YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

:idea: Been pondering over this one recently. How many of us go diving without the right information? Could you honestly say you would know how to arrange recompression treatment for a DCS victim? Do you know where the nearest hospital to your favorite dive site is? Who's the local coastguard?

I'm interested as to how many divers actually think about these things before going to a site, and if not, what info do you think you should have with you.

I've had a few ideas including;

Site information - access information including entry/egress and emergency evacuation
Nearest hospital (+ A&E if not)
Contact info - Ambulance, Coastguard (Channel 16, local number, not 999 & region), BHA (British Hyperbaric Association 24hour on call doctor's number - it's 07831 151523 (England) or 01224 681818 (Scotland) btw ;) )
Nearest Chamber location and directions to
Dive site harards
Geographical considerations (will your mobile work? - if not, where is the nearest payphone?)

So, have I missed anything? :book:

Divemaster course? Who mentioned that?...... :hmmm:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Imported post

Nearest Pub of course and do not bother diving.  Seriously tho' going by past experience, does everybody know the name of the site.  Gortien Point in Loch Fyne is known as fish hotel or tripple reef.  Make sure everybody knows where they are, so they can tell the coastguard and avoid the emergency services driving round in circles.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I can recommend the BSAC O2 Administration course which covers a lot of these topics such as managing a rescue, contacting coastguards etc etc. Costs about £10 per person to run the course, plus whatever you need to get in the way of mannikins (resuciannie) O2 kits etc.

I'm qualified to run the course but usually you have a minimum of two instructors, though more often three.
If there's any other BSAC Ins out there with time and inclination (Leedsdiver?) we could perhaps sort one out for summat to do over the winter if anyone is interested ??
Just a thought...
Regards
Steve W

·
Registered
480 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If there's any other BSAC Ins out there with time and inclination (Leedsdiver?) we could perhaps sort one out for summat to do over the winter if anyone is interested ??
<span =''>

Steve,

Think you're probably referring to me, rather than Leedsdiver. I would help out on a course, if I can get time over winter, but it will have to be well into the New Year before I can commit to such an event.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Er...yeah, sorry Richard, I got confused, as both Leedsdiver and you had posted in the same thread, its been a hectic time recently, also confused Drifty's phone number with Andy H's and left a message to boot. Think I need to lie down for a while
TTFN
Al Zeimer

(Edited by Steve W at 5:11 pm on Oct. 28, 2002)

(Edited by Steve W at 5:13 pm on Oct. 28, 2002)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Alzheimer's isnt that caused by repetitive blows to the head, that'll explain yours then Steve, just look at the pasting this poor guy gets on the Bsac pages. Pitty the man.
Mind you he does keep going back for more when he said he wouldnt, hands up who thinks he's a junkie for it.

Matt

·
apparently diving is fun!
104 Posts
Imported post

Planning and risk assessment is all I seem to do. I teach a wide range of outdoor sports, including caving, climbing, mountaineering and of course scuba. Each of these require a detailed writen plan. If anybody needs help on what detail to include etc, drop me a line.

Of course I can always offer anyone the new PADI first aid course or the PADI Recompression Speciality!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from MATTBIN on 5:31 pm on Oct. 28, 2002
Alzheimer's isnt that caused by repetitive blows to the head, that'll explain yours then Steve, just look at the pasting this poor guy gets on the Bsac pages. Pitty the man.
Mind you he does keep going back for more when he said he wouldnt, hands up who thinks he's a junkie for it.

Matt
<span =''>

Ah well, at least if they're having a go at me they're leaving others alone ;) Think I'm weaning myself off it quite well so far, only made one posting yesterday and haven't even looked at it today! Still, if I feel too happy and optimistic and need to be reminded of how boring some of the diving fraternity can be, I know where to go :biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts