YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi,

It was Josie's birthday this Sunday. I won't say her age. we tipped up at Dunbar harbour for an early dive at Johnsons hole for the 09.30 hight tide. Chris and Alistair were there to dive with her, as she's an Ocean Diver and Chris lives locally (Advanced Diver I think) and Alistair had not dived since July and wanted to get wet again.

09.50 and they finally get into the water, from the platform at the end of the Harbour, 10 minutes after 5 - 6 other divers. Anyway 20 mins later, the other divers are exiting via the beach and I spot a lone diver finning on his back toward the beach. Its Alistair and he's on his own? Seems he got separated and is coming in. When he reaches the shore up pops Chris and Josie. I give the OK sign and wait their reply. An right arm goes up but a few seconds later it waves(?) over to the left and back and then they seem to be moving/drifting back out past the island (Johnsons hole). I watched and then jogged round the the harbour wall to see if I can get closer to see if everythings ok. Can't see them. Back at the beach they're gone, appearing to be futher out round the corner, nearing the open sea. Fearing Josie's too tyred to swin agaist the current I think 'Thats it'. I jog (hey i'm getting unfit in my old age) round to the RNLI station and call the first mobile number on the list outside, and tell Dave (on the list) what I've seen. Five minutes later all the cavalry arrive as cars are arriving from allover and the first three guys proceed to take the insore rib out to where I have described I saw them last. They search and they search. A volunteer asks me where exactly I saw them last, I describe it and she returns inside. A few minutes later they've been found and are safe.

It appears Chris was indicating they were OK and were going down again (thumb pointing down, when I throught he was waving) to continue the dive after ensuring Alistair was safely ashore. Josie reports. They decended back in and with crap vis started to return to the site but Chris was signalling We were 'three but now are two', which Josie takes to mean 'Stay here for three minutes' She does as Chris swims off, but when he promptly returns, and indicates for her to follow 'home' she follows. Chris is a faster swimmer than Josie who can only just keep up When she nearly looses Chris (she thought he was going right instead of left), seeing she has 50 bar left (max 12 m with a 15L) Josie decided to surface. On suracing the Life Boat promptly comes over and she's told 'Get in'. 'Are you on an excersise or have you been called out' Josie replies, 'We're here for you', say the crew. When Josie's in the boat up arrives Chris. He insists he's ok to  swim back up the beach (only 20 - 30m). The crew stay to ensure he's back on land safely, then they return to the harbour.

I can only say that they're a great bunch of guys and were very humble to my apologies, saying I was best to phone when in doubt in any case.

Needless to say my Subs are in the post and I'm only sorry I didn't join earlier. What great people they are to respond, and then not to get upset when it turned out to be a false alarm. I know who is top of my Christmas card list this year.

Dave C

Cheers and Thumbs up to the RNLI.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hey Dave - I'm sure that they are more than happy it was a false alarm considering the potential other outcomes for a lost diver.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Glad to hear it was just that, a false alarm.
Still, serves as a good nudge in the ribs to any other YD-ers that haven't yet gotten around to supporting "our" 4th Emergency service, eh?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts