YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmm
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A bit of advice is required please, about my drysuit zip:

Upon picking up my drysuit from Otter, I asked for some wax to put on the zip (as I was shown on my course, at the end of every dive), however I was advised not to wax it, but to use some product with a name like "Aqua something" that seems to be solvent based after every 6 or so dives. All fine, they know best.

2 weeks later we go to pick up my father-in-laws suit from Otter, and I ask for a bottle of the "Aqua-Thingy", and am told, no, don't use that, use this wax after every dive. Same shop, same suits, different advice.

So, what do you do?

Thanks,

Daniel.

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Rub wax on the zip once it's dry (while zip is open and closed) then put some aqua zip and let it run into the zip mechanism. Don't do it after every dive though :angel:

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
When I picked up my O3 I was given zip slip and beeswak.

I was advised to use the zipslip on the inside part and then close the zip and use the beeswax.

They also said to only do it after every few dives or when it gets a little stiffer.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Wax is sh1t for zips as it gums up the teeth and makes it stiff. The best ziplube out there is the cheapo Beaver stuff- my zip is a smooth as silk and people who do it up comment on how lovely it is.

Beaver make some tatt but this is a Good Product.

This stuff:

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I use beeswax every now and again. Give it a good going over and use a hairdryer to melt it right in (don't use the dryer too close or too hot).

Then I use ZipSlip regularly, like every time I get home after a trip and even mid-trip. No such thing as too much of this stuff as far as I'm concerned.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I've usede candlewax and beeswax, (still got a big block left from my apiarist days) and I've found candlewax to be way better. Had the same suit for 6 years now, never had a problem with the zip.

·
Somewhere in the sea!!
113 Posts
Candle Wax

Candle wax.. I have used it on my suit since I got and I have never had a problem. I rub in on the zip when close and then open and close the zip a few times… and again only after a fews dive. It just depends on what you find works best for you.

Have fun

TTFN

TD

PS it is also fairly cheap! :)

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I've usede candlewax and beeswax, (still got a big block left from my apiarist days) and I've found candlewax to be way better. Had the same suit for 6 years now, never had a problem with the zip.
That's interesting.

Maybe I'll try some ski wax and see how that goes - I've tried candle wax on skis and it's crap btw.

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
The best zip lubricant I have ever used was a silicone oil.

BUT IF you use this please be aware you will NEVER be able to replace a zip, as the miniscule amount of silicone will make it impossible to glue in the replacement.

Most other lubes use a wax, beeswax or parafin, either on their own or in combination with a solvent such as paraffin. Too much wax say from over waxing, and the teeth accumulate a gunge as Woz said.

I would go for a solvent based lube, (I'm too chicken to use heat as a solvent), and I lube once per trip (usually before putting the suit to bed), or if the zip wasn't running freely.

With time you will find you need to lube less as the zip seems to either absorb something or develop a varnish which is self lubricating.

Cheers, Paul

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
however I was advised not to wax it, but to use some product with a name like "Aqua something" that seems to be solvent based after every 6 or so dives. All fine, they know best.

2 weeks later we go to pick up my father-in-laws suit from Otter, and I ask for a bottle of the "Aqua-Thingy", and am told, no, don't use that, use this wax after every dive. Same shop, same suits, different advice.

So, what do you do?
As you can see, some people like wax, others don't. As mentioned, some products will cause problems if you need to replace the zip, so be careful about these.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi
My favorit:
Floating (liquid) paraffin .
Goes in between the teeth. And also lubricates the rubber surface and makes the zip shoe (free translation from swedish) glide “friction-free” to save that part aswell.

Guess a liter at your local paintshop will cost approx. 3-4£ .
Normaly applied with a small bruch after every each dive or so, it will last for 200 years or so.
And can be cleaned off if you need to do some repair.

If you by a misstake had silicon somewhere there you later on want to put glue. Ask some car painter for his “cleaning thinners”. Some of them got real nasty s—t to remove it from carbodies.

I also agree with Woz and Foggy/Paul.

Best regards

Tord
Hi,

A bit of advice is required please, about my drysuit zip:

Upon picking up my drysuit from Otter, I asked for some wax to put on the zip (as I was shown on my course, at the end of every dive), however I was advised not to wax it, but to use some product with a name like "Aqua something" that seems to be solvent based after every 6 or so dives. All fine, they know best.

So, what do you do?

Thanks,

Daniel.

·
Mmmmmmmm
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for your replies. It seems as if it is can be a bit of a personal choice. I'll keep with the AquaZip stuff for now, since I have a jar full.

Daniel.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
The Beaver ziplube stuff is basically candle wax flakes in paraffin.
yup and it smells luvverly too.

zip gets lubed before 1st dive of the day and after the last dive of the day, lovely smooth zip and like Woz people comment on how smooth and easy the zip is.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I use ordinary zip wax.
I keep it in the suit pocket. Put the suit on, give it a slide down both sides, dive.

The zip stays nice and smooth and since it is a front entry type and has to slide right over my shoulder I need it that way.
It only goes on the outside where the slider runs. Don't put anything on the teeth. They don't need it and it bungs things up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts