YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I've been snooping around t'internet again, when I came across this: EDO 04

Anyone played on one? Any opinions?

It just looked so simple it would work, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Digs.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

That's the clone of the Halcyon RB80 - the DIR-endorsed SCR.
Make of that what you will...

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Some poor sod popped his clogs on one just recently in shallow water.  Then again, he was untrained & diving solo.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Looks pretty simple, and with an oxygen sensor could increase duration a whole lot though, no?

Why is the halcyon so expensive if it's so simple? This looks like a good home-build basically. Any idea how much one of these costs?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Because it has "Halcyon" written on it..?

Being fairer - Halcyon could argue that they have a lot of R&D costs to recoup, which this firm doesn't as they've just copied their design. (Although I have heard that Halcyon didn't actually design it, but were gifted with the whole thing)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Jan. 05 2004,08:32)]Because it has "Halcyon" written on it..?

Being fairer - Halcyon could argue that they have a lot of R&D costs to recoup, which this firm doesn't as they've just copied their design. (Although I have heard that Halcyon didn't actually design it, but were gifted with the whole thing)
Reinhard Buchally (of EKPP fame) designed the RB80. Hence the RB designation (not meaning rebreather
)

AIUI it was a design continuation over the original fridge and used many of the existing concepts (I'm happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong
)

BTW something to bear in mind about the price. Halcyon has never intended that the RB80 should be a mass produced sell to everyone type of rebreather. It's designed for long deep cave type exploration and I suspect they keep the price artifically high.

HTH
Rob.

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

The EDO is apparently a clone of the RB80. Theres a lot of allegation that the EDO has missed some fundamental bits, but I havent seen much evidence of that, apart from a  spurious reference to a 'flapper valve', which I think is the inlet to the exhale counterlung (small one).

The chap who died on the EDO was untrained, solo (alledgedly on his first dive) and had somehow managed to warp the valve on the exhale counterlung, which meant no gas dumping... hence the loop O2 just dropped.....

As for cost... the RB80 is around 9000 USD and thats just for the basic version, before you start adding multiple gases. Im told the EDO is about 25% of the cost.

The thing you have to bear in mind is its designed use.... its basically a gas extender, designed to be used to provide intuitive bailout and to provide best WOB in a horizontal position.

The CL assembly sits in the base of that tube.... do your own brainwork on its WOB when vertical. Also, it seems that most people are find that during any vertical ascent.... you go OC to ensure that the FiO2 is life sustaining. Give it some thought, you'll suss out why.

So, still want one then digs?

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zaksherlock @ Jan. 07 2004,19:01)]The CL assembly sits in the base of that tube.... do your own brainwork on its WOB when vertical.
<font color='#8D38C9'>Having messed around with a counterlung at the below the scrubber I can confirm that unless you intend to remain near to horizontal at all times then it is a BAD IDEA unless you want to automatically clear your ears everytime you go head up.

It had occurred to me that by weighting the base of the bellow (where the exhaust valve is) this might alleviate the difference in hydrostatic had between the wearer's lungs and the bellows (as was done with the old PVR-BASC or "Fridge") - anyway, I'm assured that this is not the case.

The RB-80/EDO O4 etc. is a very nice gas extension tool for long deep cave diving but is not intended (Michael Waldbrenner's words) as a recreational rebreather.

Duncan Price

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>If it's good for long deep cave diving, couldn't it do for long deep wreck diving too? How deep do you mean? I was thinking about a gas extension tool for 40-50m dives, where twins is all well and good, but I'd rather be on smaller tanks on my back, and with much less restriction on dive time. I suppose by the time I've put twin 7s either side of it it's the same size as twin 12s. Anyway, I was just thinking about different options, as I'd not seen this one before I fancied canvassing a bit of opinion.

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

You can make most things work, its a question of if they're ideal. I havent dived on one of these, but I suspect you'd need to carry a fair bit of total weight even with one.

I guess it doesnt hurt to keep looking..... if it were me though, I'd be thinking fully closed. (small package, and one of its bailout modes is SCR)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobK @ Jan. 05 2004,11:28)]BTW something to bear in mind about the price. Halcyon has never intended that the RB80 should be a mass produced sell to everyone type of rebreather. It's designed for long deep cave type exploration and I suspect they keep the price artifically high.

HTH
Rob.
The RB80 is even more specific than that in that its designed for long deep silt free caves.

There are two reasions to use a CCR in cave diveing. One is to extend the available gas and the other is to prevent/ limit the reduction of visabuility caused by exaust bubbles hitting the ceilng of the cave. The RB80 dosent do this so its not ideal for silty caves. I understand that a bubble defuzer mod has been used to help prevent the impact of the exausted bubbles but its still not ideal.

Personaly I dont think the RB80 is even half as good as a KISS but the KISS is a fraction of the price and also has nominal failure points. I cant imagine why a non DIR diver would choose a RB80 over a Meg or a CS luner and arguably an insperation.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>a chap in france who bought a bit of kit of me last week has just started using one,he says he will let me know how he gets on.
i will pass on his feedback asap with his permission.
cheers
barrie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts