• Do not work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Self employed and disagree - living the life of Riley

Votes: 0 0.0%

Employment habits

2K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  tom 
#1 ·
Imported post

Ok following this great comment from Mark.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh its great running your own buisness you spend all day doing bugger all earning loads of cash and then have as many days off diving as you like.

NOT

How many YD members work for themselves ?

#2 ·
Imported post

Well obviously me.

OK its 09:50 I just finished my last report and Christmas has oficialy started  

ATB

Mark Chase

#5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ Dec. 25 2003,08:44)]Ok following this great comment from Mark.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh its great running your own buisness you spend all day doing bugger all earning loads of cash and then have as many days off diving as you like.

NOT

How many YD members work for themselves ?
<font color='#0000FF'>I wish I gots bags of cash. Work damn hard, get bugger all cash and time off is quite a luxuary. 9 to 5 job is begginning to sound good to me

#6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I used to run my own business before joining the cops. I don't envy any of you guys. Sure, working for yourself is the only way to make real money but you have to put so much in - never a day off.

There's no doubt that you deserve everything that you've got, and you're welcome to it.

#7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Guimaraens @ Dec. 25 2003,15:49)]I wish I gots bags of cash. Work damn hard, get bugger all cash and time off is quite a luxuary. 9 to 5 job is begginning to sound good to me
Hear hear!! I agree....I have not had a holiday in 18 months..

#9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>My parents run a tiny village shop (the type where the sweets are in jars on a shelf behind the counter and the most expensive thing she sells is cigarettes).

They get one day off a year - xmas day.  Every other day they work - normally from 6am to 6pm.  They even had to work the millenium as they had the option not to, but the only newspaper supplier would then not supply to them anymore, forcing them to work or face ruin.
My dad is 64, 65 in April, my mum is 59, 60 in june and both look forward to retirement.  

I tell you, unless i was earning big money i would never take on the shop.

#15 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>did you know that you can write off most of your kit against tax, cylinders, computer, dry suit comes under protective clothing, tourch, regs put them down as lead burning equipt. Only jokeing mr Tax man.

#16 ·
Imported post

I am the Head of Finance and Facilities for a small telemarketing agency - yes those people that offer you insurance, mobile phone content, and internet services.

The pay is ok but the hours are flexible (David J - if you are reading this you are a fantastic boss to work with) so I have a tendancy to leave early to go diving without feeling guilty or receiving too much grief

#23 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Porg, best of luck on your interview.
This is the time of the month when I feel like getting a new job. I have my own business and it's paytime for personel and suppliers. Last week I travelled 2,300km across Spain, spent almost 3 whole days on my ass driving around. Came back this morning to find a mountain of bills on my desk, it made a good bonfire though.

#24 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>good luck porg. what exactly is the job?

as for employment habits.... right now i do a totally rubbish admin job, but over the summer the RSPB will be paying me to do what i'd quite like to do anyway - hang around on beaches, go for walks, and look at birds and stuff. also will get to do quite a bit of diving, especially if they give me that boat they're talking about.....  

#25 ·
Imported post

I retired last June, had a one-man business, working at home, for 27 years before that. It was GREAT! It didn't make me rich but enabled me to live comfortably, partly due to all the tax deductions I could make, and lead a free life. I got up at 7.30, ate a leisurely breakfast, read the paper and started working at about 9.00. Worked until about 12.00, then lunch and did various errands (bank, post etc). Started again about 13.00 and worked until 14.30, then half an hour's siesta. Nicely refreshed, I then continued working until 18.00. Compared to the 15 years before when I worked for other people it was paradise.

#26 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Feb. 02 2004,16:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]hang around on beaches, go for walks, and look at birds and stuff.
That was me doing my PhD, going down the beach and calling it work  
 Seriously, I know a fair few folk who happily stab you in the back to get that gig (vicious b*&^%$£"! these twitchers
 )

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]also will get to do quite a bit of diving, especially if they give me that boat they're talking about.....  
Kate suddenly becomes the most popular girl on YD  

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.