YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks booked in El Gouna, via Direct Holidays....much cheaper than Thomas Cook n same service.
Stayed at 3 Corners Ocean View....convenient for Abu Tig Marina and wandering in evenings. Hotel fine, although some evening meals could have been better, but couldn't they always ? Great for a chilling out break !

Booked 5 days diving with Emperor Dive Tribe as dived elsewhere before with Emperor.
Premises "tired" looking.
Diving ok although only got to see reefs...disappointing as wanted to see some wrecks. They may be in a transition from Dive Tribe to Emperor, but impression I got was disorganised with no management. Never knew where we were to dive, even when we boarded the boat in the morning !
No challenging dives and 25m deepest, although where we went there was not much to see below that. Guides ok and atmosphere on boats friendly.
Transport from & to hotel was pot luck....no names on vehicles, minibuses tired and returned in the back of a pickup on first day....not a good impression.
Checked out and no encouragement to do any more dives, or mention of the fact that I'd put my name up on the board for "special" dives......to wrecks. No T shirts, so no advertising ! :sad:
Thanks to Rob & Chris, for company & photo's.

Checked out Orca Dive clubs in Abu Tig Marina. What a difference....board outside lists intended dive schedule, weather permitting, but at least their intentions are posted. Sat down to discuss diving in well stocked, clean, tidy shop. Rosalie Moller in 2 days from "big" boat, so booked. Took kit in, boxed and stored, given tour of stores, kit room and workshop....impressively clean n tidy. Is this just the Germanic influence ! Also free nitrox if qualified.
Met at office, kit loaded onto Orca pickup and transported to boat in Orca minibus with air con !
Only 1 other English guy on boat, thanks for company & buddying up Dave, although all guides friendly and gave seperate briefing. Dives were good ~ little current and great vis.

Will return to El Gouna, Ocen View and dive with Orca. The office is convenient for the hotel and boats are loaded and return to Abu Tig when possible, rather than the other end of the resort. Single dive appeared expensive BUT was to RM. Emperor Dive Tribe charge a hefty supplement on top of a days diving for the wrecks. Special offer ORCA were running meant I could have dived the first 5 days much cheaper with them ...... and probably seen more of the wrecks ! :thumbs_up:

Orca weren't aware of YD so suggested they advertise here.
Try Orca, would be interested to hear opinions....oh, and got the T shirt !

·
So much more than a child's play thing!
2,725 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more, I stayed at the Movenpick last November, my room was just about 200 yards from Dive Tribes base. I checked them and a few others out and finally decided to dive with Orca. I found Dive Tribe to be more expensive and they had quite a few extras that would have increased costs further.

I thought Orca were excellent, they cater mainly for the German divers but their guides all spoke excellent English and several other languages. When I was there there were a few Brits on board and we had had briefings in English. Their dive centre was well set out and the kit appeared to be well maintained (I had my own). The daily organisation was very efficient (typically Germanic :)) and the boats in good nick and well run. I realise that this sounds like an advert for Orca but I was well impressed and will certainly be going back.

Oh, and we did dive the Giannis D and Carnatic but the wind blew up before we could get on the others. Great dives.

Not so impressed with their memory though as I mentioned YD with them a few times :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Napier
Thanks for your comments about your recent trip to El Gouna. I am very pleased you found our guides OK and the atmosphere on the boats friendly. I feel it would be helpful to others to explain some of the points you have made.

As mentioned, we are in a transition period moving from Dive Tribe to Emperor Divers. I agree that the centre does indeed look a little 'tired'. Unfortunately you came at a time before renovations on and around the dive centre had started. I am pleased to inform you that renovations have now begun to completely modernize the equipment storage room, kit room and reception area, including the addition of a fully stocked retail shop on the premises.

I can understand your disappointment at not being able to visit Abu Nuhas while you were diving with us. This trip usually runs every Monday weather permitting. It is unfortunate that the Monday that you dived with us the weather meant that the sites were blown out. This is something that we obviously cannot control but I am looking at ways of providing the service with other dive centres on a more regular basis.

I understand you had a conversation with our Receptionist, when she explained that should a Rosalie Moller trip become available while you were still in El Gouna, we would contact you at the hotel. Unfortunately a trip did not materialize. The trips to Rosalie Moller are suitable only for a more experienced diver which limits the numbers interested in going. The nature of the trip means we use another boat and it is simply not cost effective to run the trip with less than 6 divers. I am pleased that you did manage to get a dive on the wreck in the end, it's just a shame it wasn't with us! As with the Abu Nuhas trip, your feedback has prompted us to review the wreck trips to see if we can offer them more regularly.

I'm sorry you felt the diving was not 'challenging'. We obviously have to look at the needs and capabilities of all divers on the boat on that particular day. Sites are chosen due to a variety of factors, such as guest capability and weather. The dive sites should have been made clear to you during the boat briefing on the day. It is not unusual to leave the choice of a particular site until the morning when boarding the boat due to the factors mentioned, however, I take your point about making it clearer when we plan to do certain dives like Abu Nuhas and this matter will be improved with the revamp. Apart from the days of operation to the wrecks, all the El Gouna centres tend to visit similar sites on most days.

We are in the process of changing vehicles to a more modern type.You certainly should not have ridden in a pickup for which I apologise and I have spoken to the driver and staff about this.

Thanks very much for the constructive comments, as I said previously we are currently going through a transition period and are renovating the dive centre and replacing transport to the dive centre and marina for a more modern air conditioned bus.

I hope that when you next visit El Gouna and dive with Orca as you said, you pay us a visit to see the improvements and changes we have made, and I look forward to seeing you and buying you a beer!

Thanks again for your valuable comments and safe diving..

Mat Cotton

Emperor Dive Tribe
El Gouna

·
Maybe those Mayans had something after all .....
91 Posts
Hi Bob,
It was great to buddy up and dive with you to. Shame you weren't around for a couple more days as we we went back to th RM and had another couple of cracking dives. First dive we went in through the bomb damage and exited through the rear hold, second dive we dropped into one of the front holds and exited through the other.
I have to agree with everything you've said about El Gouna/Orca/Ocean view but then I suppose seeing as I've done this combination five times in the last three years I guess they must all be doing something right !!
Talking to Thomas (the manager) at Orca, one of the problems he feels they have in advertising themselves to us Brits is the language barrier. He seemed a bit concerned that if they post things or advertise on the likes of YD that the grammer etc might not come across as intended. Seems like they could do with someone English who lives local with a good writing ability (any ideas who might fit the bill Georgina ?!?! )
All the best
Dave.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Orca do know about YD, Safagamarc of this parish was head of tech diving and worked at Orca for over 7 years. He only just left them a couple of weeks ago.

I dive at Orca and use them in preference. I can organise diving the Wrecks at Safaga, Hurghada and the RM all in a week shore diving. I even translated some of their website.

Orca is German, German owned and possibly the biggest dive tour operator in Germany. They used to employ a British PR person but were never really interested in the British market as they have a worldwide reputation as a tech diving centre.

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
Seems like they could do with someone English who lives local with a good writing ability (any ideas who might fit the bill Georgina ?!?! )
The whole idea of these forums is to get feedback from divers' experiences like you have said you have done five trips in the last three years to El Gouna/Orca/Ocean View. It is also good when there is a negative comment, like above with the Dive Tribe, that the dive center responds and explains why things went wrong. I have lived in El Gouna since 2004 but I have never dived with Orca so it would not be fair for me to comment. I used to always dive with Dive Tribe but they withdrew any discounts for residents last year and for all my friends living here and not earning European salaries to pay Euros 60 for a dive is out of the question. Especially when we have been diving out of El Gouna for many years and visited the dive sites many times before. Luckily a year ago TGI diving at the Sheraton started a dive club for residents so we have a fantastic deal with them which I hope will not change.

I think Emperor Dive Tribe's biggest mistake was losing Horus to Orca in Hurghada!!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Dave. I take your point about Grammar. All too often great adverts and glosy brochures are let down by poor grammar, giving a false impression of the company concerned. I deal with Japanese product and their Engrish in manuals is frustrating, but they will not allow us to vet stuff beforehand !
Maybe something Georgina could do part time or in exchange for dive days ?????

·
91 Posts
I think Emperor Dive Tribe's biggest mistake was losing Horus to Orca in Hurghada!!!![/QUOTE]

If we're talking about the same Horus, he's now at Orca in El Gouna. I had a few days diving (and personal dive brief translation) with him and have to say he's a really nice bloke !

All the best
Dave.

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
If we're talking about the same Horus, he's now at Orca in El Gouna. I had a few days diving (and personal dive brief translation) with him and have to say he's a really nice bloke !

All the best
Dave.
Yes, think he's moving between Gouna and Sunny Beach on the way to Hurghada. Ricci snorkelled with a manta ray on the way to Rosie yesterday!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys, as you say, the residents discount was dropped before Emperor integrated. It has, however, been re-introduced for holders of a residents card.
All the best and safe diving!

·
91 Posts
Yes, think he's moving between Gouna and Sunny Beach on the way to Hurghada. Ricci snorkelled with a manta ray on the way to Rosie yesterday!!!
Why did these thing always happen the week after I've gone home :frown: ?!

·
91 Posts
Apparently after I left last year I missed a Phoenix and two Unicorns :) !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts