YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help !
Does anyone have a copy of the Instruction manual that you can send to me (preferably soft copy). I'm off diving this Wednesday and don't know how to use !
Thanks

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
as Woz said it's a manual strobe. What is there to know? needs AA batteries, fits YS attachments, falls apart after about 100 dives (mine did but I repaired it with bits scavenged from a YS50) I think it is 50m rated.

I also find the fibre optical cable attachment totally crap and a constant source of frustration. I have now glued mine on!!

·
4,553 Posts
I think I binned mine as (if I remember correctly) it is written in really bad English and totally impossible to understand. Everything I have learned in strobe useage (which isn't much) I have learned by experiment or by talking to photo geniuses. It's digital - take a photo - look at the result - really look at it - think of cones of light coming out of the strobe - you want to just catch the subject on the edge of the 'cone' - you DON'T want to light the water infront of the subject as that will light up particles in the water and cause backscatter. Don't fall into the trap I did and think you need to point the strobe directly at the subject - as this is IMO not going to give you the best results on anything but very close work

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Then you'll need another strobe so the cones intersect. And yes the instructions are written in Chenglish and unintelligible. "Turn switching rotator to requested desire mode. Camera interrogation synchronisation via connector on wire cable" or stuff very similar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies chaps. I've got a copy of the manual. Time to start practicing !

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
In the UK in crappy viz I have found dialling the strobes down to pretty much minimum, angling them outwards with the diffusers on and setting the camera to -2 exposure gets you reasonable results with a wide angle lens at about 0.5m to 1m distance to subject. That's with a Canon Ixus 700.

Problem is that it doesn't have a full manual mode so I have to bodge it a bit. Apparently a lot of compacts (mine included) don't have a proper aperture system but put a neutral grey screen behind the lens if you need to stop it down a bit. Bloody cheating, that is.

·
4,553 Posts
yes - my ixus 900 is the same - ND filter I think is what it is called - (bit of grey plastic)
I tend to point strobe out to the right and upwards on about 33% power. If I take on pic soon after it doesn't give strobe time to re charge fully so it sort of reduces power 'automatically'

Getting good photos IS a bodge IMO. Trial and error - mostly error

In the UK in crappy viz I have found dialling the strobes down to pretty much minimum, angling them outwards with the diffusers on and setting the camera to -2 exposure gets you reasonable results with a wide angle lens at about 0.5m to 1m distance to subject. That's with a Canon Ixus 700.

Problem is that it doesn't have a full manual mode so I have to bodge it a bit. Apparently a lot of compacts (mine included) don't have a proper aperture system but put a neutral grey screen behind the lens if you need to stop it down a bit. Bloody cheating, that is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts