YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't post much on here about politics - especially during elections as it is my paid job. However, I am a little anxious about the number of people who are posting on Facebook and the like saying that they want to vote but have no idea who to vote for.

Regardless of the leadership debates, what you actually vote for is your local MP and whilst you may have had election addresses through your door it may not have helped you make your mind up.

There are quite a few 'find out how my opinion stands' websites around but these don't normally tell you anything about the person you are voting for.

Try TheyWorkForYou Election: It's job interview time for your next MP!

It is neutral, based on actual local issues, with answers from the people you would be voting for. It may help you if you are unsure what to do today. I've tested it in two areas and relevant local questions came up. Both areas I tried had all the main parties represented but I understand that may not be the case everywhere.

Obviously I have a political allegiance and would love to see the party I work for do well today - but rather than preach it at you on a diving forum - I'll just say one more thing.

Vote.

It is best if you can find a candidate that you support. If you can't decide which of the main parties to give your vote to then vote for something silly, the Monster Raving Loony Party used to be a good one. If you can't even do that then sign your name across the ballot paper. It will register as a spoilt paper which has to be recorded. Show that you were there and you cared enough to bother.

Not going to vote is tantamount to saying you don't care at all. Many people through history and across the world have or would lay down their lives to have a vote and it is a luxury which too many of us take for granted.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Like Clare, the politics of the country have a direct effect on my job, although I suspect the colour is different ;).

I can only echo her words, in that it is, in my view, important to vote, one way or another.

Not voting is not caring.

·
434 Posts
Regardless of the leadership debates, what you actually vote for is your local MP and whilst you may have had election addresses through your door it may not have helped you make your mind up.
The candidate in my borough is pretty unappealing, seems to have appeared from nowhere having tried for selection in four other boroughs, and has only committed to living locally in the last week. If PR was the electoral system, I probably wouldn't vote for him.

However, I'm pretty much forced to vote for him if I don't want another term of Brown and his policies. The borough may get rubbish representation in parliament, but national policy will affect me far more than my MPs involvment or lack of it.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just had a rather rude encounter with someone from here over facebook suggesting that I was trying to 'dupe' people into using a website which 'is a cover for a right wing party'....

Those of you who have been members here for more than 5 minutes know that I would not do this and am extremely insulted at the suggestion that I would.

For those of you who don't - theyworkforyou is a a well established democracyonline project which is a registered charity and bears no political allegiance at all. It runs ten Number 10 petition project, has worked for the BBC, and monitors all MPs during parliamentary sessions to report back their activity so that you can find out what your MP is doing - and how much of your money they are spending.

·
Banned
3,724 Posts
I have just had a rather rude encounter with someone from here over facebook suggesting that I was trying to 'dupe' people into using a website which 'is a cover for a right wing party'....

Those of you who have been members here for more than 5 minutes know that I would not do this and am extremely insulted at the suggestion that I would.

For those of you who don't - theyworkforyou is a a well established democracyonline project which is a registered charity and bears no political allegiance at all. It runs ten Number 10 petition project, has worked for the BBC, and monitors all MPs during parliamentary sessions to report back their activity so that you can find out what your MP is doing - and how much of your money they are spending.
Hi..

I am said 'rude person'.

I put in my postcode.... as instructed... this is the link it took me too:

TheyWorkForYou Election: It's job interview time for your next MP!

All of the questions were phrased in such a way as to make you answer in favour of tory policy. i.e.

"Many people think taxes will have to rise in the next parliament to cut Britain's budget deficit. If they do, any increases should disproportionately be paid by higher earners."

Being as this is sold as an impartial site, I felt this was more than a little suspect... and I also feel that to point undecided voters at such a site is very underhand.

If I'm proved wrong, I shall duly retract, and apologise... (not that I can now that I'm unfriended ;) )

The above is what I believe, and I make no apologies for defending my politcal view against the evil conservatives... :p

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
It is best if you can find a candidate that you support. If you can't decide which of the main parties to give your vote to then vote for something silly, the Monster Raving Loony Party used to be a good one. If you can't even do that then sign your name across the ballot paper. It will register as a spoilt paper which has to be recorded. Show that you were there and you cared enough to bother.
Spoiling the paper is sometimes seen as a protest vote, but is discounted by the parties and media, and is treated like people couldn't work out how to vote or wanted to just make a mess on some paper with their crayon.

This, however, is recorded, and announced by some of the announcer people at the results - it demonstrates that you were there and wanted to vote, but that you wanted to vote for none of the above: Blank Vote 2010 election video

I agree that it is incredibly important to vote, even if you spoil your paper or even better (in my opinion) leave it blank.

Best of luck to your lot. Unfortunately I don't have anybody I think I can honestly support at the moment - not helped by the media circus which has failed dismally to actually tell me anything about policies and how the major parties will actually make a difference - it seems to boil down to "vote for us, we've not done the worst job in the world" or "vote for us, we're not that lot" and style over substance throughout.

I am increasingly thinking that a hung parliament would be good for us, so none of the powers that be can force through any more nonsense, and they have to try and get things through based on common sense and parties working together. Sadly I think it will end up being coalition between one party I am indifferent towards and another I don't like much...

And still nobody has come round and knocked on the door to talk to me about what they are going to do. Ho hum. I was the ultimate floating voter and they all missed me.

Digs.

·
Dive plan: go down, swim about a bit, come back up
401 Posts
If I'm proved wrong, I shall duly retract, and apologise...
Better apologise then ;)

I was directed to this website yesterday via an email from a friend.

It compared my answers with the candidates in my area and suggested my affiliation was shared equally between The Green Party and Scottish Nationalists. That's pretty accurate!

There was no Tory bias as far as I could see.

Susan.

·
Banned
3,724 Posts
Better apologise then ;)

I was directed to this website yesterday via an email from a friend.

It compared my answers with the candidates in my area and suggested my affiliation was shared equally between The Green Party and Scottish Nationalists.

There was no Tory bias as far as I could see.

Susan.
ok... interesting, but before I loose my marbles completely... How about the way in which the questions were phrased? as in the example I gave? Just because you 'saw through' the question, doesn't mean it wasn't biased.

Again, I may be wrong... but what I saw worried me greatly.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
ok... interesting, but before I loose my marbles completely... How about the way in which the questions were phrased? as in the example I gave? Just because you 'saw through' the question, doesn't mean it wasn't biased.

The question you quoted - broadly speaking, I suspect that the rich people will disagree with it, and the poor people will agree, which tends to be the demographics of certain parties core support, so it is a logical question really :)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I'm not convinced a hung parliament would be good - allegiences could be made, for example, with the Ulster Unionists which may not be to the benefit of the UK as a whole.
You know what? I'd rather that than have one party run a steamroller over the democracy of the country and go against public opinion time and time again and cock things up.

I believe decision by committee rarely makes significant and bad decisions - we have a jury system for a reason - 12 people don't often get it wrong when allowed to think independently and make their own minds up. I'd hope that a lot of MPs with the power of the whips reduced and the effect of an overall majority removed could make some sensible and moderate decisions.

Digs.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Adam - you may be passionate in your support for the liberal democrats - but posting unfounded slurs casting doubt on people's integrity is simply not on. You have posted stuff on my facebook page three times during this election - but this simply went beyond what is acceptable. Based on what exactly? The fact that a question was worded in your local survey in a way which you read to be unfavourable to your chosen party.

As most people on here know, I believe very strongly in democracy, wear my political allegiance openly but do not abuse people on here by trying to either convert them or con them in any way.

·
Dive plan: go down, swim about a bit, come back up
401 Posts

"Many people think taxes will have to rise in the next parliament to cut Britain's budget deficit. If they do, any increases should disproportionately be paid by higher earners."

I don't see any bias in this statement. If you agree that higher earners should pay a higher percentage of their income in tax your political view is clear. If you disagree and want everyone taxed at the same level then your political affiliation can be judged on that too.

·
Banned
3,724 Posts
Adam - you may be passionate in your support for the liberal democrats - but posting unfounded slurs casting doubt on people's integrity is simply not on. You have posted stuff on my facebook page three times during this election - but this simply went beyond what is acceptable. Based on what exactly? The fact that a question was worded in your local survey in a way which you read to be unfavourable to your chosen party.

As most people on here know, I believe very strongly in democracy, wear my political allegiance openly but do not abuse people on here by trying to either convert them or con them in any way.
Lib dems and greens... but I have no green candidate in my area

I count twice, but not really important... the other one I can remember was before I knew about you job, so I apologise. It was removed so quickly with no comment, and we spoke afterwards again with no comment, so I assumed all was good.

You're right about it being a strong comment. I know understand that you needed to delete it, I understand that it's in your best interested to unfriend me... That's all fine. BUT I do have a right to object to what I think/thought was going on. FB is after all, a public arena. Everything on it is open to scrutiny.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts