YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

At last, after 5 weeks of messing about, I have a new drysuit!  My old one is membrane, this is neoprene.  Will my weight be affrected?  If so, will I need more or less and will it be much?  Thanks in anticipation.  Dive safely.  

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Short answer: Yes!

You don't say what type of neoprene, uncompressed or compressed.

Are you using the same undersuit?

Unless its pre compressed you'll find that you need more weight at the surface to get down and then need loads of gas to combat the compression at depth.

Try it in the pool with your cylinder/s at 35 bar. See what you need to get down to 2 mtr and hover with no gas in your BC or suit.

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Agreed; as a rule you'll need more with a neoprene, especially if it's uncompressed, but in that case it's unlikely you'll be wearing an undersuit, I can only get thin thermals on under my 8mm neo. However, I suspect you've probably gone for 4mm compressed neo?
Chee-az
Steve

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I had a feeling it would be more, remembering the slight struggle I had until 10m with my semi dry!  It's a Typhoon Seamaster, 5mm titanium neoprene.  I wanted a membrane again, but had a choice - get a neoprene or a made to measure membrane costing £60  or so more.  It wasn't a difficult choice...

I'm still not too sure re. undersuits.  I usually wear thermals and a thinsulate, but might sack the thinsulate and wear thermals and terry towelling tracksuit.  I'll see.  I really wanted a membrane though.  I much prefer them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts