YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Just to get the thread started, Henson here, skipped this afternoons dive - packed all his kit, was in henson land, left it on the boat, got his clinders from nigels van and drove off.

Didnt think about the kit bag till i was at junction 8 of the M20!

Mad phone call to nigel (bad move) - wound me up (barsteward) saying that the bag was on the pontoon. I called dover marina office and a very very nice lady (a person i owe a beer or 5 to) went to have a look for my bag and of course - its not there (its still on the boat and i aint twigged yet!)

Photo message arrives after much panic and on my works phone i cant view these, so i call capt'n deco and rest my fears as the rest of my kit is on the boat *phewwww*

I will write a full trip report tomorrow evening, but for the moment im preparing for my interview tomorrow.

All i can say is thanks Dave and crew for some cracking wrecks, thanks to Juz and B for organising the trip and i can definitly say that there was smiles all round all weekend :D

Even some conversations about diggeroos, a bent vyper, some port holes, a bloody big lobster (yumyum) and a half/sort of policeman :D

Keith

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:d

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Coz, Henson must have forgot that I was on watch..... he must have lost the PM sent to him that I had a box of stuff for him ( AGA & spares , pipes and stuff ) ...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Dover shandy Saturday 07/04/2007 Just 2 dives for me

UNITY
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co.; 1902; Murdoch & Murray; 1,091 tons; 246-8x36-3x13-5; 302 n.h.p.; 12 knots; triple-expansion engines.

The steamship Unity was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine three miles W.S.W. of the Varne Light vessel on May 2nd, 1918. Twelve men were killed, the captain was among the survivors.

1st dive ss unity of dungeness. I have dived this last year it looks very very very diffrent with 15 meters of viz.

2 old lines coming off from near the bottom off shot line in around 1meter of viz. I reeled of the shot to sea bed to get away from others and murk around the shot. Got to seabed 40meters the viz improved to about 1-2 meters. I swims on and sees scallops yum get my goody bag out puts the scallops back on see bed and viz is totally gone i leave food and (because im not captain deco ) i'm off back to the shot with too much slack slack line then my line gets snagged as i get near the shot my line is caught so i cut the line. I got the clip back when ship anchor came back aboard. I loved the dive i guess i am easyly pleased

Dive two UB 109 i think
Brilliant a sub i thought, but what about the viz. Plenty of flashing lights like a disco at bottom of shot . The viz was better but i keep going to the anchor and missed the wreck and the little tie off line thingy sombody put on the wreck. turns round sees the wreck thought how on earth did i miss that. I swims around the sub going not too far away from with what i am comfotable with. I thought oh 42meter deeper than my first dive but i am diving on air. On the bottom there was lot's of brass around the seabed what looked like old tat to me so i left it (jay would off filled his boot's ). 2-3 m viz plenty fish guess there would be in the sea really enjoyed that one alot better nice to get back in the sea again

Thanks to juz. blain for putting gig together really nice to meet you for first time great bunch of peoples expect i'll see you all again. The neptunes wheelhouse was turned into tuk shop i was not complaining.
Thanks for all your advice and making me feel welcome and no clique

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Thanks

Well a pleasant day out on the boat with a dive thrown in. Borrowed twinset, first sea dive of the year, buddy cancelling at the last minute, 40m dive on 30% nitrox, well what else could go wrong then..........
Dropping down the line into real zero viz, head and shoulder butting wreck, lots of lines, definite feeling of being hemmed in, no sign of Blan, and mighty high gas consumption. Not my best dive ever but at least I found Blan after ascending a couple of metres.
I have some drysuit photos that I will attemp to load up later;)
Thanks for making the arrangements, and the choccie.

Keith
We all had a good rummage in the kit bag, it was all rubbish kit so we left it there ;)

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
5-8m viz, sunshine, champagne, strawberries & chocolate.... Must be Dover Easter 2007

Many thanks to everyone who made this such a wonderful gig!
Dave Batchelor skipper of Neptune & viz seeker extraordinaire, Brian & Al crew (with Gerry an able substitute on Sunday morning)

The weekend team sheet:
The Dude
Gary WWD
Illy (& Avril for the bed & barbeque)
Padowan aka Simon (great to see you after so long, hope the sniffles get better soon!)
Coliniky
Nigel puryevor of superb diving products
Andy P
Mark Chase
Howard Payne (pleasure to meet you Sir!)
Nevil (our sacrificial diver, you can come again & again! Welcome to YD and you are most welcome on any & all Kinky Divers trips!)
Paul Oliver
Alan Getafix
Dr Chris
Svenja
Ben Fatlaz
Cap’n Deco Jay
Keith Henson
Addive
Roy Plumber
[email protected]
Gary & Cat (brave souls diving semi-dry!)
& of course Juz & I

The sun was shining as we set off from home on Friday morning; as we came over the hill into Dover the sea stretched out still, shiny & sparkling in the glorious sunshine! This was shaping up to be a pretty special 4 days.
Almost everyone was there, Juz almost crashed when we saw Andy P already there, (he had spent the night at Mark’s) over an hour before ropes off!
It was great to meet up with both new & familiar faces; Gary WWD & Illy brought more chocolate (Cadbury & Mars) than I have seen outside the sweetie aisle in a supermarket, I brought hot cross buns (it was Good Friday) and crisps to sate the Dude’s desire for savoury, and of course there were the usual cheese & onion pasties from Neptune.

Our first dive of the weekend was to the Seine (Champagne) Wreck French cargo ship The Seine was en route for England when she sank after allegedly hitting a Russian freighter and succumbing to stormy seas on July 16, 1955. Nigel was off down the shot in a flash searching for treasure, Brian & Dave brought up the rear guard & came out with a bag bulging with ½ bottles of champagne! Mark & Andy P emerged with a goody bag bulging with scallops, and everyone else came back excited but spidgeless!
photo kindly supplied by Brian (501 Diver)

Viz was 3m+ quite bright, but still needed a torch, 10˚
Brian gave me a wonderful DVD of the information on the ‘finding’ and recovery dive and when I can work out how to post videos I’ll set up a link!

The plankton bloom has started already with lots of particles flying past on our stops, here’s hoping that it all clears up by Le Dude plongee trip in May! A small tipple of champagne from a glass off the wreck, some strawberries and a splash of OJ, how very civilised! Howard Jr managed to snaffle a bottle to wet his DO’s new baby’s head!

We spent our surface interval over at the Flagship Pub on Snarsgate Street, which has not long been taken over by Dave, olives, crusty bread & balsamic vinegar & olive oil as we waited for our food, yum yum! They start serving breakfast at 7am weekdays & 6am on the weekend, definitely a good place to spend a SI!

Our afternoon dive we headed out to the Varne Wreck or Plate Wreck which is next to the North Varne Lightship, and far enough out to get some viz whilst being well protected as the shipping avoids both the Varne Bank and the Lightship marking it. This is an Unidentified Wreck in 35m which was a wooden ship with a General Cargo including lots of crockery, glass, cement and muskets have also come up from this site. The ship has disintegrated and we are just left with a pile of spidge full of lobsters on the seabed. The centre of the wreck appears to have a large cargo of Cement Bags, whilst one end has the bulk of the crockery; there are lots of plain white bowls and plates around.

Viz dropped off to a dark 1m, 9˚, but felt much colder! The spidgers where in full flight; slit was everywhere & Juz called my line laying (lack of)skills ‘[email protected]’ :embarassed: so we called it. (I have to agree on the line laying!)

Friday night Gary, The Dude, Juz & I ate at the Light of India, we were ready to eat the table legs by the time we were fed! Juz & I headed off to Illy & Av’s, The Dude & Gary headed for the B&B, were I think an early night was had!

Saturday dawned just as sunny, the sea remained calm and it was great to meet up with wave 2 of the weekend! It was a tad cooler this morning, and 2 more new faces to welcome on board. Our morning dive was on the Unity SS 1091ton, armed steamer, triple expansion engines,
sunk 2nd May 1918 torpedoed by UB-57, 12 died.

Viz was a dark 1-2m, 10˚ again and my wreck identifying skills are quite pants, especially as the wreck is very broken up! I followed The Dude, thanking my lucky stars for his fluorescent pink line! Alan brought up a broken plate with the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co crest on it

but there was not much else, quite a despondent group went back in to shore, some of us lunched at the Flagship again, whilst everyone else headed off to Chris at Shorncliffe for fills for the afternoon dive.

Our afternoon dive was on the UC-64 (an excellent report by Paul as usual!) I buddied Howie again on this dive, he is much better at lying line than I! :girlhug:

It was bright with a good 5+m of viz, but I then got the heebie-jeebies (even with helium in the mix) and called it! Even so it was my longest dive of the weekend at 50 mins. Lots of happy, smiley faces when we emerged, Cap’n Deco lived up to his name, and took the ribbing very well (all weekend in fact)

Only 7 of us made it to the New Moonflower restaurant for dinner at 9pm! It was late, we were all pretty pooped, but Dr Chris & Svenja, Ben (Fatlaz), Gary, John Perrin Kent Tooling Diving Products, Juz & I all tried to eat our body weight in Chinese food!

Sunday, dawned bright and sunny in Folkestone but as we came over the hill into Dover a bank of fog sat over the hills blocking any chance of seeing the sea! Not good I thought; a quick chat with Dave and he decided to steam west, west, west to see if the viz was any better. We told Dave that safety was paramount and that he was the boss, so we dropped down on an un-named Armed Trawler with a good 8m of viz, well depending on who you followed! :rolleyes: As Juz & I got to the bottom of the shot there was a big plaice which Juz caught & put in the goody bag for my lunch later. I wouldn’t let him kill it so had a few ‘Oh my God what’s toughing my legs?’ :eek: on the deco stops!
Alan produced the priest & dispatched the fish once on board, Keith gave a very quick 30 second demo on how to gut a fish & the gulls were happy! Ben caught a massive lobbie, (male apparently) and 2 big crabs and donated them to Keith’s fridge. Team Henson (didn’t he invent the Muppets? ;)) lay on the roof sunbathing on the way back to shore for the SI.
Viz 6-8m and bright, 10˚

Gary, Juz, Illy & I all headed up to Illy & Avril’s for a lunchtime barbie! The plaice was cooked & consumed and Juz was most proud of his ‘hunter/gatherer’ status!

Back for the afternoon dive where we were joined by 2 hardy souls Gary & Cat in semi-dry suits! As their fills were a tad ‘hot’ we headed back out to the Varne Wreck for the spidgers to ‘fill their boots’ I felt queasy so bailed on Juz, stayed on board to make hot drinks and make sure that Gary & Cat got changed into warm clothes when they got out! I soon forgot that I felt ill when everyone started arriving back, but you will need to find out from the rest what it was like!

Monday morning was a 5.30am meet and the Cuvier for the early birds! The Steamship Cuvier built in 1883, displacing 2,299 Tons and measuring 100m long by 12m beam sank after a collision with the SS Douvre of Norway on the 9th March 1900 with the loss of 26 lives. This large, 12m proud and intact wreck sits in 43m of water with the decks at 32m and the holds down to 35m, she had accommodation for 80 First Class Passengers.
Nigel, Illy, Nevil, Jay (Cap’n Deco), Ben (Fatlaz) & Keith Henson were the only ones who made the early start, Someone else will need to tell you about that one! Team Henson then bullied Nigel into driving home & filling cylinders for the afternoon dive!

Our final dive of the week was planned for the Mandovi but as the water was murky sludge we headed over to the Unity again. I buddied [email protected] and dropped into clear water, I could see a good 4m+ down the line, until the lights went out at 30m.
Once we reached the bottom it was a different story, the first few pairs in had stirred up the viz quite badly :frown: I knew that away from the shot would be much better. Ian lined off, & I rose up out of the scour to follow him promptly loosing the line, I saw a nice yellow fluorescent Kent Tooling line, but decided that I should wait for Ian by the strobe that was on the shot.
In the murk I couldn’t even see his torch. Juz came back to the shot & I indicated that I had lost Ian, he gave me the up signal & at that Ian appeared out of the gloom!
An uneventful deco on the line, but it was running quite hard when we were hanging there, by the time my deep VR£ stops were clear I had no deco, so just waited until Ian was happy to go and up we went. The reel that he had to leave behind came up with the shot, but I think a new birthday present may be on the cards!

Luckily the DCS mountain (i.e. the steps) were now almost flat, and unloading was a piece of cake! Daddy Dude we have your conger prodder. A swift drink in the Flagship and then the long journey home to strip the unit & empty the car.

Many thanks to everyone who turned up, joined in, jumped in, came back, took the p, took it on the chin, lost equipment and even a sense of humour! The weekend would not have been as marvellous without you lot!
Brian will no doubt be along to post the team pics for Friday and Saturday. (that is a hint by the way!)
there were a number of quite excellent quotes, that I will let the others reveal :teeth:

Mark Chase said:
When do we sign up for next year?
I have told Dave that we will gauge interest for next year, and let him know in a short while, Juz will remind me no doubt soon!

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have told Dave that we will gauge interest for next year, and let him know in a short while, Juz will remind me no doubt soon!
count me in - this time i shall ship the missus off to north wales with the dog and stay in dover. thanks for another excellent weekend, bring on next year - preferably with some more "human" tide times :teeth:

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Wellllllll I was only on the Friday coz its easter and i have kids, but it was still great fun.

Andyp decided to bed down at my place the night before so we were both in plenty of time for the gig. At a mear 80mph its the slowest Andyp has ever driven the last 30miles to a dive in his life ever AND the earliest he has ever been :D

The look of shock at the sight of Andyp pulling into the car park with a whole hour before departure time was quite a sight ill tell you :D

On the boat and were told viz will be poo and were doing the champaign wreck. My heart sank as i wanted it to be a great dive for Andyp to get him back into this diving lark. Ho hum we will just have to make the best of it.

Once over the wreck I look at the available viz and my heart sinks even further. We jump in and hit the bottom and I cant see a damed thing. I tie in the reel and I am thinking of binning the dive but i decide instead to try away from the shot. 5m away and viz is up to a massive 1.5m and all i can see is silt and gravel. I am also very pleased to see that Andyps buddy glue is working well despite the long lay off.

I am deciding whether or not to risk sticking my arm in the silt for a bottle of champaign when I see a puff of silt from a large scallop. Fan bloody tastic thinks I. and we are off. Soon scallops a plenty are gracing the bottom of my goody bag. Even Andyp who is the worst catcher of food on the plaint (He struggles ordering a big mac without it escaping) managed to bag loads. Viz was fine in front of us but pretty crap behind and the bag was soon so full we were being highly selective as to which scallop took out fancy.

In the end the bag was so heavy i couldn't move it and we called it a day. I connected the lift bag and sent it up and we headed for home. I thought Andrew would be totally pissed off at spending an entire dive scalloping but he had had a fantastic time as well.

Dave had grabbed half a dozen bottles of champaign so i nicked one to add to the feast. The haul of scallops was epic and i couldn't wait to see Lings face when i got them home.

Dive Two:

A fantastic lunch in the local pub was followed by a quick jaunt out to the Varne wreck. Andyp had had to go home so i was doing the second dive with Colinicky. Waiting over the wreck for slack the viz again looked pretty depressing .

Down the shot we go, and it is indeed pretty grim. The Varn is a flat wooden wreck with many tones of china on board. It was well worth a rummage despite the crap viz. Sadly i made a hash of tieing in the guide reel. I didn't have the line going through the line guide so it kept spooling off the side of the reel.

We found some china bowls which i decided to bag up. Colin didn't know my rule that if your reeling then the other diver holds the goody bag so I was now faced with laying line with a somewhat impaired reel and carrying a goody bag. I soldered on for a while and then thought sod this as more line spooled off the side of the reel, and I insisted Colin took the bag. After some initial confusion he got the message and I decided to reel back to the tie in and sort it out before continuing on.

As it was we got back to the shot and the tie in and I was thinking it was all a bit to crappy to spend more time on. Colin agreed and we binned the dive there and then and went home with a total of no deco. :D

We were first in except for crew so I was surprised to see we were second to last back?? every one else obviously had the same idea. I was surprised as had it not been for the reel problem id have staid for another 20mins or so no problem.

So not the best of dives but I did get 6 rice bowls to go with the scallops and champaign. All i needed was a wreck with knives and forks on and we would have been totally sorted :D

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Thanks to Juz and Blanaid for organising :)
My leaky suit didn't even make it through the first dive - but it was a very pleasant few hours on a nice boat in lovely weather with great company - so not entirely wasted - see you all soon :)

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
My leaky suit didn't even make it through the first dive - but it was a very pleasant few hours on a nice boat in lovely weather with great company - so not entirely wasted - see you all soon :)

Howard, you are welcome on any Kinky Divers gig! You are quite clearly the acceptable face of DIR :).

Juz

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Anytime Howard!

So sorry you did not make it down with your suit, the scallops were better than the champagne is my guess!
Juz said:
Howard, you are welcome on any Kinky Divers gig! You are quite clearly the acceptable face of DIR .
As Juz said, it was very good to meet up with you; I hope to meet up with you again on a boat soon!

Reactions: HP

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: Ding Dang Doo

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Aaahhhhhhh is that Junior's home-made blow-up of Digger? Sweet - looks just like him!

Dianne

G

·
0 Posts
My thanks go to Blan & Juz for organising this, and to everyone that made it, it was another fantastic YD trip

Mark Chase, for being Mark Chase, although he looked a little greyer than last year
AndyP, for turning up earlier, and getting "bloody hell your early Andy" off everyone
Illy, for trying but failing to bring as much chocolate as me (& Avril for the bbq)
Simon, for bailing after one day!
Nigel, for agreeing that Buddy make excellent smbs
Howard Payne, for the three minute dive, HES DIVED WITH A STROKE EVERYONE
Nevil, for being sacrificial
Paul Oliver, for filling my space on the Sat PM, having the best dive of the weekend for brass
Keith, for the suitcase drama, and the inflatable suit drama, and for gutting that fish
Ben, for the "childish" jokes ;)
Jay, for being "half" a proper policeman, see you on a train sometime soon!
Ian, for making it for the day despite the buddy situation
the mad people on semi-drys
everyone I've missed
and of course The Dud(e) just for being himself
and the fact that he did try to eat his bodyweight in chocolate :)

5 days Dover diving :D work tomorrow :(

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Hi,

Had a cracking time. S'funny, the easter dive has always been a bit of a highlight. The vis is always pants, spent a few dives swimming in circles looking for the wreck, but it has always been fun.

This was no exception, I admit, I was really looking forward to a dive with vis, all I have heard for the last month was " you should have been there, the vis was xxx".

As I was muttering, I have come to the conclusion that the search for the perfect wreck is no substitute for good company. I have found it increasingly hard to motivate myself to get out of bed at 5.00 am to sit on a boat in silence for two or three hours, swim round a wreck and return in silence. I have no real interest in lifting spidge unless it is really worth it.

Friday was a real tonic, it was a laugh from the moment we arrived, the vis on the dive was not exactly epic, but you could see and actually finding scollops (there were so many it was hard to miss them), picking them up an stuffing them into Marks already insanely full bag was just darned good fun. As I mentioned at least 100 times, it was just like the old days. Good company, a good swim and a bit of nosh to keep Ling happy. I have to say it was also nice to be back in the Water with Mark. We have always had a bizzare understanding underwater, this was no exception, we just kinda know where the other one is and what he will do next. It makes for a relaxing time.

Felt a bit knackered the next day which is a sure fired indication that I had way to much He in my system for my own good. Such is life.

Thanks to Blan and Juz for organising it. Putting dives together can be a painfull task, but it does feel great when they come off. You should feel very happy, it was good.

Take care,

Andrew

1 - 20 of 32 Posts