YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well, it will be interesting to ask to pickup and see what excuse comes back as to why you can't!

Alarm bells:
- 24 hour listing.
- No paypal
- No photo
- No history of buying/selling dive gear
- Also selling another high value item on a 24 hour auction in another category.
- The second item is a car, and rather than the obvious "collection only", it states "Buyer pays the shipping and insurance costs". I think not.

Its a scam, no question.

Jamie

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Who sells a big value item on a one day sale?

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
scam

I seem to remember 2 or 3 months back there was an auction for an identical item (with photo admittedly )with the same reason given .I can't remember but I think that one was proved to be genuine unlike the look of this one

·
3,628 Posts
oh well, I'll look out for "Selling my meg to upgrade to a kiss". They all see the light sooner or later

(that should wind a few up)

·
1,049 Posts
wreckweasel said:
oh well, I'll look out for "Selling my meg to upgrade to a kiss". They all see the light sooner or later

(that should wind a few up)
Amen - and I bet you'd even make the ultimate sacrifice and let them have your KISS in exchange (plus appropriate compensation to you in vin rouge of course)

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
BertieB said:
Well, it will be interesting to ask to pickup and see what excuse comes back as to why you can't!

Alarm bells:
- 24 hour listing.
- No paypal
- No photo
- No history of buying/selling dive gear
- Also selling another high value item on a 24 hour auction in another category.
- The second item is a car, and rather than the obvious "collection only", it states "Buyer pays the shipping and insurance costs". I think not.

Its a scam, no question.

Jamie
no history of selling anything at all - feedback shows only purchases.

Looking at feedback left for others there are only 3 items still visible.
and 6.50
could easily be building up a positive feedback profile in preparation for scams.
very suspect IMO without any picture or paypal payment method, or collect in person option.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
DaveB said:
You all noticed the other item was a car (which also is selling for £500).

However, did you notice that the car had american number plates, which had been MS Painted out crudely. And he's in East Kilbride apparently?

If this is genuine I'll be willing to eat my words. My gut feeling is that it's a scam so don't touch it!

Esp seeing as he's never sold anything before.

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
Why not raise your queries with the seller, if he's genuine then he might actually sell it and if he ain't then potential buyers wont get scammed.

Just a thought that maybe just maybe if peeps get hassle trying to scam then they might be less likely to do it again.

·
3,628 Posts
The Purist said:
Amen - and I bet you'd even make the ultimate sacrifice and let them have your KISS in exchange (plus appropriate compensation to you in vin rouge of course)
Actually, I looked at/thought about a meg for a while, including a couple of teardowns. I even thought about a boris... they dont give me a significant enough improvement over a KISS to warrant a changeout. Looks like I might actually have to do this bloody homebuild sidemount I keep thinking about.

Still, if they want to offer me vin rouge, they can stroke my kiss ;)

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
Jen said:
Why not raise your queries with the seller, if he's genuine then he might actually sell it and if he ain't then potential buyers wont get scammed.

Just a thought that maybe just maybe if peeps get hassle trying to scam then they might be less likely to do it again.
Awaiting a reply to my message asking if I can collect and pay cash if I win.

G

·
0 Posts
Bantam said:
You all noticed the other item was a car (which also is selling for £500).

However, did you notice that the car had american number plates, which had been MS Painted out crudely. And he's in East Kilbride apparently?
also, American terms are used in the description (plus its a LHD)

tinted windshield
turn signals

·
Registered
324 Posts
Jen said:

Why? I've reported (both of these auctions) to ebay because they are clearly scams - if he's genuine, they won't cancel them. If its a scam then that protects any potential buyers, and gets the phished account suspended.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jen said:

I'm waiting for a reply after asking for the serial number - not holding my breath.

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
BertieB said:
Why? I've reported (both of these auctions) to ebay because they are clearly scams - if he's genuine, they won't cancel them. If its a scam then that protects any potential buyers, and gets the phished account suspended.
I didn't know that you had reported the auctions to eBay, well done you. Didn't want this guy to get away with scamming someone when he'd clearly been spotted by you guys.

·
Registered
176 Posts
bid in

I've just put a bid on to see what it does. If nobody else bids be interesting to see what happens at the end. Obviously it would be a cash-on-pickup scenario, but lets see. It would have surely been on the drogon list if it was real.......

·
Registered
176 Posts
....also noticed he has 19 stars and a paypal account......too much caution cannot be applied though. Beware!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Air Chisel said:
....also noticed he has 19 stars and a paypal account......too much caution cannot be applied though. Beware!
I see no paypal account.

It matters not what the feedback says if the account has been phished.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts