YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Weasily recognised or stoatily different?
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We take delivery of our spangly drysuits within the next few days, but whilst we were being measured up we were shown a suit that had apparently been perforated (I originally typed teabagged, but that's a completely different thing) by Egyptian Security, as a result of them apparently sticking some sort of rod/poker through the contents of the case.
Now we were considering taking our drysuits out there when we go (to Marsa) in December, but this has made us wonder about the wisdom of doing that.

Has anyone heard of this before?

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Wear what the dive guides wear: Drysuits in mid-winter.

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wear what the dive guides wear: Drysuits in mid-winter.
That was our thought.
If we are doing multiple dives a day then that's going to be most comfortable. Wetsuits are fine in the water (even in the UK to some extent) but when you get out and if it's windy it can be a bit unpleasant...
Having said that I suspect it would be a lot less unpleasant than finding out your drysuit has more holes than a collander on the first dive.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I've taken a lightweight drysuit to Egypt in Dec/Jan a few times and it's always been worth it, especially near the end of a weeks live aboard :)

Never had any issues with it getting there or back.

D.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Yep I took mine on my last Egypt December trip. It can get very chilly especially later in the day and getting out of a drysuit when everyone else is rushing for the shower is very nice :)

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
We take delivery of our spangly drysuits within the next few days, but whilst we were being measured up we were shown a suit that had apparently been perforated (I originally typed teabagged, but that's a completely different thing) by Egyptian Security, as a result of them apparently sticking some sort of rod/poker through the contents of the case.
Now we were considering taking our drysuits out there when we go (to Marsa) in December, but this has made us wonder about the wisdom of doing that.

Has anyone heard of this before?
No I have never heard of this and find it hard to believe.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Take it as hand luggage. If you pack carefully it goes in a handluggage bag. It's also one of the heavier items you will be taking, so hand luggage makes sense.

Digs.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'd agree that if you feel the cold you should take a drysuit to Marsa for December. Over new year I was in a 5mm suit, plus 2.5mm FE vest, plus hood and was still a bit chilly towards the end of the dive, particularly towards the end of the week. Friends were in 5mm suits with shorties over the top as well and were just about right - but as you say it doesn't help when you get out and it's windy, particularly after a night dive.
Best to be comfortable I think. All the guides wear dry suits at that time, and in fact when I was there at the end of April the water was still unusually cold for the time of year, and some of the guides were still in drysuits!!

Sarah

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Take it as hand luggage. If you pack carefully it goes in a handluggage bag. It's also one of the heavier items you will be taking, so hand luggage makes sense.

Digs.
pmsl - if everyone took as hand luggage, something that someone suggested they always took as hand luggage, there'd be nothing in the hold!

On this forum, the following have been suggested by people to take as hand luggage:

1. Regs
2. Camera Equipment
3. Log books
4. Dive computers
5. Rebreathers
6. Dry suits.

And that is just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head.

Some of those it is logical, sensible and advisable. Others, it smacks of a little bit of unnecessary worry.

But that is my opinion. Just please make sure that there is enough room in the overhead bins for my bag!

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts

Digs.
Depends who you fly with. Monarch have a shitty 5kg hand luggage limit:(

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pmsl - if everyone took as hand luggage, something that someone suggested they always took as hand luggage, there'd be nothing in the hold!

But that is my opinion. Just please make sure that there is enough room in the overhead bins for my bag!
We will have an allowance of 2x5kg (at normal size) between us, plus an additional bag for swmbo's gluten free food (with a letter from the doctor).
Once notebooks/cameras/dive computers are taken up then there isn't a lot left from 5kg.
Am I allowed to stick my coat with its overflowing pockets in the locker though? ;)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Not heard of a perforator thing at all. If its a real worry maybe get one of those solid plastic cases.
I carry my drysuit all the time without problem (although to be fair, its a seaskin and i dont think i'd notice 40-50 more leaks as its like a tea bag already). I stopped wearing it last week and moved into a 7mm wetsuit with 3mm vest for the summer.

The only thing to be careful of leaving Egypt is to put wallets, phones and valuables into your hand luggage when its x-rayed and not the plastic trays. Ive heard of a few more people having money and things swiped by the security staff from the trays.

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tbh it's not something we'd ever heard of, but it was a niggly concern nonetheless. It sounds like a one off from the sounds of it - and why would Egyptian security check it like that inbound anyway? More likely to be dodge packing imho...
Thanks for the replies everybody.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

·
The DSMB means PUT THE KETTLE ON !!
201 Posts
dont forget with Thompson you get an extra 5 kg allowance on production of a certification card... i know coz i just come back with them.... Security at Hurghada was not exactly robocop, more keystone cop lol.... I needed all 30 Kilo though and that was 7mmwetsuit and all gubins associated. :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

On this forum, the following have been suggested by people to take as hand luggage:

1. Regs
2. Camera Equipment
3. Log books
4. Dive computers
5. Rebreathers
6. Dry suits.

And that is just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head.

Some of those it is logical, sensible and advisable. Others, it smacks of a little bit of unnecessary worry.

Surely you would just wear all that? :d

J.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts