YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

This has just been sent round our club - bit of a lucky escape....

We received a call around midnight Sunday, our very own Captain  Scuba (steve) has had a very lucky escape whilst on holiday in New Zealand.

Steve was returning from a dive called the Brothers, 11 miles off shore on The Cook Staits when he went into the cabin to fetch his camera, at this point the 6m catamaran he was travelling on (shockwave, a twin 150 merc) was struck by freak wave.

All other 6 guests were thrown clear, but as the Cat capsized it did so with our Captain in the cabin.

The cat immediately began to sink, Steve quickly tried to free some equipment but without sucess, but he was able to switch on a cylinder and breath off a regulator while battled to free himself from the tangled equipment.

In Steve's words, the water was thick green, the noise was deafening and the petrol was burning his face and eyes. Steve was still unable to untangle equipment (i assume he couldn't see, although he did say that there was an air pocket on the ceiling, suppose that would have been the floor as the cat was upsideown), but his was able to get himself orientated and after taking several large breaths he made his way out of the cabin and a CSEA to the surface.

Apparantly the other 6 were very suprised to see him, he had been down and trapped for a fair few minutes!

Around 20 mins after everyone being on the surface the cat popped back up, bow first, upside down. All guests at least had something solid to hold onto/sit on (in 15 degrees) while they waited for 4  hours for the coastguard to arrive.

Steve has made the national NZ news and the Dominion Post.

Unfortunatly, in towing home of the stricken Cat everybody lost  their equipment, except Steve's camera.

Steve will be back to the UK in around 2 weeks. I'm sure we will all give him a very very warm well done and welcome.

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

A serious well-done that man!
Keeping his shit squared-away in a very tight-spot! Probably what saved him.

Not to make the poor chaps suffer anymore than he has done, but I do hope he's OK with a full 'report' here (or Rob, maybe if he does it on your club site you can C&P here?) when he gets back, safe and sound!

Tanner-half-a-crown-dustbin-lid material, and no mistake!

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Feb. 03 2004,12:16)]Tanner-half-a-crown-dustbin-lid material, and no mistake!
The equally shrinking then rapidly expanding size of one's ring-piece under such circumstances.  

·
Banned
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Flippin eck - I did post a couple of piccies.  They worked fine on my craptop, but don't appear now I'm sat at home on a differerent pooter.  Obviously I've done something wrong.  A little help anyone?

Bren - What ARE you on about

More details as they become available.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,843 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Feb. 03 2004,14:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Feb. 03 2004,12:16)]Tanner-half-a-crown-dustbin-lid material, and no mistake!
The equally shrinking then rapidly expanding size of one's ring-piece under such circumstances.  
Thanks Bren for your explanation.

I think you have just proved the aphorism - Ignorance is Bliss  

Simon

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,904 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Feb. 03 2004,14:37)]Flippin eck - I did post a couple of piccies.  They worked fine on my craptop, but don't appear now I'm sat at home on a differerent pooter.  Obviously I've done something wrong.  A little help anyone?

Bren - What ARE you on about

More details as they become available.
Rob,

Perhaps the piccies are the wrong size? Wow, first time in your life something has been to big for the application it was intended!!!

If you email them to me I am sure I can sort them out for you.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Well that his book of matches buggered!

Seriously, glad all OK. Looking at the sea-state, and OK, it's as you say 4 or so hours later when the CG had turned up, but assuming this was a 'freak wave', did the skipper have her nose/bow into the on-coming breakers or not? A side-swipe across her port or starboard might explain the capsize - if, say, the skipper was attending to getting the divers in/out of the water and she rotated (side-on to the waves) on her shot/anchor-line in the wind and ran cross-grained to the wave-pattern?

Just a thought?! Like I say, glad all OK and in one piece.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Imported post

Hmm must have been one of the days i didnt turn on the telly
because i didnt hear anything of it, down hear in CHCH.
Glad to see that everyone was ok, with the exception of the battered boat.
The last thing we need are anymore fatalities in NZ.
hmm I wonder if they had an e-berb on board, wonder how they contacted the coastguard?
??.
Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.