YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

· UK GUE Instructor
1,423 Posts
I agree, divers are just using BC D's to cover up for a lack of diving skill. My father didn't use a dry suit or a BCD just a wet suit tank and webbing harness. He had no problems and dived like it for years.

Second regulators are another thing he never used they were taught to do proper buddy breathing ascents none of this "lack of skill" long hose or octo crap.

Divers today are too quick to cover up an obvious lack of diving skill with crap like back up regs, BCD's and twin bladder wings.

That Kevin Gurr fella now hes reeeeeelllyyy crap. I mean he uses back up regs, a dry suit AND a duel bladder wing then theres Mark Ellyatt theres another double wing numptie diver. Kevin and Mark should really just own up to being crap divers, tear up their dozen or so instructors certs and get some proper training.

ATB

Mark Chase ;)
Yep tquite right... in fact why bother with regs at all, if you were really good you could hold your breath.

Don't knock it though, i spent a couple of weeks a few years ago doing scuby diving in a drysuit and backplate just to see what my dad was going on about. It was quite nice really, much like my single wing setup but with less drag, and much better than my old fenzy and wetsuit setup.

Anyway, to clarify somethings can be solved with practice, some can be solved with kit. maybe one shouldn't substitute kit to solve a problem that training and practice can solve better.

· A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,284 Posts
Erm, not sure if I'm right but isn't the original post about buoyancy at the surface?

Yes but dont let that fact detract from a good rant :D

ATB

Mark Chase

· Registered
24,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Erm, not sure if I'm right but isn't the original post about buoyancy at the surface?
yep!

Yes but dont let that fact detract from a good rant :D

ATB

Mark Chase
....and all the other excellent points that have come up :)

A guy who dives with us is slowly 'updating' his kit. He still uses an ABLJ & dry suit. Gets on very well with it, too. It was rather amusing on a dive a few weeks ago to have him buddy RB diver... the very old to the very new.

:)

· Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
15,970 Posts
yep!

....and all the other excellent points that have come up :)

A guy who dives with us is slowly 'updating' his kit. He still uses an ABLJ & dry suit. Gets on very well with it, too. It was rather amusing on a dive a few weeks ago to have him buddy RB diver... the very old to the very new.

:)
I think I read somewhere that RBs were used in the first world war but I might have that completely wrong, so am prepared to be sternly corrected :)

· Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
15,970 Posts
This week I think... can't knock the bags of death either till i try one out, hopefully it wqon't kill me if Pauls looking after it. If you fancy a laugh come watch.

B
I might just do that. Pool or sea?

Don't you worry, I'm a Rescue Diver - I'll save you :)

· UK GUE Instructor
1,423 Posts
I might just do that. Pool or sea?

Don't you worry, I'm a Rescue Diver - I'll save you :)
Prob in the sea, i don't like pools.

Anyway Kirst what d'ya reckon about the lad and his drysuit, i reckon he was over weighted or had a loose neck seal. The double bladder wouldn't have really saved his arse anyway, as it's recomended that the 2nd bladder not be connected due to the higher chance of a runaway inflation.

Most that dive double bladder and drysuit have the 2nd bladder inflation mounted alongside the drysuit hose coming from the right. In the event of need the 2nd bladder one disconnects the drysuit and plugs it into the 2nd inflation unit. At the surface this would be plain stoopid, as you have 1 working form of buoyancy - the drysuit, and to disconnect this during an emergency leaving you with NO Buoyancy while you hook up the 2nd bladder is pretty much suicide.

So in my opinion the only answer is to make sure your drysuit can float your sorry arse in the event that you need to use it. I know mine does.

· A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,284 Posts

Anyway Kirst what d'ya reckon about the lad and his drysuit, i reckon he was over weighted or had a loose neck seal. The double bladder wouldn't have really saved his arse anyway, as it's recomended that the 2nd bladder not be connected due to the higher chance of a runaway inflation.

Most that dive double bladder and drysuit have the 2nd bladder inflation mounted alongside the drysuit hose coming from the right. In the event of need the 2nd bladder one disconnects the drysuit and plugs it into the 2nd inflation unit. At the surface this would be plain stoopid, as you have 1 working form of buoyancy - the drysuit, and to disconnect this during an emergency leaving you with NO Buoyancy while you hook up the 2nd bladder is pretty much suicide.

So in my opinion the only answer is to make sure your drysuit can float your sorry arse in the event that you need to use it. I know mine does.

Conecting hoses underwater is a bad plan and leaving the valves exposed to salt water all the time is equaly bad. Id opt for in line isolation using something like I use on my BOV or a seporate wing inflate bottle like a dry bag bottle that i could just reach back and switch on.

I have practiced dry suit ascents using full twinsets and two steel 10ltr stages also full and its fine as long as you stay horizontal. Going heads up results in water ingress arround the neck and god knows what id do on the surface. My best idea was to send up a lift bag. At least if I had to dekit I could hook it all on the lift bag and there is a chance i could recover it.

ATB

Mark Chase

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts

thats me F**d you havent ordered my suit inflation bottle yet have you!!!

so next time i go diving and cant get to the surface because i have no suit inflation i hope you can sleep

Graham

PS i want one of these

Attachments

· UK GUE Instructor
1,423 Posts

· Very Senior Member
1,882 Posts

· GUE Instructor
9,157 Posts
Got married - took liisas name as she was attached to it? I didn't think it was that unusual at the time..........

:teeth:
Well, firstly, congratulations.

Now then, let's see

Gareth Jackson. hmmmm. Nope, doesn't work for me :)

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.