YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all these reports of shocking viz further west, does anyone have any reports on Eastbourne viz? We are due to go out to dive the Oceana and Braunton this Sunday for a shakedown dive.

And IIRC some YDers are planning on diving in Eastbourne on Saturday - I'd be most grateful if you could let us know what the score is with the viz on your dive.

Cheers, Ant

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Dave off 125 said he'd been getting 3-6m in the area of the Caleb Sprague. Am diving it Saturday (if the wind stays down!) so will have a better idea then.

dan

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Dave off 125 said he'd been getting 3-6m in the area of the Caleb Sprague. Am diving it Saturday (if the wind stays down!) so will have a better idea then.

dan
ha ha ha, well Dave and Sylv like a good giggle! I dived Eastbourne on Sunday, the weather was fantastic, and a flat calm sea. The vis was something else:

1st wreck was the Braunton, it was pea soup all the way down, but we had about 3 metres absolute max vis at best....(and thats probably generous)

2nd wreck was the Oceana. Lots of dark brown patches in the sea, and had about 1-2 metres vis most of the time. We found that if you dropped into the lee of both wrecks, there was a clear area. Most of the others gave up after 20-30 mins, but me and a mate got an hour or so on each wreck....

Found a porthole on the Oceana, sent it up on a lifting bag, and it came crashing down as the bag had split, so had to leave it there. . . .

I got lost in the Caleb a few years ago in bad vis so be careful. There are also a few bones in the wreck as well.......

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Found a porthole on the Oceana, sent it up on a lifting bag, and it came crashing down as the bag had split, so had to leave it there. . . .
we might be there this weekend - can you tell us where on the wreck the porthole is? strictly so we can retrieve it for you of course ;)

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
we might be there this weekend - can you tell us where on the wreck the porthole is? strictly so we can retrieve it for you of course ;)
Well, there are a few of them still intact on the wreck, but well concreted in. this one was about 2ft diameter, but no glass in it. it was literally just lying there.. I had a massive grin on my face as it went up, and then i had a right old paddy as it came down with a bang behind me.....Thats when i noticed the split, and i'd left my spare bag on the boat.

The vis was so bad, i could'nt see where i was on the wreck. There was nothing obvious, but i believe we were on the port side going to the bow... I doubt very much i'd be able to find it again, unless i was very lucky....but thats the way it goes sometimes.......If you send it up, i'll ask Sylv to hide it on the boat for me!!

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
If you send it up, i'll ask Sylv to hide it on the boat for me!!
That's you thwarted Tom... but Ant and I are diving it from a different boat, with no Sylv on deck... ;) :D

Dave.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
That's you thwarted Tom... but Ant and I are diving it from a different boat, with no Sylv on deck... ;) :D

Dave.
I'm warning you all...that porthole has my name on it :) I'll hunt you down like dogs if you find it. Apparently all the other boats are broken so it's only Dive125 that can get there :D

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
I'm sure a bit of brick acid will clean that off nicely though :D
I've hidden it ! :D

Well not really, i left it where i found it. I suspect a few people have seen it in the past, but it is VERY heavy, and probably why it's still there. Most techie divers don't bother with the Oceana and go to the deeper wrecks and most sporty divers don't carry lift bags, or certainly don't carry bags with enough lift in them. I had a 35 kg bag, which really struggled to get going, so i'd recommend you take down something bigger to lift the portholes. They are all bigguns on the Oceana. Good luck...

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Worry not, my flat has enough junk in it already, so I won't be lifting it even if I do come across it Steve :)

Same does not apply if I ever find a bell though! :D

Dave

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Worry not, my flat has enough junk in it already, so I won't be lifting it even if I do come across it Steve :)

Same does not apply if I ever find a bell though! :D

Dave
well, thats the thing....What to do with it afterwards. My missus said she was glad the bag split, as she didn't want 'any of that old tat' in the garden or in the house!

I think i'm going to trade her in for a quieter model. The older she gets, the more she starts to rattle....or is it prattle :)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Your bloody navigation gets worse by the day, he drops a porthole on the Oceana, we're diving the Alaunia and you reckon we're going to find it for him, strewth!!!!

Matt

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Your bloody navigation gets worse by the day, he drops a porthole on the Oceana, we're diving the Alaunia and you reckon we're going to find it for him, strewth!!!!

Matt
ha ha ha, so i take it, no-one follows Tom when he's diving.....:)

My navigation at the weekend consisted of going along the wreck a few metres, then looking up. if i could see light green/sunlight, then i wasn't inside the wreck!

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
ha ha ha, so i take it, no-one follows Tom when he's diving.....:)
Actually they do, scarily enough. Someone has to lead Binnie around the wreck and stop him vanishing off across the seabed after all!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Actually they do, scarily enough. Someone has to lead Binnie around the wreck and stop him vanishing off across the seabed after all!
What he actually means is, every now and again he turns round and forces me/us to follow him, rather than we scarper off for a few minutes and lose him so we can carry on a nice solo dive without worrying how much gas he's using :)

Matt

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
we can carry on a nice solo dive
if this is how much sense he makes on the surface, can you imagine how bad it is when he's narked... :eek:

PS almost typed 'when he's naked' there - that's something I never, ever want to imagine... :eek: :eek:

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
two dives

two dives, Matt, two dives... that means Alaunia + one other...
So two opportunities to lose each other and become navigationally challenged...... :)
I only have one lift bag with me ooops I meant dsmb and its the orangey one having destroyed a reel off dover.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts