YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aye up,

Well the date finally came around for the Dundee University mob to relocate to Stromness for some early season Scapa wreck Godliness.

The team consisted of a mob of Uni dudes, plus Tim D from Liverpool and his German buddies (Mad Bavarian Woman and friend) and also Fatboy (Paul) and his buddy Steve Thingy. A motley crew by any account.

We managed to find Scrabster within an hour of each other and had "tea and crumpets" in the ferry pier cafe for brekkie before meeting a couple of divers whom the Dundee Uni mob had actually rescued earlier in the year at Loch Long (full on helicopter and everything)

We arrived in Stromness to enjoy the pleasures of MV Invincible and prepare for the week. BTW the crossing was calm but the forecast was grim!

We bumped into a few YDers including Kath and her pals on the "Karin" during an inaugural bevvie in the Ferry Inn. Things looked likely to get lively.

The first days diving (Sunday) was interesting due to pretty strong winds on our way out to the Dresden. The skipper, Ian, assured us that we would be fine and he would be able to pick us up safely. So we dropped on the wreck for a fantastic first dive followed up with a foray on the F2. Some of us followed the correct line to the barge, others missed it and had to put up with gentle ribbing in the pub later. Ian was great at placing divers in the lee of the boat to pick us up in relatively calm water. This gave everybody confidence that we could cope with the windy conditions at the surface.

The wind stayed with us for a couple of days but we still managed to dive the Koln and Brummer on day 2.

Day 3 was interesting, we aimed for the Kronprinz (38m battleship) and the shot was sitting on the seabed with no wreck in sight. Tim and I chose a direction and swam for 5 minutes, without finding the wreck,before doing an about turn and deploying a DSMB and getting back on board.

Others had better fortune, the wreck was apparently only ten metres to our left but the darkness prevented us from seeing it, much to the inevitable mocking back on board. Half of us found it the other half didnt.

The weather started to break on wednesday and we enjoyed the fruits (and guns) of the Konig, Koln, Markgraf (special favourite) and Tabarka, before returing to a newly shotted Kronprinz on friday. We poked the big 12 inch guns on mass (diver soup) which is actually testament to the confidence of the group since you have to swim under the wreck at almost 40 metres.

We finished in blue skys and flat calm waters on the Dresden and even found the captain's bath.

A fantastic week! You could see people growing in confidence in what were difficlut conditions to start with. All were rewarded with great dives on fabulous wrecks and they also trialled the Scapa version of WreckSight software and images.

The other reason for being there was to hand over trial versions of the WreckSight software to the Scapa Dive Boat operators to use with divers this season prior to the commercial version being released later in the year.
So if you are up there this season let me know what you think.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Nice report Chris, glad it all went well.............looks like yr bro wants his 'own' thread to report back. Sibling rivalry? Comparing the number of replies/views :D

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
The other reason for being there was to hand over trial versions of the WreckSight software to the Scapa Dive Boat operators to use with divers this season prior to the commercial version being released later in the year.
So if you are up there this season let me know what you think.
VersionS, so does this mean that more than the Invincible has a copy, for instance do H & H have a copy that we can play with later this year too?

Reactions: 861-218

·
death is certain life is not!
1,371 Posts
VersionS, so does this mean that more than the Invincible has a copy, for instance do H & H have a copy that we can play with later this year too?

in answer to this yes they do.

Nice report Chris, glad it all went well.............looks like yr bro wants his 'own' thread to report back. Sibling rivalry? Comparing the number of replies/views

and in answer to this Jane
i didnt see his report before i put mine on and anyway he kept missing wrecks that are huge.
im sure he will now retaliate.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts