YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Eggs - yes eggs, you did read it right

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ok, following a discussion while i was making tea, which way do eggs come out of a hen?
Pointy end first or rounded end first.  Either way its gotta smart a bit i think.
Some biologist will come up with a sensible answer no doubt (Stevil).

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>You really should find something else to do with your free time.

G

·
Imported post

I used to live on a farm raising chickens and this thought never even crossed my mind, you are one weird woman

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>i must be missing something, i thought this was a diving forum, what have chickens and diving got in common.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

off the top of my head I'd say that the "blunt" end comes out first and the pointy end last as the pressure from the cloaca (the hens "outbox") will give it a tapering effect.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>But surely the shell of the egg is set hard by the time it leaves the chicken and the cloaca has no effect whatsoever?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I stand corrected, you're right, we never covered that in our Ornithology module.
However judging by the shape of the birds uterus the egg would most likely still come out blunt end first I reckon
 Any YD-ers keen on American literature can see where this thread could end up

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

You'll have to eggscuse me but I got quite eggcited about your eggclamaition about eggs. You see eggactly eggteen years ago my wife was in eggscuciating pain with an eggceedingly similar problem.  We eggperienced the pain and pleasure  (me the pleasure) of eggquisite child birth. Upon eggamination it would appear  eggstreamly easier if the hard wide, part eggpears first.

Yours

Eggbert

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NeilB @ April 14 2004,08:55)](placing pencils in nostrils and underpants on head) whibble!
ROFLMAO!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The shell is added in the uterus or shell gland portion of the oviduct. The shell is composed mainly of calcium carbonate. It takes about 20 hours for the egg shell to form. If the hen lays brown eggs, the brown pigments are added to the shell in the last hours of shell formation.

In the last portion of the oviduct, the vagina, a thin, protein coating called "bloom" is applied to the shell to keep harmful bacteria or dust from entering the egg shell pores. The egg passes through the oviduct small end first, but is laid large end first. In the vagina, the egg is turned horizontally just before laying. If the hen is disturbed on the nest, the egg may be prematurely layed small end first. "Oviposition" is the act of pushing the egg from the oviduct.

When an egg is laid, it fills the shell. As it cools, the inner portion of the egg contracts and forms an air cell between the two shell membranes. A high quality egg has a tiny air cell, indicating the egg was collected soon after being layed and was stored properly. The air cell is usually located in the large end of the egg where the shell is most porous and air can enter easily.

There, my three years of biological study came to use.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>My god, that sounds remarkably painfull, managing to turn an egg around internally!  

What a party trick!  

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I could make a rude joke about you now knowing why the cock always crows in the morning but I don't go there.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts