YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After using the wing on a few dives, ive been looking at where i stow things. My blob is in a pocket that attaches to my waist belt so thats out of the way, but things like my reel and torch are just clipped on using double enders and they dangle when horizontal (i.e. the majority of the time)

How do you guys stow your gear? With a Stabjacket there is always room in a pocket, but with a harness its a bit harder to see where i can stick things.

Shaun

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I have a Greenforce torch that I use a double ender to clip bottom of torch to a d-ring at waist level on right side, as I use right hand to operate torch. I also have one of those retractable clips, and attach it somewhere near the head of the torch, using a plastic tie thingy. Attached to left side on waist and when horizontal, grab torch head and use/keep in hand. When let go, it snaps back into place, no danglies. :teeth: smb and reel are kept together and I hang this from a bottom D-ring.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Bit of old inner tube - basically a big laggie band.

Chris

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Phil,
I have a JMD L5060 torch,

I have looked at spools, but cant work out how i would use one without losing a finger :D

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
A number of people put attachment points such as D rings on the bottom od their backplates, then clip odd their reels to that. The reel should then only hang down about the same depth as your body, and not below it. Maybe one at each side - reel and torch?

You can also put a D ring way back on the waste band of the harness and do the same thing - clip off items that won't hang too low.

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snoopy Loops

Although ive found a bit on snoopy loops, can anyone give me more of an idea of how to use them?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Hmmm, torch is gonna be a bugger to stow nicely I'm afraid. There's not a great deal you can do with it unless you put it in a pocket IMHO.

Spools, have a search on here for posts by And, there's a cracking video on there of just how to do a spool. The trick is letting go, that way you won't lose a finger trust me :D

Maybe I'm with NickB, drysuit pockets.

You're reel can always go on the butt D-ring, DIR Stylee.

Does any of that help ?

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I have a split ring [on either side] through the bottom hole on the backplate and fix the DSMBI and reel to one and wreck reel to the other.

I then carry a spare smb & reel in a backplate pouch and a spool and other bits and bobs in my drysuit pockets.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
Then you can always get pockets that fit onto the sides and bottom of your backplate. I can get a backup mask in one and a dsmb and spool in the other.

I don't have a drysuit, so no drysuit pockets so these work well (actually not true, I have the suit, just haven't tried to use it yet).

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I clip my torch on to a "D" ring which also has a snoopy on it, the torch is pushed through the snoopy and held parrallel with the harness ,this is what I do on my BCD , on my Tek wing this works with the "D" rings that are on the side of the wing also, but two snoopys are better so that the torch stays at right angles to the wing, motorbike inner tubes seem to be about the right size for what I use them for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.