YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Has anyone got any advice on preventing ear infections? I'm off to sunnier climes in 4 weeks and plan to get at least 20 dives in, but I'm worried about ear infections that I seem to pick up all too easy.

Thanks

GM

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Imported post

I used to get a lot of ear infections when I was younger and also got one from doing lots of snorkelling the year before I started diving.

I found out about an ear drop solution called Swim Ear. It evaporates any water that gets trapped in your ear's after diving/swimming/etc. You get a warm tingling session in your ears once you've put a couple of drops in. I've found it works really well.

I did struggle to find it in the UK, but I think I've seen it in boots this year. I actually got mine on the plane on my way to a diving holiday last year

I've found it really helps stop infections and keep my ears clear. After a few days diving I tend to feel a bit deaf and this stuff really helps.

Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I find Swim Ear a bit aggressive.  I use Ear Calm not after every dive, but at the end of the day, it does the same as Swim Ear but is actually for ear infections. I do have a friend who uses Swim Ear everyday though without any problems

Fiona

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I am a Swim Ear user - after every dive. I don't think it has any particular anti bacterial agent in it, it just dries the inside of your ear our thereby denying the ideal breeding place for bugs.

I had an ear infection on hols in Menorca a few years back - at that time I thought that was the worst pain/discomfort I had ever suffered. The dive pro that I had been diving with put me on to it as they were very prone to them as a result of doing pool try dives at resort hotels.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I'm told diluted Vinegar works fairly well.
Just rinsing your ears out with clean water will help, of course.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Offshore saturation divers get ear problems almost as soon as you mention "chamber" to them - I used to give them a vinegar based solution called Domebro (wrong spelling, I'm sure) as a regular prophylactic on our DSV.

Glad to see that (so far) no-one has recommended using Gentisone, or any other antibiotic drops just-in-case.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hyperbaric @ Nov. 04 2003,15:46)]Offshore saturation divers get ear problems almost as soon as you mention "chamber" to them - I used to give them a vinegar based solution called Domebro (wrong spelling, I'm sure) as a regular prophylactic on our DSV.

Glad to see that (so far) no-one has recommended using Gentisone, or any other antibiotic drops just-in-case.
You knew we would have to look that word up !!!!!

I was not aware that using antibiotic drops (?) was a no no?

Rgds
Bryan

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I used to get ear infections, especially when doing multiple dives over multiple days.  I have found that rinsing with fresh water after the dive has just about stopped the problem occuring..

If I start to get any symptoms I will confess to using Gentisome or similar and a diving ENT did give me a great tip for dealing with the onset of ear infections using a over the counter remedy if a prescription version is not available.

Daz

If anyone want's to know the advice he gave me then PM and I will PM back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You knew we would have to look that word up !!!!!
Just had a look on Google. It is Domeboro, not Domebro.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was not aware that using antibiotic drops (?) was a no no?
Using any antibiotic should only be done when indicated, preferably when an infective agent has been identified.

Hopefully the days of GP's handing out antibiotics to patients with nothing more than a viral infection are gone, but inappropriate use of topical antibiotics like gentamicin (in Gentisone) can lead to the same problem of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts