YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>A while ago in my club, 2 people realised that they had been bidding against each other on ebay and ended up inflating the price of 3 or 4 auctions.

So, how about everyone gives their user name so that they don't end up bidding against each other.

Juz

Ps - what's peoples thoughts on buying from Ebay?

Juz

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Juz @ Feb. 24 2004,13:37)]Ps - what's peoples thoughts on buying from Ebay?

Juz
Caveat emptor! (let the buyer beware)

Can't see the attraction myself, certainly wouldn't buy anything electrical or safety related (eg regs) from an auction. Plus people get suckered into thinking it's cheaper than it is because its on E-bay, eg my bruv in law was looking to buy a CD writer and was about to pay around 30 quid when I showed him where you could get a brand new fully guaranteed one from a reputable supplier for £20  

Plus one of our YD crew bought something from E-bay, which, upon closer inspection, was 99.9% likely to have been stolen property.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Ebay's great - I sold a second hand drysuit for twice what I paid for it, and got a set of regs for £30.

However, it's the last place I would go to buy anything I was going to go diving with. I only bought the regs because I wanted a go at taking them apart

It IS, however, a great source of out-of-print books..

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've bought a couple of regs off eBay and been very pleased- but have taken them straight round to Divequip (www.divequip.co.uk) for the once over. Have also had a couple of sealing DSMBs of eBay too for reasonable money. It all depends on what's on when- you can be very lucky and get something for a bargain especially if it is misspelt or posted in the wrong section. Hence lots of bargains for gauges, buoys and other misspelt stuff.

Otherwise stuff tends to be expensive, especially later on in the year when everyone is a bit flusher. Best time to buy is Jan and Feb when everyone's skint and selling unwanted Xmas prezzies. Computers go for silly money sometimes, more than new, especially desirable stuff.  Also watch out for your LDS getting rind of stock on eBay- Go-Dive sold a stack of last years cylinders not long ago on eBay.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Best place to get 2nd hand kit is adverts on ukdiving etc or local clubs, or post here. But if you're selling, I'd definitely use eBay- someone bought my bloody horrible orange membrane drysuit for 120 quid and i bought my new one including undersuit, hood, gloves, bag, as new for 100 from someone in the club who needed the money (always useful, that).

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I got  a Uwatec bottom timer for £30 and sold my old (at least ten years) dry suit for £30, it was pretty knackered but i did put that in the description and the winner even emailed me thanking me for such a bargain!

Agree with Dom about it being a good source for books, and DVDs.

Paul

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I've bought two weight belts from Ebay (I lost the first one), including shot, for £17 and £20.  That was cheaper than I could have bought the shot for at my LDS.

I saved on postage as both were bought from people in Leamington Spa (is there a oversupply of weighbelts in the midlands?) and my company had until last weekend an office there - the vendors dropped them off at the offices, I picked them up on my next visit.

I wouldn't buy anything important like regs from ebay though; when you add the service cost on and compare against dive shows, it's not as cheap as you might think.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I got a drysuit for my ex for £60 that didn't leak, the seals were britlliant, and it fitted perfectly. That's never going to happen again, but there was no photo. I asked the right questions and got an absolute bargain.

I also got the leakiest suit ever a few years ago for £140, which still isn't dry, and will be going back on ebay soon. There will be a warning that it needs attention, but I expect to get £100 probably.

Stuff sells for more than it should provided it is listed correctly. Youc an get bargains, but they're few and far between for my money. I prefer uk diving and classifieds here and handbagnet etc.

If you know what you're looking for you're sorted, but you've got to be careful.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>I think that as long as you know exactly what you want and exactly how much you are willing to pay and are happy to wait, then it's ok, but care does need to be taken.

But also I don't want to end up paying more because I'm bidding against another YDer, I'd rather agree to bow out and wait for the next one.

Juz

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>i got a brand new still boxed x-steam on e bay from a dive shop for £225 and a tx50 nitrox for £99 so i think that wes quite a bargain
ps same seller has one on now which will go cheap
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....y=16056
but only a couple of hours to go but you will not be dissapointed

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Things tend to go for more than they're worth on e-bay, could probably make a tidy profit buying from classifieds and selling on e-bay!
That said bargains do appear, but looking for them can be time-consuming. Also, if something has been accidentally mis-described (or deliberately) and the seller is not a reasonable person, you're pretty much stuck with it and even if they do return your money you probably lose two lots of postage charges.
But if you ask questions and aren't drawn in to bidding wars there ARE bargains. The biggest problem is probably postage which can turn a marginal bargain into a poor deal.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I've bought a lot from ebay, ukdiving, and the odd bit from here, but have pretty much given up on ebay for big bits of divekit because you are talking silly money now.

I do buy a lot of CDs from there but that's a different kettle of fish.

If you do buy from ebay, then I would recommend sniping I use www.esnipe.com. Just put in your maximum price and forget about everyone else. It would stop inter-Yd bids too.

Laters,
   Janos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts