Stoney. I thought it was fairly important to be able to climb out of the water:) The bonus was i actually ditched weight in this suit using only 8KG on my belt.
Anyway i went back to my semi and all was well until this weekend in Abbs i was fine in the water but have to admit that the surface interval yesterday,day 2 of diving left me chilled to the point i nearly canned the second dive:frown:
My question is does anyone have a bloody big DS they want to sell on cheap or secondly can anyone recommend a manufacturer of a decent suit for a cheapish price. I think i'm going to need a XXL but the different manufacturers tend to size different in anycase. I am 6FT 3ins tall 48ins chest and 38ins waist 33ins inside leg
I know you get what you pay for but i can't stretch to a DUI or O3 at the moment.
I don't really want to start a debate of Neoprene Vs Membrane as i am aware of the pros and cons of both systems. Just looking for a route to a Drysuit that will do the job without going bankrupt:angel:.
I stopped Diving about 10 years ago at which time i had a MTM ND Neoprene which i found to be a great suit but as you do i sold it:frown: and now years later regret that particular decision. I came back to the sport with a passion last August but alas despite trying 2 second hand suits to save some dosh still haven't found the right suit for me.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Daz, nice to meet you in Eyemouth on Saturday :teeth:

Aaran (Eeyore) my buddy is a big lad at 6'8" (he was sat at the other end of the table so I don't know if you saw him). He has a Northern Diver membrane suit which he is about to sell as he's had a Seaskin MTM. His Northern Diver suit was always too small for him. I'll give him a shout and direct him your way if you are interested.

Helen xxx

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Seaskin are probably one of the best value for money suits at the moment. They make them all MTM, and do both neo and membrane, so if you decide to buy new, have a look: Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
A vote for Protec Dry Suits here. They have a range of suit options (thus prices) and are MTM. Entry level suits are around the £300 and their top-of-the-range suits are about as good as membrane gets. SO, there's the link; worth having a chat to, at least. I have no links to them, other than the fact that I bought a suit off them recently and was thoroughly impressed from start to finish.

S.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Wharever one you choose, get one that fits you properly. It probably means MTM but you will never be comfortable in a drysuit that is baggy or too tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts