YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

decided to invest in a new drysuit and the DUI CF200 seems like the one, before i put the grin back on my bank managers face, does any one have any negative comments on DUI suits? i'd be interested to hear of any problems people have had,or are these suits really that good??

Cheers all
Dunk

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Dunk,

I've had my DUI TLS 350 for just over two years now, bought it new from SDS for £741, and it's one of the soundest investments I've ever made mate. Never let me down, never leaked, comfy as sin and easy to get in and out of due to being a, ahem, 'front-loader'. And the rock-boot system means that you're not having to put it into the shop to have your booties replaced as they don't wear out - you just buy a new pair of rock-boots as and when the needs arises. Happy as a pig in the proverbial.

Yes, you can believe the hype - they're as good as they say they are!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Glad your suited Bren (pun intended) any one else got any feedback? looks like my wallets gonna take a beating at this rate!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I haven't got one (can't afford it) but, in my opinion, they are the Rolls Royce of the drysuit world. I believe DUI are the only people who make crushed neoprene drysuits (as opposed to compressed neoprene). There are lots of them here in Sweden and they do indeed seem to last for ever. They are also extremely comfortable to wear. The only drawbacks I can see are the weight (they're very heavy, which can be a problem when you're travelling to cold water diving destinations abroad) and the price.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You do sometimes hear of people having problems with a DUI suit. I gather that because they don't crush the suit until they've stitched it all up, you can get a poor fit by the crushing not happening evenly all over, or something like that.

The basic consensus seems to be, you can't beat a good DUI, it's just that not every DUI is a good one..

Personally, I don't see the point - there's enough other drysuits on the market that are tough, don't leak, and fit comfortably. And are half the price.

But if you've got the money and the urge, go for it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

Apart from the 'Dry Until Immersed' jokes that I have to put up with, I have no problems at all with my DUI CLX450 - very comfortable, very tough and very dry.
Agree with Bren, the front zip makes getting kitted up quick (maybe it makes it easier to reach back to isolate too?) and the rock boots are pretty good (you do need to be a bit more careful with the soft socks though and getting the boots on in a rocking boat can be a bit uncomfortable/seasick provoking).
HTH
Robert

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the feedback guys, "dry until immersed" have come accross that one - looks like no one one can say anything bad about these suits (except the price) oh well its looking very promising! anyone think of a alternative? O'three? hear their good but never spoke to anyone whose dived one.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

From UKRS:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well I wouldn't buy a DUI again. I bought one 8 years ago (CFX 200 tech)
and sure, it was OK for a while, but it started to get damp and soggy - I
had the zip replaced and a handfull of small holes on the back, but
eventually it started to delaminate and the material was looking very thin
in places, so I binned it and bought an O'Three. Never been as comfortable
or as warm in a suit as my O'Three.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

I'd echo what Bren and others have said about DUI suits.  I've got a TLS-350 and a CLX-450.  I love the TLS so much, I hardly ever use the CLX now.  Personally, I don't like the rock boots though.  My CLX has them, my TLS doesn't.

A friend of mine took delivery of a Special Production TLS a few weeks ago from SDS.  Due to a "measuring error" the arms were about 4" too short.  They sent it back to San Diego, got it fixed and returned it to him within about 3 weeks, no charge.

Good service or what?

My advice - get a TLS from SDS (with turbo soles).

Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

thanks for the info bob, any reason you dont like the rock boots? - they were one of the things that made the suit appeal to me. have you had bad experience with em?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Duncan @ May 23 2003,02:08)]thanks for the info bob, any reason you dont like the rock boots? - they were one of the things that made the suit appeal to me. have you had bad experience with em?
I'm with Bob on the not liking rock boots front.

There are a few reasons really. There absolutly great on the surface for climbing over rocks :) But they are a bit of a pain to get fins over. You may have to buy fins with much larger pockets than you would usually (depending on the size of your feet) and this may restrict your choice. Especially if you after a pair of jet fins

Also I don't like the idea of laces. I know they get tidied away by a strap but IMHO it's one more thing to come undone and get tangled with.

Some people have mentioned that they don't like finning with them on as their a bit stiff and too much like hiking boots.

YMMV of course and all IMHO.

For my money you're better off dispensing with the rock boots and either getting some neoprene shoes or getting the turbo soles fitted. I've got the turbo soles on my TLS350 and their great and a lot less hassle.

BTW I'd also recommend a TLS.

HTH
Rob.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Imported post

I have a DUI CF200 and while I like the Rock boots, they do suffer from some of the problems that people have mentioned.

I now use wetsuit boots instead of the Rock boots as my old ones wore out and the booties were cheaper! They also seem to keep my feet a bit warmer.

Rooster

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

I've just ordered my TLS and 400g thinsulate. Can't wait. Tried it on and it is just so much better than any other drysuit I've ever tried.

WL

PS Question: Hey Rob, did you get the 400g booties for your thinsulate or do you use something else?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

I`ve had my CF200 for about 7 years. Never had the slightest problem with it, whilst cheaper suits my mates have brought have caused them all sorts of problems. I had Rock Boots retro fitted a couple of years ago. They are great for shore diving. One tip is to thread the laces thru` every other hole on the boots. It makes getting them on a lot easier, especially on a pitching boat. As mentioned, a cheaper and easier option to the Rock Boots may be a pair of neoprene wet boots, but you need to buy them a size or two bigger to go over the socks.

If I had to buy another suit, it would definitely be a DUI, or maybe an O`Three

SL1

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I've got a TLS, and made the mistake of getting them with rockboots. I don't like them because it was a pain finding fins that I liked to fit them, the string that you pull tight to 'tie' them never stays tucked in and floats all over the place, and they restricted my ankle movement so I couldn't frog kick properly.

Rather than getting Turbosoles, I bought some thin wetsuit shoes, only about £12 and they go over the socks now. I can wear my favourite fins and frogkick properly, without having to worry about putting a hole in the socks. If you're buying off the peg, then bin the rockboots and buy the wetsuit shoes.

Oh, and I know people with CFs and two things they do say is that the suit is VERY heavy, even when dry, and it is a pig to find leaks in, as the material allows the bubbles to 'move' inside it, so the bubbles do not necessarily come out where the leak is!

HTH,

Chris

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the feedback everyone, went for the CF200x!!
with rock boots. so stay tuned for my opinion once ive had chance to get wet in it

Cheers all

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Sorry for not replying to the rockboot issue, I've been away for a week or so.

Reasons I don't like the rock boots:
1. They are a pain to get on and off and to get "comfortable"
2. They make my feet cold (probably because I overtighten the laces?)
3. Consider what might happen if the laces loosen and the boot (and fin) falls off?
4. Consider what happens if you arrive on the boat, put on your suit and find you've left the rock boots at home, in the car or whatever.
5. Jet fins are incredibly difficult to get off at the end of a dive.  So much so that I used to spray silicone spray in the foot pocket as a release agent.

The suit sock is a neat idea though, means you can turn the whole suit inside out for drying.  When I get my CLX out of mothballs, I'll replace the rockboots with a wetsuit bootie instead.

Hope this helps.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts