YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

OK - its a muddy puddle but its 25 mins from both myself and Dave J who had not dived this site since it was only 10m deep.

£5 for a lifetime membership and then £5 a day for starters. Air fills on site, a beach for trainees and plenty of parking space with 3 entry points. Tea/coffee and toasties on site for the surface interval - cant be bad.

First off - there were about 30 people there on Sunday so overcrowding aint an issue - water temp @ 8 degs. Loads of training platform space.

Dive 1 - In at the entry point near the barrier, drop down the slope to about 10m then across to the 50` boat. Vis to start with was around 3m reducing to zero at the front of the boat which lies in 17m. Horrible vis, dark and not much to see. Later we were told that if you want to see it - get in first, it doesn`t take much to screw up the vis. The front of the boat lies next to the `sump` which goes to 20m hence the crap vis.

On the way my compass went nuts - deciding north was south etc - poss due to a big floating pontoon overhead - spooky

During the surface interval Dave told me how him and Karen were there once and in a certain area could not get positively buoyant however much air was put in the suit/BCD but if they moved from that spot they became immediately buoyant - spooky or what?

Dive 2 - Dropped down on a training platform in the middle of the water - vis about 3m and suns shining. On the platform is a small racing car. Off for a tootle to the far side and follow the margins round - found another 2 boats, telegraph pole but missed the `cave`. Nice little dive - on the way back dropped down to 11m at the deep end to check out the van.

Lots of trout in the shallows

Overall it wasn`t bad - variable vis to zero in the deeps to 4m in the left hand area. Missed the cave and the armoured transporter so good excuse to return.

A nice alternative to the crowds at Cape and well worth a dive or 2 if you cant get in the sea. Cant understand why more people dont give it a go - particularly trainers/trainees

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Well Kirky it seems to be getting better there, agree a nice alternative to capernwray. OK for trying out new bits and pieces me thinks.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

shall we have a yd jaunt there in the near future then?  hands up for takers...

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Yep, I'm game. Not done Eccy before, so be interested in what it's got to offer. Have to be a day on a weekend gig though.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Watford,
anywhere North of that forget it,
do you really think with a name like Eccy its going to be down here?

Matt

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Sorry folks,IMHO,there's no way I'm going to pay money to get into a site that's been "developed" just to get wet.It used to be quite an interesting dive at Eccleston with lots to see(including the odd corpse,bag of stolen jewellrey etc).
Now it's all new and sanitised with all the interesting stuff taken out,bit like virtual reality sex,beacuse people demand facilities to go diving......other than water.The phrase"To boldly go where no man......."pops into mind.
I'd much sooner look around for an interesting bit of water and have a look at that.
One man's meat though.
Hobby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts