YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· old time
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>OK , been thinking alll weekend about how i can get in the glossy mags free of charge , BUT doing some good as well.

So, here goes .

IN aid of DDRC, this time ....

I hard boil 251 eggs ,,,,, 250 will have numbers on them and ONE will be painted GOLD ( Hammerite ), and scattered around a local shallow bay to us.

MISSION

You go in with a full cylinder and search for as many eggs as you can putting them in ya goodie bag. leaving the bottom with 20 bar left.

Once back on the boat, you add all the numbers up on the eggs to give you a high total.

The winner is the one with the highest total, getting ( I'm sure i can sponge something out of a dive company ) a super prize.

BUT at the end of the day , it's fun and money raised helps people like us at Plymouth DDRC.

I'll keep all in touch

Andy

· Banned
1,804 Posts
Imported post

Andy,
      I tried to set one of these up last year and ran across one "slight" problem. I hard boiled a couple and sent Budgy in to test them in the water. The bloody things float!!!
 I was, if you're interested, going to do it like this;
The eggs are all painted different colours with various points attributed to each of them-Out of 250 eggs say-
150-Blue-1 point each
75-Red-2 points each
15-Green-5 points each
10-Silver-10 points each
5-Gold-20 points each.

You get the drift!
I'm led to believe that normal food dye will dye the shells if you boil them in the coloured water, so it's easy to do "mass colourings". The silver and gold ones just drop into a tin of non-lead based paint. It's worth doing 1/2 dozen a couple of weeks beforehand and leaving them in the water somewhere easy to retrieve to see exactly what effect the salt water has on them though. The eggs bouancy problem was something I never really got round to figuring out. I had thought of dropping the top 1/4 inch into PVA glue then sticking that into lead shot and leaving to dry. The other problem I could see happening was if the wee air bubble inside compresses it might crack the things.

Peter

· A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,284 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Dec. 23 2003,12:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Dec. 23 2003,12:27)]for those muppets amongst us when is easter?
Easter is the Sunday after the first full moon following the Spring equinox  

HTH

Adrian

PS Easter Sunday 2004 is 11 April.
Yeah its an old pagen thing but the Christians nicked it  

· A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,284 Posts
Imported post

Drill a hole in the eggs top and bottom using a high speed small drill bit to let the air out and they should sink OK

If not then use golf balls I have loads of old crap ones

ATB

Mark Chase

Obviously I am up for it I am already planing to get Pete to blow his 300bar 12 to 350 for me. Am I allowed 02 for deco
Not that I am competative or out

· Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,921 Posts
Imported post

Me too, I will definatly come out (or rather in) to play. Golf balls work, eggs don't, plus you don't have to boil 250 golf balls. Please bear in mind, I am the bloke who worked out how to make a scone complete with cream and jam sink and stay in one piece.

Andrew

· Banned
1,804 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Dec. 23 2003,14:46)]Drill a hole in the eggs top and bottom using a high speed small drill bit to let the air out and they should sink OK
Ahh, see, What worried me about that is it lets the scent of the eggs out into the water. You'll attract all sorts of creatures from miles around who will then eat all your eggs. So the idea isn't as foolproof as you'ld think!

Peter

· Jonah
7,287 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Dec. 23 2003,14:55)]You'll attract all sorts of creatures from miles around who will then eat all your eggs.
mmm.... eggs....

Actually, could be an interesting twist - release a dozen hungry congers at the same time as the divers go in, and it becomes a race to reach the eggs!

Sounds like fun anyway, I'd probably be up for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.