YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Well, on Scubababe's advice I'll fill this bit in anyway!! Living so close to the coast is an advantage, so if anyone's short of a buddy for a weekend, or wants to hook up, let me know. I'm a PADI DM and BSAC Dive Leader (although I haven't paid my BSAC subs for about 3 years) although I am fully paid up with PADI and therefore insured!!
BTW - Where's the nearest place to Malton / Scarborough to get a fill these days?

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

I'll be up for a day away once the winds die down a little. No idea about fills near Scarborough but I know a man who does - (quick telephone call later) - Bugger, he's not there at the moment. There is a BSAC in Scarborough so I'll try and see where they get a fill. Other than that, the nearest I know of is in Appleton Roebuck!!

Regards

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Yeaaah. That's also where I was thinking, although every time I've been to Appleton Roebuck it's been bloody deserted! :snorkel:
Maybe it's time I invested in putting a compressor in my garage and letting people get fills here...?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

O.K. You native yorkshiremen, whats the diving like around Flamborough and Scarborough?
Dived Scarborough only the once a wreck "i think it was" as it was like diving in a coal bunker at 30m,remember my torch made little impact I nearly needed a clean change of underwear, must have hit it on a bad day.
Sounds interesting

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

I know people bemoan the 'conditions' around the Yorkshire North Sea Coast, but surely there must be some sites where where we can get either a decent shore dive, wreck dive (other than Farnes Islands), boat/RIB-put-in?

Can't anyone suggest a site for a Troop Gig? I'm aware that the viz can often be, ahem, 'variable', but there has to be one or two sites that present themselves? We can't dismiss a whole section of the UK coast line - surely to goodness?

Come on you Lincs/East Yorks wallahs!! Let's have some suggestions.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I dived off filey brig a couple of summers ago.  The sea was like a pond and the viz would have been around 10m (ish).  jolly pleasant dive, although it was a solo and would have been nice to have had company.  Bantam, I am up for the East coast anytime you think conditions are doable.  Call me.  07779 834829

(Edited by andy2tanx at 8:12 am on Jan. 10, 2003)

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

If you don't mind the trek down the cliff face (1/4 mile jaunt), and if it hasn't been raining recently, the lighthouse at Flamborough is usually fantastic-ish viz (5m-10m), about 10m depth and usually some seals if you're lucky.
Andy2tanx and timing - definitely something we need to organise for the springtime (as currently it's pants 90% of the time...)

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Absolutely Matey.

Seems odd doesn't it, Yorkshire seems to have a real dearth of suitable dive sites yet whilst this part of the coast really isn't far away, we rarely hear about it.  Either there are some very well kept secrets out there or its generally sh1te.  I prefer to believe the former - until I experience it anyway.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

I think the problem is;
1: Generally the walks are too bloody far down cliff faces with large amounts of kit
2: The local harbourmasters are too interested in those fast-catamaran pleasure cruisers which cause untold damage to the harbour walls to let you launch.
3: The decent depths and wrecks are *miles* (20-30ish) offshore, so you need a decent rib.
4: The viz can be good but more generally is sh*te.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

Ive spent quite a lot of time in Staithes - north of Whitby,Ive tried Flamborough a couple of times and usually the viz is good with lots of life.I did a night dive there a few years back which was really good for a 8-10m max dive
You can also get a decent shore dive at Redcar along the scars - its only approx 5-8 m but viz can be really good and again lots of life with the occasional seal apparently

1 - 11 of 11 Posts