YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Dear all,

In a bit of a dilemna that I hope you could guide me on. I'm an AOW with just over 50 dives under my belt, and have been diving for just over a year. I'm shortly going to buy an oceanic flexia drysuit (when I've found the cheapest outlet) and undersuit to enable me to continue diving all year round. (Haven't dived for about 8 weeks now and getting really frustrated!). My dilemna is this. I may have the opportunity to buy a set of twin 7's (i have a Glide 2000 bcd and due to the lift capacity twin 7's are the max it can handle, I don't have the cash to go to a wing just yet) or go on a Rescue Diver course. I would like to do the RD course to help me and possibly others, but would also like to go down the twinset road. Can't do both though.. Due to my level of experience, what do you think I would be better off doing?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Ian

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Go on the course. No contest. Twin 7's are still going to be there when you are ready, or you might choose something else.

Improving yourself and your diving is far more important than equipment.

Andy

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I've been making similar decisions recently.  I'm at a similar level of qualification / experience to you, and I'd do the course (and am doing something equivalent). As AOWs, rescue skills are probably the most significant gap in our skill sets.

Another consideration is that when you do go down the twinset route, and do dives that you actually NEED a twinset for, you're probably going to need something bigger than sevens - that's my reasoning based on where I see my own diving going in a couple of years. So sevens now might be a waste of money that you'll regret in a year or so.

Tom

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'd definately go on the course and keep diving with the gear I'd already got.

The more you know the safer your diving, and there will always be twins around when you've next got the dosh.

Happy diving in 2004

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I agree will all the above - do the course.

You can borrow or buy kit later, you cannot borrow training and experience.

Adrian

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ian.

Agreed again, is this a record of 6 comments in a row that all agree with each other?

Do the course you won't regret it. You can always get the twins later, or a pony bottle which the glide should be able to cope with.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Do the course it's a blast done mine about a month ago, f the twins and learn to use what youve already got to the max first. You probably may never need a
twin set.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

The course gets the thumbs up here too, 50 dives is not a lot and it's a good point to think about why you are even considering them? Only you will actualy know for sure but many people buy this kind of kit for dives they could do more comfortably on a single and pony. Also, if you rib dive, will you have enough air for a second dive or end up taking a third tank and have no back up?

The devils advacate general,

Mr Narked at 50.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Are you really only buying them because you consume air to fast and think this may be a way to prolong your diving. or have you got on the must have syndrome. either way wait, try doing the extended range course after rescue diver this will be of far more benefit to you in the long run.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Imported post

I am at a similar experience level as you and would without question recommend doing the Rescue Diver Course before even considering a twinset.  The skills you will learn will definitely increase your abilities and confidence.  I am a big believer in training but also a gear freak.  I have twin 12s which I only bought because they were a bargain.  When I have done more training I will get them wet!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Dear all,

Thank you very much for your responses, they were all very much appreciated.

After consideration I agree that the RD course is of more importance at this stage in my diving. (But the twin 7's are very shiny and nice!) and will book one very soon. Need to get my drysuit sorted as a priority now!

Thank you all again,

Kind regards,

Ian

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I was just about to concur with the rest of the mob, when I read your response and see you have decided already. RD is the best course I have done and one of the few certs that give me comfort to hear a buddy has.

But at the risk of being rebellious, what about doing it all? If you go for a cheaper or second hand set of twins and gamble on a second hand DS I reckon you could get it all including the course.

Having said that the extended range course may be worthwhile before buying twins, I'm not sure, I'm a single tank diver.

Why can't we have our cake and eat it? and if not whats the point in having the bloody cake

Have a good one

Conor

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

welcome to the realities of diving!
this is not part of the o/w course but alas true.
DIVING IS BLOODY EXPENSIVE!
so my advise would be cut your cloth to suit your budget and if that means a loan,WELCOME ABOARD.
if the loan route is not for you shop around for deals on kit and courses,remember a lot of kit is sold practically brand new at a substancial savings on retail.
and by the way YOU NEVER HAVE YOUR KIT BOUGHT NOW!
ITS NOT THE LAST THING I NEED TO BUY!
cheers
barrie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts