YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a couple of dives where divers come back with a crab or a flatfish for their supper.

What's the deal on eating sea creatures? Is it frowned upon, illegal or the done thing?

I quite fancy taking a crab back for the pot and can't see any difference between me catching it and a fisherman catching it.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
There was an article in a recent edition of The Field which summarised the various rules on taking shellfish if you can get hold of it. Can't remember which one, I'll have a look when I get home if I still have it.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
There have been various discussion on here about this.

Bottom line is that some people do it, some hate it and some don't have a problem but don't do it.

The only thing I would say is that if you take from the sea, then check the legal restrictions on size of the animals you take, and only take what you (and your family) will eat. Don't waste and don't sell on unless licenced to do so.

Also some areas of the sea are restricted, so be careful where you catch. The department of fisheries should be able to help you out with 'no take' zones and sizes etc with a quick phone call.

If you are thinking of catching dinner then it may be useful to speak with someone who has been doing it a while, then you can get some tips on how to do and and how to kill quickly.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
What's the deal on eating sea creatures? Is it frowned upon, illegal or the done thing?
I don't eat seafood myself but one-kill equals one-meal is so much better than by-catch and dump because it's not on your quota....

Reactions: 1693

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
I believe that crustacians and fish both frown upon the practise....

Ok Ok I'll just fetch mi coat.......

LOL, Paul

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Being veggie, I don't, but then again I wouldn't stop a buddy doing it, I even pointed a scallop out on one dive. I know lots of folk that do. Like the others say, check what you take is big enough, old enough, not pregnent enough...And don't be greedy.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Some areas have temporary bans on shellfish such as mussels and scallops. They can store any toxins in the water and may take a while to lose them once the water quality improves.

Adrian

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Most skippers will tell you if you're in a no take zone. They'll also tell you if it's too small.

This is extracted from the fisheries website:

Fisheries said:
Minimum sizes of fish

No person shall land, sell, expose or offer for sale, or have in his possession any fish or shellfish that is under the minimum sizes set out below. Any such fish taken on board a boat must be returned to the sea immediately. Licensed commercial fishermen should check their licence conditions as they may contain further restrictions relating to the sizes of fish which may be retained or landed.

Seafish (minimum size in cm from tip of snout to end of tail fin): Bass-36; Bream-23; Brill-30; Cod-35; Conger Eel-58; Dab- 15; Flounder-25; Haddock-30; Hake- 30; Herring-20; Horse Mackerel-15; Lemon Sole-25; Mackerel- 20; Megrim- 25; Mullet-20; Plaice- 27; Pollack-30; Red Mullet-15; Red Sea Bream-25; Saithe-35; Shad-30; Sole-24; Turbot-30; Whiting-27; Witch-28.

Shellfish (minimum size in cm): Chancre crabs (measured across the broadest part of the back)-14; Lady crabs (measured across the broadest part of the back)-6.5; Whelk (total length)-4.5; Spider crabs* (the carapace measured from between the two horns to the rear end of the body shell along the centre line of the body shell)-12; Lobsters (the carapace measured from the rear of the eye socket to the rear of the body shell along a line parallel to the centre line of the body shell)- 8.7; Clams (measured across the broadest part of the shell)- 4; Ormers* (measured across the broadest part of the shell)-9; Scallops (measured across the broadest part of the shell)-10.2; Razor fish (across the longest part of the shell)-10; Queen Scallops-4; Prawn (measured from rostrum to tail)-5

* These fisheries are subject to seasonal closures.
Another thing to bear in mind when catching brown crab is that just because it's the right size doesn't mean it's full of meat.......if the crab has a soft shell (recently moulted) then the inside will not be full of meat and so usually isn't worth taking although the meat is tastier.

Ask you're skipper or another diver how to test for the hardness of the shell. Basically you press the underside of the crab to see if there is any flexing/give in the shell. Trouble is you need to be careful not to press too hard which is why it's easier to demonstrate than to explain.

·
The Artist known formerly as 'ScubaRGN2'
386 Posts
Not had hedgehog but had Monk Jack .................wasn't that keen, and its fish mongers for me apart from scallop hunting next week.

·
(Formerly Polarbears Dave) - YD advertiser
267 Posts
Most skippers will tell you if you're in a no take zone. They'll also tell you if it's too small.

This is extracted from the fisheries website:

There is only presently one statutary no take zone in the UK, around Lundy Island off North Devon.
Minimum landing sizes also vary from area to area, so it is worth checking with the local Sea Fisheries Committee (for example bass are 37.5cm in Cornwall).
BSAC recently supported a proposed spearfishing ban in South Wales, which would also have stopped scuba divers taking flatfish

cheers
dave
drysuitrepair.co.uk

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
there are also voluntary no take zones, isn't kimmeridge bay one?

I like to take dinner home but am fussy what I take, I don't see enough sole and skate to take any whereas scallops lobbies and crabs are fair game as long as they are big enough.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
i thought there was also an area of Pembrokeshire, Skomer? Wherever the Lucy is, I think :embarassed:

I wouldnt know for sure, everywhere is a no-take for me, i am to scared of getting my fingers nipped of by some bloody crab :)

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
I don't take and i don't particulalry like seeing people take, it got bought home to me while diving at Easter, i saw very few of anything while diving over 6 days around the manacles but people form our club where taking whatever they could find, it was grea shame as it some really stunning dives but very little life expcept the scenary.. Then i dived a few weeks later on a wreck out of Littlehampton and was stunned at the amount of life on it, big crabs lots of lobbies eveywhere, i said to the skipper how surpised i was and his answer was " i'm not surprised its hardly ever dived".

Everybody seem to justify taking with the arguement that "i'm only one diver, taking enough for a meal" now mulitply that up over a weekend across the country. Does anyone here put anything back or merely continue to take and take? theres only so much our seas can provide and if everyone takes without thought then what will become of our seas?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Everybody seem to justify taking with the arguement that "i'm only one diver, taking enough for a meal" now mulitply that up over a weekend across the country. Does anyone here put anything back or merely continue to take and take? theres only so much our seas can provide and if everyone takes without thought then what will become of our seas?
Well I have been known to throw up a few times. :) I have also cut crabs and lobsters free from line and let them go.

I do occaisionally take. But is it not regular - low figures each year. So far this year it is 1 lobster and that was from a lesser dived site. Nothing more yet.

Adrian

1 - 20 of 34 Posts