YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone Heard of, know of or dived this place.

I'm told there's a "sunken" village off the coast of Suffolk. Is it diveable?

A mate of mines on holiday down that way and someone mentioned it to him. He is prone to flights of fancy though so it is quite possibly a hoax!:embarassed:

Cheers all

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Here you go mate DUNWICH although if it's anything like the village that was in front of Cromer years ago I imagine there won't be much left.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not really the question, but I half-remember that Dunwich was one of the most notorious of the "rotten boroughs" until the 1832 reform act. It continued to "elect" two MPs long after it had fallen into the sea. The MPs were simply chosen by the local landowner. Most other rotten boroughs at least had some pretence at an electorate, even if effectively controlled by the local bigwig.

Hywel

·
Buzz
617 Posts
There is a protected wreck on Dunwich bank and apparently the remains of a roman road!

There is not much left of Dunwich itself: a greasy spoon by the beach, a pub and a few houses plus the ruins of a church type building.

I imagine that underwater would be little of interest (to a casual diver). Perhaps a lump of stone or two from the old churches.

On the other hand you might be interested in cycling the Dunwich Dynamo. It is a 120 mile overnight bike ride from Hackney to Dunwich in July. I did it last year and was grateful for said greasy spoon as it was a bit wet when I arrived.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts