YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Guys
I see a lot of you are planning to possibly purchase dry suits at the 'show', dont forget a few shops offer special deals during show time as their sales drop off. I got mine at Mikes and got a good deal rather than going to Brum and getting it there. One slight advantage of a local shop is getting any problems sorted locally rather than having to send the suit back, which can be very expensive and time consuming.
Just a thought.

Matt

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Being in the market for a drysuit myself, I've been giving this some thought - and what I'm planning to do is go up to Divers Warehouse for their relocation sale next week (the one they've been advertising in the dive mags). Long drive, but hopefully going to be worth it...

Tom

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Pick me up a Sitech autodump while you're there wouldja?

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Tom, I reckon you have the best plan, unfortunately I don't have anyway of getting there or I would go up myself. I'm just going to have to hope they have some left at the show.

Conor

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Imported post

Tom, you might like to take a look at www.roho.co.uk while your up here. They have put a budget suit together to try and attract trade because they don't go to the dive shows.

Personally I've got an Otter from DW and I'm very happy with it but if you want other options it might be worth taking a look.

Their shop is about 15 mins drive from Divers Warehouse.

It's on their Special Offers page by the way, made from the same material as the RoHo Commercial.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Conor,
If you are after an Otter drysuit, and you are going to the dive show, if they don't have what you want, ask them if they will honour their show prices... a couple of years ago, I was made redundant, so couldn't buy at the show, but they said that they would honour the show prices when I got another job...

(BTW, I really like my Hammerhead Pro...)

abucksdiver

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I got mine at the dive show - if they don't have what you want there, that doesn't stop you from buying it then and there anyway. That's what I did, as I wanted one MTM..

They had to get an extra tape measure - I went off the scale
Fits fine tho.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Richard: thanks for the tip, some pretty good deals on that page so looks like it might be worth checking them out as well.

Dominic: I hear they do mail order as well ;)

Conor: I'd offer you a lift but I think you're a wee bit out of my way and it's a bloody long drive as it is (hope it's going to be worth the effort!). There's always the train.

I'm after a pony setup as well, so it's going be an expensive trip...

Cheers
Tom

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Oct. 21 2003,13:02)]I got mine at the dive show - snip-
They had to get an extra tape measure - I went off the scale
Fits fine tho.
Dom,
I know what you mean, I am going to have to get one MTM as well (will probably order it at the show. Anyone want to see if we can get further discount for quantity?).
When I did my drysuit course the largest suit they had was so tight round the thighs that I had to not use the undersuit!

Simon A

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Oct. 21 2003,10:39)]Unfortunately I don't have anyway of getting there
<font color='#000080'>Conor,

I'll be heading up to the show from London and would be happy to come across and pick you up. The only snag is that I'll be going home to Manchester afterwards, so you'd have to find your own way home. Don't know if it's any help to you. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

As it's doubtful I can get to the relocation sale Just wondering about the Divers Warehouse relocation sale
ie How will their pre relocation Sale prices compair to the ones they have at the show?

I'm in the market for a Drysuit at the show and will compair like to like although I 'll probably buy from Diverswarehouse at the show if their deals are competative enough.

So far Simon A and Tom looking for a suit then?

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Actualy, I am unfortunately going to have to fork out for 2 drysuits! one for me and one for the wife. (why did I ever take her on that first try dive!)
Simon A

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Add me to the list, what is the collective term for Otters ?

Mark, we can compare shopping lists on t'boat

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Just found it, a 'Bevy' of Otters, or I guess a 'flotilla' of Britannics. God only knows what it is for Narvics

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Trip Report: Diver's Warehouse Clearance Sale.

For those who were talking about this on the other thread: Conor - don't worry, there weren't any £50 Brittanics (not that I saw anyway, some marked at £450 though) and Dominic - if you wanted a reg to go with that £85 pony you were looking at quite a bit more...

Having decided to go get myself a drysuit and pony, I hauled myself out of bed at horrid o'clock this morning to tackle the 220 mile trip to Bradford and the Diver's Warehouse clearance sale. It was bloody cold, and I had to scrape ice off the windscreen for the first time this year. With my fingernails. Bloody Kylie, never around when you need her.

As I sped (under the speed limit of course, and watching out for cameras) through the darkness towards Bradford, at least I was able to amuse myself with the thought that many hundreds of people were probably already queuing up outside Stoney (if anyone reading this was - SORRY!). Anyway, I made good time and eventually arrived just before 10 - much earlier than I had previously planned (I'd been aiming to get there for about lunchtimish, which would have been a VERY bad mistake).

Nice and early I thought (the place opened at 9.30) - there were quite a few cars outside, but who knows, I might be in time to pick up one of those £50 computers they were advertising....

NOT.

Obviously, there were about a thousand people milling around, and queing up with the goodies they'd run in and nabbed. Apparently all the computers went in the first 2 minutes of opening. Anyway, being a cheapskate I headed straight for the ex-rental section and immediately started picking up anything and everything that looked interesting. Once I had an armful of stuff safely out of the clutches of the other customers (competetive, me?) I was able to relax a bit and look at what I'd grabbed and decide if I actually wanted it. Turned out I did - 8 month old 02 clean pony for £50, and an Apeks DS4/TX40 in good nick for £100 to go with it. Considering I'd been expecting to spend £180ish on a pony with a cheapshit Cressi reg, I was quite pleased with this even if it was secondhand.

Right then, drysuit. Up to the top floor of the crumbling semi-derelict mill building next door.

It was like a scene from Dante's Inferno (the one about Hell, not the one with Pierce Brosnan and the volcano - though some of the scenes in that came close). Or the bottom carpark at Stoney midway through a saturday afternoon.

Many, many, many, many people were swarming all over the ex-demo drysuit racks. It was difficult to even get near the 'good stuff', let alone try them on, and the pricing structure was far from clear - is this Otter Brittannic I'm trying on one of the 'make us an offer' bargains, or the 'as new and still pretty expensive' ones? Oh, the second one? OK, I'll put it back then... didn't like it anyway. Honest.

I shambled through the crowds in quite a serious state of distress. Things were cheaper than usual, but still more than I'd been hoping. None of the cheapo ex-rental stuff looked anything like my size. Even though I had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for, I could only find a  handful of (affordable) suits that came anywhere near fitting the bill - anything that was the right height / boot size was WAY too baggy round the waist (and I'm not exactly stick-thin). And stuff was vanishing off the racks very, very fast. At a couple of points during my quest I was at the stage of walking out and going to look elsewhere, thinking that coming up all that way had been a waste of time.

At one point, I got as far as the exit - then turned back to have another look, as the crowd had died down a little by then. And eventually I found a suit - sold to me by one of the shop guys using the simple technique of saying 'yes, that fits you'. With a sales pitch like that, it was a done deal...

So - I ended up getting an as-new ex-demo Otter Skin, complete with (ex-rental - but it smells a lot less now I've washed it) undersuit, hood, hose, valves, bag etc, for £300. Got it so cheap because it had a damaged wrist seal - which they're replacing free of charge, and sticking on a cargo pocket for another £25. On the basis of my limited interactions with them so far, I'd tend to agree with the people who say they do good customer service.

At one point in the morning I thought it had all been a horrible mistake, and complete waste of time. But by lunchtime I was much happier, and still am - even with the £25ish for petrol to get up there, I think I got a good deal. And if it turns out to be leaky or whatever I can always sell it for a profit on ebay.

So, anyway, here I am - bit of a wrench for the old Visa card, but I've got some stuff I've been needing - the next challenge is working out what to do with this pony thingy. I've already had a go at rigging it up. I think the technical term  for the configuration I've devised is "clusterf*ck" - expect many questions over the next few weeks...

Bloody hell, haven't I typed a big old load of nonsense. Blame the sleep deprivation, and the Heineken...

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts