YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rich D
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i've only dived with a 15l steel with my own kit....

all other things equal - how would changing from 15l steel to 12l steel effect weighting?

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
For me, less lead going fron a 15 to a 12. Sorry, I can't remember how much , I don't own a single 12 so only when I have borrowed one have I done this.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
if its a dumpy you may need a little less.
if its a long 12 then it will be about the same

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I dive with a steel 15l for my first dive and 12.2l dumpy for my second. I dont change lead or weighting at all. I don't honestly notice ANY difference in the water.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've swapped a few times and not noticed a massive difference, maybe would have been slightly more comfortable deducting a kilo, but as mine are in 3kilo blocks i tend to leave it, and as i said, not massivly different!

good luck x

·
Registered
49 Posts
shouldn't be much of a difference, maybe half a kilo? i dive with both 12l steel and 12l ali tanks, and add 2kg for the difference. when i dive deep with 15l steel i dont change any weights from the 12l steel as generally the change in wetsuit bouyancy is slight, theres no need to drop any weights. i usually dive 12l steel to a depth of about 25-30m, and 15l steel any deeper, but dont notice any real weight change. hope this helps!!!

·
Still wet behind the ears ;)
266 Posts
I dive with a steel 15l for my first dive and 12.2l dumpy for my second. I dont change lead or weighting at all. I don't honestly notice ANY difference in the water.
I do exactly the same except that I do my second dive on a tall 12.2l, I don't change my lead and again once in the water I can't tell the difference between the two cylinders.

Irfon

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
oooerr... when I used to dive with a 15 +pony, I used to have to drop at least a kilo compared to when I was diving with a 12 + pony.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts