YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

I work in canary wharf tower, and whenever I am going down in the lift (restraint please!) I need to clear my ears.  No one else seems to need to do this, and I occassionally get funny looks holding my nose and blowing.

Similar thing happens if I go down a hill quick in the car.

Could this be a sign of dodgy ears or something?

Any insights or familiar experience?

Paul

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Sinbad

My ears are very sensative as well, they pop going over Detling Hill every day, and thats not very high at all. I have no problems diving with them, in fact it appears to be an advantage as i can sense depth changes via my ears a lot better than most.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

All perfectly normal.
A few tips you might want to try.

See if you can vary your rate of descent, the lift is almost certainly doing more than 30m/min.

When you enter the lift, agree a descent plan with your lift-buddies: a safety-check at 6m - equalise and descend. Then stick to the plan.

If none of that works, try wearing a Pro-ear mask, or, in an extreme situation, it'll have to be a full face mask.

hth

tas

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the above.

I think from now on I will get out of the lift every 8 floors and wait for one minute in the lobby.  Anyone asking why will get the response "just releasing the pressure".

Should solve the problem.

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Also happens to me on trains, especially on entering tunnels, but never had any ear problems that stopped me diving though. As long as you don't have any problems equalizing then I'd just get used to having good mechano-receptors in your lugs  
Might serve you well some day

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Oct. 20 2003,23:22)]i can sense depth changes via my ears a lot better than most.
I thought it was just me - I didn't talk about it to buddies in case they thought I was weird, or worse, thought I was going to suffer some kind of eardrum trauma.

I do find that usually I have to equalise more often than my buddies - is that connected?

Andy

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

Hi
from what I gather if you are a keen diver after about 200 dives you damage the flaps (valves) on your eustacian tubes which makes you more sensitive to pressure changes EVEN ON HUMPBACK BRIDGES which means that you have to equalise.  The good side is that it makes it easier underwater to clear your ears underwater.

ta

DD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have a diver mate whom has perforated ear drums.

He does a great party trick where he can blow cigarette smoke out of both of his ears.

You should see it!! It has everyone in stitches!!

Best thing is when he dives he can get down quick because he doesn't need to equalize

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts