YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting my brother into diving. But before I go in for the long haul on persuading him I wanted to ask a few questions.

He had grommets in both ears whenever he was younger, these both fell out before secondary school thought. He is also suceptible to the odd ear infection and I was wandering if these may have any effect on him even attempting to dive, as well as long term effect of diving with these problems.

He also gets nose bleeds regularly, (at least once a month) and has had his nose frozen several times, with limited succes. Would equalizing pose any problems too his nose under any circumstances?

He also suffered from astma as a child, but has not had an attack for years, and no longer needs ventilators at all.

Sorry about the sketchy details. I'll try and get more off my brother if needed.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Get your brother to a diving doc and ask them to do a lung function test with exercise. Also, can he duck dive in a pool to 3 or 4 metres with no ear or nose issues?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He can duck dive, but im not sure how deep or if he has any problems but ill ask him that one.
used the link to have a look and see if anything needs looked at seriously and at least his nose might not have any real concerns, but I'll need to dig/dive deeper to see about his ears

Link is really useful btw.

Cheers guys

·
High BMI = designed for cold water diving
69 Posts
Several issues here
1) asthma - even though he may have grown out of it he would still be sensible in having a full resp exam with lung function tests both before and after an exercise test (it should not drop too much afterwards)
2) the grommets may have left a small hole (perforation). This may account for the ear infections he has subsequently had - but more likely just bad luck. If he has a hole then this is potentially disasterous when diving. Water getting in may cause dizziness, vomiting and then drowning. At best it may just cause a nasty infection. So he needs to have his ears looked at.
3) nose bleeds - often caused by a weakness in the blood vessels just up the nose, in which case no real problem. If caused by polyps then they may get too big and block his nasal passages so wont be able to equalise his mask. Clearly if they bleed during the dive he will have a mask full of blood - worrying but probably not serious.

So overall needs to see a doc as recommended above. Although technically any GP doc could do this and sign the PADI form, he would be better seeing a diving doc who understands these issues.

Good luck
Mark

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey Shark bait. I had a similar problem as a child with my nose, constantly pouring out blood all the ways it could. Had it frozen a couple of times (not exactly painless bloody doctors) and didn't really work for me either. Have occasional nose bleeds now and still dive no problems. Can't help on the other stuff i'm afraid (except say that dive docs would be the way to go) but i'm pretty sure there is no problem with depth and his nose.

Oh btw, on a note about the mask full of blood I read in a previous post, i've had a couple of bleeds under water in uk n if you're comfortable with the feeling of a nose bleed and with mask clearing techniques its no problem at all (or at least not for me).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts