YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi
Just to let you know EASY JET now refuses to allow diving equipment to be booked on as sporting equipment and only allows you the standard allowance of 20kg. They used to allow an additional 10kg if you produced your certification and membership card of a club. They have stated that they don't recognise diving as a sport yet they give an additional allowance of 10kg for a one off £15 charge but only for golf clubs, windsurfing, paragliding and skiing equipment. We are travelling out to Naples to dive next week and tried to book or wet suits on as windsurfing equipment but when questioned the said this was diving equipment and refused to allow us to book the extra allowance. EASY JET Discriminates against divers and we will encourage everyone to complain about this discrimination or perhaps if we took our dive kit in a golf bag we wouldn't be questioned
:angry:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
all i can say is perhaps stalios should reconsider !

especialy when they say diving isnt a sport !

well it is to some of us !:angel:

ive never used easy jet apart from a few trips to ireland ! so cant realy say ,

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
EASY JET Discriminates against divers and we will encourage everyone to complain about this discrimination or perhaps if we took our dive kit in a golf bag we wouldn't be questioned
Or simply fly with another carrier :)

sorry the kit in a golf bag comment is a very old argument and pointless

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
I've flown with EasyJet and never found anything in their regulations that allowed an extra 10kg.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
I've flown with EasyJet and never found anything in their regulations that allowed an extra 10kg.
Me neither. Nor should they. Cheap flights are cheap.

Chris

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I posted about this last year. They told me that for £15 I could take a golf kit or windsurfing equipment but diving was not considered a sport.

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
The extra weight allowance is hidden in their terms and conditons, you have to phone up and book it if you can actually get through on the phone (at least sept lastyear you did), when we went to javea last year we got stung on the way out for excess, and they wouldnt budge on it, coming home the lassie on the check in desk said we could take out the excess weight and put it in our hand luggage and not get charged. However at the time the hand luggage regulations were that tight and confusing due to those lovely Al-Quadea people we hadnt bothered taking any.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Hi
Just to let you know EASY JET now refuses to allow diving equipment to be booked on as sporting equipment and only allows you the standard allowance of 20kg. They used to allow an additional 10kg if you produced your certification and membership card of a club. They have stated that they don't recognise diving as a sport yet they give an additional allowance of 10kg for a one off £15 charge but only for golf clubs, windsurfing, paragliding and skiing equipment. We are travelling out to Naples to dive next week and tried to book or wet suits on as windsurfing equipment but when questioned the said this was diving equipment and refused to allow us to book the extra allowance. EASY JET Discriminates against divers and we will encourage everyone to complain about this discrimination or perhaps if we took our dive kit in a golf bag we wouldn't be questioned
You are getting what you have been willing to pay for.

If you want more, pay more.

There is a reason why these flights are cheap. They give cheap service, not expensive service.

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
we flew out Majorca in April with a cheap carrier and struggled to make the weight allowance as we had drysuits to take along with BCs regs and fins

Strategy for staying in the weight allowances:

1. get accurate digital scales
2. weigh everything going in and be totally anal about every single item - write a list of what goes into the bags so you can repack and not get stung for excess on the return.
3. wear a pouch weight belt under your jumper at check in with heavy items that are allowed in hand luggage
4. wear a big coat with big pockets stuffed with more items that are allowed in hand luggage
5. arrive at check-in to be the only ones queuing, get fought over by the 2 staff as they're BORED, grin inwardly about the fact that you're dressed like a SCUBA terrorist!
6. find it even more ironic that despite stating a hand baggage weight limit they don't bother weighing the bags....
7. trip to the lav to remove weight belt and excess pocket baggage
8. board flight to find it's only 1/2 full.....so they're not bothered about the baggage weight...

at £6 per Kg of excess baggage each way the cheapo airlines use this as an additional travel tax to boost their profits.

the cheap carrier we flew with to Sharm in February only gave 15Kg hold luggage!

makes sense for them to do this as it encourages people to pack light, cuts the fuel requirement and allows them to run a cheap service.

The cheapo airlines are also catering to the holiday sun package crowd, divers are not their main customers, even somewhere like Sharm the majority of people checking in don't appear to be carrying dive kit.

·
"we're gonna need a bigger boat"
98 Posts

Hi
I don't use Easy Jet, Ryan Air or any of the other "budget" airlines. Their service is cr&p, they fly from obscure airports, they cancel flights regularly, you have to pay for food / drink on board, you don't get seats allocated. Why on earth would you want to fly with them?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Because they fly from Gatwick to the closest airport in Spain for me, they have no weight limit (within reason ) on hand luggage, I take sandwiches for a snack, as a frequent flyer I look at it the same as getting on a bus .

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
I don't use Easy Jet, Ryan Air or any of the other "budget" airlines. Their service is cr&p, they fly from obscure airports, they cancel flights regularly, you have to pay for food / drink on board, you don't get seats allocated. Why on earth would you want to fly with them?
Bit of a problem when you WANT to fly to/from those obscure airports though... as a lot of the time the scheduled airlines don't.

Pete

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
I have to say that in my experience the major carriers are much less reliable than Ryanair. The food on airlines is utter shit so eat before you fly or when you land (even the beer was shit last flight I took - TAP Portugal). I don't mind particularly where I sit.

Chris

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I always think you get what you pay for.

However, it does irritate me a bit when the airlines get anal about how much hold baggage you have, but don't give a rats arse about your hand luggage.

I don't mind where I sit, so long as the person next to me fits into their seat and doesn't need to use any of mine.

Food wise - i am sure they only give you food to make stop you wandering around the cabin for a while and give the crew a break. I do oblect to the fact that on cheapo airlines they charge the earth for shite coffee, but won't let you take any on board, even though you bought it at the coffee shop across from the gate.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
We flew Alitalia scheduled to Rome this year. We didnt even get two seats together, at least you invariably get that with a cheapo as you shoulder charg old grannies out of the way :) Food & Drink was crap. Would never use them again, would have got a better service from easyJet and they are nothing to write home about.

Matt

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
I always think you get what you pay for.
However, it does irritate me a bit when the airlines get anal about how much hold baggage you have, but don't give a rats arse about your hand luggage.
Even more annoying is when you're allowed 2 bags of 23kgs and they make you move stuff when one's 12 kgs and one's 26 kgs. And the heavier one has the same stuff in it that was OK on the last set of airport scales.

I find that if you book BA online, it's often much the same price as Easyjet or Ryanair and for me LHR is much more convenient and North Terminal is so much better than South at LGW. Often if you're booking only a few weeks before and want to go at the weekend, BA is cheaper.

Jason

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
It is all the result of an evil plan by the Golfing Mafia.

They want to drive all travellers back onto the ground so that they can employ them as caddies and so that there will be enough room at the back of their plane for their wives and a good seat next to them for their golf bats or raquets (whatever they are called).

I do agree with one thing though..... Diving is not a sport, it is a pastime whereas golf and skiing can be either.

Regards
Midnight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Me neither. Nor should they. Cheap flights are cheap.

Chris
Hi
Dive magazine did an article on allowances and Easy Jet said divers could take 10kg at an additional cost of £15. They list this on there web site but have now decided diving isnt a sport. Unfortunatly we dive southern Italy twice a year and sqeezy jet are local to us so we have to use. Treat everyone fairly dont discriminate! We will now look at other places in the med to dive, wonder how the Italian tourist board would feel when they find out sqeezy jet are loosing them tourists.:angry:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts