YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
No longer a diver :o(
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's,
Have recently fitted the KWTT dry glove system to my dry suit.
Tried them in the pool last night and was quite impressed, thought they'd feel bulky with the massive rings etc but seemed good. Did a lot of wrist flexing (oh err....) and arm waving to make sure they stayed ion too - which they did :teeth:

One question though - how is the best way to equalise the gloves?

I got squeeze in a 2m pool which restricted my fingers a bit so need to find a way of equalising for deeper dives!
Tried pulling a bit of my thin undersuit top through my wrist seal which worked a bit until it went back down the seal.

Now how muc of a gap/air passage do I need, and what can I use?

Also what are the chances of a suit flood via the wrist seal if the glove comes off??

Cheers!

·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
1,751 Posts
I've got Si-Tech gloves and they came with a fine tubing to put under the wrist seal. Works OK, although I keep loosing them.

In answer to the flood, yes, if you flood the glove you are going to flood your suit.
Rob

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I put my undergloves on and then put my arms into the dry suit so the latex seals are over the top of the undergloves. Then I put the dry gloves on.

This works a treat for equalising and I only got a wet arm after an hour of leaking glove at the weekend :) Wasn't even that cold. Yay for 9 degree water, roll on summer :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I use the loops on my undersuit.

Reactions: cjwood23

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I've got a bit of string attached to the thumb loops on my Xerotherms, wrap it round a finger before pushing my hand through the seal. If it isn't permanently attached then I'd be bound to forget a bit of tubing, straw, etc.

·
Wannabe Lotto Jackpot Winner..!
941 Posts
I put my undergloves on and then put my arms into the dry suit so the latex seals are over the top of the undergloves. Then I put the dry gloves on.

This works a treat for equalising and I only got a wet arm after an hour of leaking glove at the weekend :) Wasn't even that cold. Yay for 9 degree water, roll on summer :)
Ditto....

·
No longer a diver :o(
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guy's, some useful ideas there - will give a few of them a go and see which works best for me!!

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
after a few hundred dives of worrying about them failing I gave up being stressed about it and just cut off the excess wrist seals. So there's enough of a wrist seal to attach the ring and nothing else. no more faffing about with bits of bungee or cotton buds.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
after a few hundred dives of worrying about them failing I gave up being stressed about it and just cut off the excess wrist seals. So there's enough of a wrist seal to attach the ring and nothing else. no more faffing about with bits of bungee or cotton buds.
Ooooh you gunna get very wet if you hole your glove!

·
103 Posts

Exact the same method I use and it works well (for me), last time I had a leak got wet lower arm in about 20mins, prob using a thicker underglove allowing more water to wick past the wrist

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts

Exactly what I do, I have some Merino undergloves for the KWTT system from EBay, not had a drop of moisture yet. Done half a dozen or so dives with them, very impressed.

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
The regular DUI ZipGloves don't have internal seals and a hole doesn't result in an instant flood, more like a slow soaking up the arm, just like you'd get by using a glove like you suggest ;)
and that's why I stopped worrying about it.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I'd watch using the thumb loops on Xerotherms if you have long arms, I tried it on my first go with drygloves, hurt like f**k from the loop cutting into my hand. Hence the string.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I use a soft silicone tubing about 4" long.... I've never had any problems equalizing between gloves and suit... they are brilliant bits of kit. Last weekend I badly punctured one of the gloves, so badly I had to wip the glove off and pull the tube out to stop water in my flooded glove dribbling up my arm. ..... really easy and worked very well.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I firstly tried the underglove under the seal method but wasn't convinced I could remove said underglove from the wrist seal in the event of a puncture. Also, I found with having to don the undergloves prior to placing my arms in the drysuit, they got wet when handling wet gear (obviously more evident prior to the second dive of the day) and I couldn't be bothered to remember to have everything sorted before putting the outer glove on.
Recently I've been placing a length of thick bungee underneath the wrist seal and seems to be working well, apart from an imprint of said bungee on my wrist post dive (I dive the suit pretty tight).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts