YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

East coast charter - Rib charter from North East Norfolk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>I'm trying to guage what the response would be for a new charter boat opperating next season from the Crommer area of Norfolk.
Would you please be kind enough to give me your answers before I lash out loads of lira on a new boat.
Ta for your time Louigi.  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>You'd need some marks for decent wrecks out of there, but if you've got those, you'd probably get me on the boat a few times.

Cost is a major one too. If you set your prices right I'll be there, but I'm a poor student, so too high and I'll be in Stoney again!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>The vis is prety much the same as any where else shit day stay at home good day 7-10mtrs. round here it tends to be good from May till end of October. though you can get out till December some times, and April can be patchy. Rates around here £15 per wreck.
and there is plenty of them. Louigi  

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I'd be up for it Lou, if you'll have me.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Lou
when I was away on hols to France 2 yrs ago, the guy that ran the rhib (in France) was from Norfolk area and I asked why he didnt do it from there, his reply was that the tides and the harbours meant you had to be out all day, it wasnt possible to get back in again after dive 1. This could mean that even for a short outward bound trip you would need to be out all day. Might be worth investigating this as it could affect the business plan, he might have been talking a load of codswallop, but I thought you'd like to know his reasons for moving his operation away from that coastline. He did say though that the sea bed was generally pebbles so silt wasnt an issue and as you say there are plenty of wrecks. I would imagine planes as well.
If you find he was talking tosh, it would be good to know.

Rgds
Matt

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

The diving is cracking out there - hundreds of wrecks, hardly ever dived and more lobbies and crabs than you can shake a shi77y stick at

it has just been a case of access. Paul from Seamasters in Peterborough used to do a beach launch from Bacton but it needed to be really calm to do it. He ended up giving it up as more weekends were blown out than not. It was not a case of the sea being too rough to dive, but too rough to recover the RIB.

If you can get a reliable big RIB out of Cromer, I would be down there most weekends...

For those interested in diving in Norfolk, the following is a cut and paste job off a report I wrote for our club newsletter.

Cheers

Simon

"And Then There Were None or East of Ely" by Simon Nash
At 4.30 on Friday, my boss, asked where I was going diving at the weekend.
"About 50 miles east of K.L."
"What!!! You are going to Malaysia for the weekend?"
"Kings Lynn not Kuala Lumpur, fool." I said in my best Mr T voice.
"No, you are the fool for going diving in East Anglia" he replied.

And that sums up diving in East Anglia – not many people know that there is cracking diving, exclusively wreck diving, to be had off the Norfolk coast. One of the reasons for this is that it is very tidal and there are next to no slips or harbours around. However, this means that the wrecks are hardly dived at all.

Les and Kay had organised a trip on the charter boat Desert Moon out of Blakeney. Well, we were staying in Blakeney, getting the boat from Morston 2 miles away, but leaving some cars in Cley which was 4 miles in the other direction. Confused? So were we.

The reason for this logistical nightmare was the tides, which meant that once out of harbour the boat could not get back into harbour for another 10 hours. Did I say "harbour"; sorry that should have been a "3ft deep muddy creek where we and all our gear piled onto a 10ft flat bottomed boat with a 5hp engine to make the 15 minute journey out to where the Desert Moon was moored".

Once aboard we made our way past the tourist boats gawping at the seals on Blakeney Point and through the surf by the sand bar. Excited shouts of "whahey" as we rode the surf soon turned to a number of muted shouts of "barrff" from some of the party as we continued for a couple of hours out through the swell. It was like being in the Agatha Christie book "And Then There Were None" as one by one most of the party turned green and chundered. Nervous glances were exchanged as everyone wondered who was going to be next.

Obviously decorum (and up to now lack of financial or liquid inducements) preclude me from naming and shaming the unfortunates, but I think we were all extremely glad when we dropped the shot on the wreck of the Deodata and could get in the water. The bizarre thing was that we had gone out 23 miles from shore and it was still only 23m deep!

After the dive we headed further east to our second dive, the wreck of the Bogatyr. Finishing the dive we headed further east to Cley where we had left some of the cars. Because of the state of the tides, if we wanted to get last orders at the pub we would have to jump from the boat and swim to shore. It must have been a bizarre sight for the fishermen on the beach seeing 10 people leap from a boat (which then disappeared back out to sea), swim to shore through the surf and then kiss and hug the ground. I am sure a couple of phone calls were made to the Immigration Services! Actually, it was just that most of us were glad to be back on dry and stable land.

The next day, the demand for cooked breakfasts was down by 50 percent. Given the state of the tides which meant we would not get back to land until late, a vote determined that we would only do one dive. Our chosen wreck was a Clyde paddle steamer that had been commandeered during both world wars as a minesweeper but was unfortunate enough to be bombed by a German plane. It was quite bizarre but exciting to see the paddle wheels. Another highlight was the case full of anti aircraft shells in the middle of the wreck.

Getting off the dive boat at the end of the day was yet another jump and swim; however this time in full kit. Gordon’s request to log it as the 2nd dive of the day was dismissed on the grounds that a 15 second splash did not count as a dive. Some more shuffling with cars between villages and we were soon on our way home, tired but very happy.

So, given all the effort was it worth it? My answer is an undoubted yes. The wrecks are virtually undived so there is still a great deal to see on them and they are absolutely covered in marine life. The seabed is very very flat and the wrecks attract life like artificial reefs. I think we all lost count of the number of lobsters we saw. Added to the fact that it is not very deep, long dives can be had without venturing too much into decompression. We saw no other divers the entire weekend and you can virtually guarantee having the wrecks to yourselves. Thanks to Les and Kay for organising yet another cracking weekend away.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>thanks for all your help and comments. which have been duly noted.
And hay digger you wont be a student by then. So special rates for you X2 as yu'll probably have wasted all my taxes by then. See you all soon Lou

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Lou,

I wish you had done this a couple of years ago as we had a holiday home in Trimmingham.

I would still be up for it though.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>hey up fella,
didn`t know you were thinking of getting a boat, i`ve heard it`s excellent diving out that way, i`d definately be up for loads of that, it`s nice and local for me!!!!

rob

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hey Louigi,
Did you get anywhere with this?
I've been trying to find a way (cheap :) ) to dive this coast for a while now, a few of the guys I dive with would also be interested.
Mart

·
Registered
841 Posts
diving cromer

hello you all
there is a rib that goes out nere cromer and i have been blown out twice but it should be good diving and nice campsites so i would give it a go
have fun
adrian (addive)

·
Registered
855 Posts
addive said:
hello you all
there is a rib that goes out nere cromer and i have been blown out twice but it should be good diving and nice campsites so i would give it a go
have fun
adrian (addive)
Hi Adrian
Have you got a contact number/mail address for them please?
TIA
Mart

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
next season with luck

Hopfilly Mate we should have all the bits in place for next season, unfortunately this is one area that is seasonal. usually starts late March to mid April. Will let you know when it all comes together.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Keep us informed Lou. l could leave the 'High Dudess' with her mum and dad in 'some village that l can't remember the name of, begins with M in North Norfolk' and come out to play. :D

Just remembered it's Marham.

·
I'm quiet, shy and I blush a lot... honestly!
860 Posts
parents are in norfolk so could be nice chance to escape my 'wonderful daughterly' visits :) keep us informed :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts