YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Personally I wouldnt like the handle so exposed, seems to me it would be very easy to get it caught on something, back off and release the pony. Having said that I used to run my pony inverted which would reduce the risk. My pony bracket was released by a sping tag which was down the side and a right cow son to release.
Why not try side/front sling instead, similar to a stage rig, I use that method with my wing (still do) and found it fine. Pretty cheap, easy to hand off etc.

Matt

·
Retired
2,054 Posts

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
I'll second Matt's suggestion about side slinging your pony. After reading lots of debate on here I decided it was the way to go. Must admit it can take a bit of fetteling to get it right if you dive with a stab. But once you get the balance right you don't notice it.

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
I think it was Matt that pointed me in the direction of a thread last year about side slinging a pony, it was brilliant just tucked under my left arm and didnt notice it was there, unlike when i tried clamping it on my single i felt lop-sided even with trying to move weight to compensate for the pony.

Cost next to nothing with 2 jubilee clips, some rope and bungie cord.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
I think it was Matt that pointed me in the direction of a thread last year about side slinging a pony, it was brilliant just tucked under my left arm and didnt notice it was there, unlike when i tried clamping it on my single i felt lop-sided even with trying to move weight to compensate for the pony.

Cost next to nothing with 2 jubilee clips, some rope and bungie cord.
Ta for that, but I have to say with my new avatar I cant be doing with bungie (or bungee) :)

Matt
(oh how the dir lot are going to giggle when they see my kit)

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts

·
on last legs
890 Posts

They are waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than SS bands and latching system. It's just about indestructible. The chances of 'knocking' it off due to the handle are totally non existant, it's a heck of a locking mechanism!.
I also personally know the guy who designed, built and developed it.He, and his family have been diving for a living since before time began!
For the cynical out there, I'm in no way financially attached to the guy or the clamp system, I just know that it's a damn fine, and well thought out bit of kit.
Hope that helps matey.

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks guys. I'll give the underslung options a go. I am rubbish at all this DIY stuff, so if I lose my little pony, I'm blaming you :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.