YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok so tip no 1.

when doing maintenance work on your reel BEFORE taking the thing apart spool the line onto another reel or something similar.

DO NOT unscrew the reel and let the line p*ss out all over the kitchen floor in the vicinity of a 'playful' cat or whilst the your partner is trying to prepare a meal.

This can be a trifle annoying.

over to you guys to add some more...

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Tim,

I did EXACTLY the same thing this afternoon, right down to the cat. Just add a 2 year old daughter in place of the meal.

We all live and learn!!!!!!!

Tip No. 2

Always drain your BC into the sink before removing the dump valves when sitting on the sitting room carpet.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Funnily enough, when I took my Buddy pocket reel apart, the line stayed where it was, no problem.

Tip #3 - when you want to punch a hole in an Otter drysuit so you can install a P-valve, don't bother trying to use a proper hole-punch: Despite the assurances in the instruction book, even repeated thumps on an industrial punch with a heavy mallet result in nothing other than dents in the piece of wood underneath.
A soldering iron does a much better job.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I haven't got aything to add - but Dom where did you get yer P-valve from. Anybody got any recomendations for one?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>There was stuff on scubadiy about making your own p-valve, just need a catheter (from pharmacists apparently), tubing, non-return valve if you want a balanced version (5 quid from B&Q) and then the outlet, which can be made from a brass bolt arrangement.
Dom, you got yours up an running then?
Steve
see here

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Do NOT leave drysuit zip wax lying around when pet rats are out playing.  The wax sort of vanishes - and then gets a bit smaller with ratty teeth marks in it.

Also, do NOT leave your drysuit lying around when said pet rats are out playing.  They like gnawing membrane.  Fortunately, I grabbed Kreesa and removed her before she did any real damage to the suit, seals, cuff dump - need I go on?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Dont spray your 02 clean din conectors with WD40  

I know I know, but they squeek and are all gritty when I screw them into the manifold. Every time I do it I think a squert of WD40 would sort that no problem.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

The best advice I can add is:
Dont let go of your reel when deploying your DSMB mid water. If you do make sure the ratchet is on. If not, make sure there is less than 40 metres of sea water below.
Cats cradle has nothing on it

Reactions: milldog

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ May 05 2003,15:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dom, you got yours up an running then?
Alas, no. I'm afraid I caved in and bought one - I've too many other projects I'm trying to finish to devote the time to a P valve.
So I phoned Divers Warehouse and asked them to ship me one of their balanced P-valves. Haven't dived since I fitted it during the week, so can't report on how successful I was in making it leak-proof...

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]just need a catheter (from pharmacists apparently),
I've just mentioned to my wife about this and she says (nursey type) " you don't want a catheter, you want a conveen". apparently a catheter is attached to your bladder, guess how they get it in there?, whereas a conveen is like a jonny with a tube on it that you glue to your old chap with double sided tape, not as bad as it sounds, you have to see one really.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ May 05 2003,21:06)]Alas, no. I'm afraid I caved in and bought one - I've too many other projects I'm trying to finish to devote the time to a P valve.
<font color='#0000FF'>Yeah, I know what you mean, work gets in the way of diving far too much  

I can't find the item on DWH using a variety of search terms, can you post a link to it?
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

It doesn't seem to appear on their website - you have to download the catalogue and look at the bottom of page 3 to find out about it..

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

My top tip is:

Don't immediately assume your buoyancy is up the spout just because you're having difficulty getting down the shotline. It maybe that some barsteward in the rib has a gaff hook round your first stage pulling you up, as you struggle to get down - happened to me a few weeks ago in Cornwall, oh how I laughed Grrrrr!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts