YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Does anyone fancy diving in Eastbourne on March 21st weekend?

Mum's going to love this. She organises a weekend away for dad's birthday and I go off diving. Well, it's by the sea...

PM/e-mail if you like.

Digs.

The teamsheet so far:
So, my list right now will be:

Saturday Morning: Argonaut (32m):
10:45 DEPARTURE

Digger,
Diving Dude (Howard),
Angus
Sharon
Getafix,
Rob,
Kev W
Bob A
Jeremy
Tony (Col Maniac)
KimH

Total 11

Saturday Afternoon
Shallow drift fish-prodding:
DIVING ON THE WAY BACK FROM THE ARGONAUT. PLEASE HAVE ENOUGH GAS/ANOTHER TANK SORTED. PM ME IF YOU NEED ANOTHER.

Digger,
Howard,
Angus
Sharon
Getafix,
Rob,
Kev W
Bob A
Jeremy
Tony (Col Maniac)
KimH

Total 11

Crack o'sparrows dive
DEPARTS 04:45 AM.
Digger
Kev W
Bob A
Angus
Tony
Andyp
Mark Chase

Sunday morning: The Duchess (22m):
DEPARTS 11:45

Angus
Tony (Col Maniac)
Tom
Kev W
Bob A
jez
DanE + 1
Aclivity
Dan (+1?)

Total 10 (possibly 11)(2 spaces here)

Sunday afternoon: Andy's choice (shallowish)
YOU'LL ALL STILL BE AROUND FROM THE FIRST DIVE, DEPARTURE TIME TBA
Tom
Angus
jez
Kev W
Bob A
DanE + 1
Aclivity
Tony (Col Maniac)

Total 9 (3 spaces here)

Hope this helps everyone, please let me know as soon as if I've got you down for dives you're not doing, and the same if you're not on for dives you should be.

Andy, this is the list as far as I know.

I'm going to stick it on the planned trips with a date, so we can fill up Sunday. It'll just be a link to this thread.

Digs.

***EDIT - It's important to me guys that you all understand you're responsible for your own dive, you're responsible for your own equipment, and just cause I've started this thread, it does not make me responsible for how you choose to dive, or your dive plan. You will dive at your own risk, either within agency guidelines or at your peril. In the event of non-payment or any sort of problem, I will be chasing you up as I'm sure will Andy.
I'd also expect everyone to be qualified to do the dives they've signed up for. AOW or Sports or equivalent for morning dives, and OW or Club/Ocean for afternoon basically. Thanks.***

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Digger.

Sussexshipwrecks

This boat operates out of Eastbourne but his dive list starts in April, he might be prepared to go out earlier if we get a small group together.

Taurus, before Andy bought it used to operate out of Eastbourne.

Alternatively if we get a minimun of four divers we could use  Nauticat out of Brighton which is about 30 mins away from Eastbourne

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I've been wracking me brains trying to think of someone who goes out of Eastbourne - there is a BSAC club that's got a RIB, alternatively an SAA club I'm involved with has a RIB -trouble is they have 'GPS problems' that mean they never hit the wreck and finish up diving the Sovereign lighthouse time & again.  To be perfectly honest, you're better off going out of Brighton if at all possible - only half an hour down the road and loads of charter boats.
Steve at Channel Diving is a great bloke  and if you mention my or Howard's (Diving Dude) names he'll be sure to chuck you off the boat.

Cheers
Rob

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>If your stuck for a boat, i suppose coz ya YD members i could take a bimble down there with the boat to take you out,,, But don't forget , that I PERSONALLY have never dived or operated out of there before.

What i do have NOW, i a super bit of NAV kit on laptop, I do have some on the mark numbers from Steve, but not got around to putting them into the laptop yet.

Offer is there is you want , lads.

Andy ,

This is one of 2 weekend s that i'm available for charter in March, get quite busy after that

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I might be up for coming along, depending on what you end up doing (i.e. shallow girly stuff and I'd probably be up for it, big-boys-deep-n-dark then probably not).

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

That sounds like a plan Andy!  It'd be worth having another chat with Steve cos he'll know all the ins & outs of operating from Eastbourne.  
Shandy gig here we come

PS Plenty of shallow stuff out of Eastbourne Tom, no worries there.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Just spoken to Steve (Nauticat) he's available on the 21st.
He pointed out that this is Mothering Sunday, so thats me stuffed, however he's available for Saturday 20th, which would be ok for me.

We would need a minimum of four for the boat to go out.

So Diggs when are you coming down, would sauturday be OK?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

I didn't realise that you were a mother Howard.  
Although some things do add up now!

Count me in whatevers going on.

·
Cut the crap and go diving!
414 Posts
Imported post

I think i can be available on one (or both) of these days (20th-21st Mar) as long as i'm not on holiday ( a few Red Sea plans floating about for then). I may be able to get my buddy to come along as well.

Alan    

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I'll check. I think Saturday would be easier, as we're going down for mothering sunday and dad's birthday. If we're doign a 2 dive day, what time are we looking at Sat'dy morning? I'm just thinking about one hell of a drive, but I suppose it's probably worth it.

As for the sotr of diving, I'm up for whatever, but I'd much rather be on a wreck, and even better a wreck that's fairly intact. Looking at that website howard, there seems to be several that are over 5 or 6m proud, so there must be something worth doing.

What sort of qualification level are we lookingat for the group? AOW/Sports? If we can do a wreck at 25/30 great, if everyone wants to stay shallow I'm easy with that too. But bear in mind if we're shallow, I'm staying down up to an hour and a half. I want to see everything!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Eastbourne??  What on earth is a nice guy like you doing in a wild and reckless place like Eastbourne.

Or have I got that the wrong way around?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Quals-wise there's something for everybody. Out of Eastbourne you can do anything from 25-70m. The 25m stuff does however tend to be lots of smashed-up steel on the seabed though. Go to 30-40 and you've got a lot more scope. The Alaunia's a fascinating wreck, the Branksome Chine (AKA pottery wreck) is good, the Caleb Sprague is an all time favourite but starting to get a bit deep at 45 (35 to the deck)  but if Andy's got the numbers for the Argonaut off Rye then you can't possibly go wrong. Beautiful beautiful wreck sat in about 35m, one of my favourites ever.
Whatever's on, be it Brighton on Nauticat or Eastbourne on Taurus (cos I have to meet Andy one of these days) count me in.

PS Digs - not really sure about the 2-dive day thing.  2nd dive tends to be the Sovereign shoals or lighthouse and at this time of year they're a bit shit what with the vis & all.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Just thought I'd mention - if you fancy a deeper wreck (which I suspect most of you probably do, looking at the people who're popping up) then go for it, as Rob implies you'll probably get a better dive that way. I'm the odd-one-out experience-wise from the gang so far, so I don't mind sitting it out at all, plenty of other chances in future.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Rob, the deeper wrecks sound like fun, if you've dived them and you like them we'll take it as worth doing.

I don't really want to leave anyone out, though, what sort of depth would be sensible for you Tom? If you are ok with 25m I'm sure we can find something there, or possibly a little bit deeper? You seemed fine at Stoney in 24, but I don't want to push you if you don't want to do it. You know the score. PM if you'd rather.

Is it really not worth bimbling in the afternoon? I suppose I really should be spending some time with the family, what with it being a family do! If there's a sensible site, and it's not going to cost much, I'm up for it. March 21st is a couple of months away, so the weather and viz might be a fair bit better? Maybe?

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

What I'm comfortable with is a 25m no-deco dive (currently on air but maybe nitrox by then).

Deeper than that doesn't make sense just now due mainly to my breathing rate (SAC has gone up to 30ish since I switched to drysuit - expect it will come down once I'm more comfortable with the thing, but it's saying to me 'stay shallow' right now). It also puts limits on my buddy's bottom time, unless they continue solo while I go back up the shot.

What I'm saying is that if I'm the only person who's depth limited, don't plan the dive round me - decide what the majority want to do, and if it also works for me then that's great but if not it's not a big deal. Besides, the wife might not even let me out to play

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Imported post

Could be interested if its a two day thing (long drive for only one day).probably drag a buddy along with me.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I won't be able to so both days I don't think, it's mothers day on the sunday, and I've got a lunch I have to go to. It's also my dad's 60th, and I can't really get out of that one.

If yuo guys want to do 2 days then by all means, but I won't be there.

·
Cut the crap and go diving!
414 Posts
Imported post

Its looking more like the 20th so far. My tide tables suggest a leave from Brighton of 9.00am,and we would be on the higher tide slack (sorry Tom,a few more meters on the depth). It's also a spring.........if you want to stay on the wreck for 1.5hrs Digger i hope you've got strong finger nails  
. I'm not sure of a leave time from Eastbourne,however i expect it's similar,but remember we have that funny little lock to negotiate so it could be earlier.

Wrecks wise for Tom:

Oceana from Eastbourne, 28-29m max in the scour by the bow,but if you stay on top you can average more like 24-25 easy.......i like the Oceana (some may disagree) she's broken midships,but the bows are quite impressive (i like big bows).
If not i'm easy on Alaunia/Argonaut 36/38m

Pentrych from Brighton 24-25m max,Ok but not that interesting,a bit broken.
City of Brisbane 28m max but average 24-25m,can be a bit silty and has a lot of monofilament.
After that it's that old favourite City of Waterford 36m or TR Thompson 34m.

I'm happy just getting wet early in the season so no preference. Digger the 2nd dive is always a drift either Sovereign shoals as Rob said or the Brighton ledges and you're out for about 5-6 hrs ish total,vis is variable early in the season,especially close in.

Alan  

1 - 20 of 146 Posts