Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

* New 12l twins
* OMS Bands for above
* New Uwatec Smart Pro computer
* 10 lb V-weight
* Gas-bottle fired DSMB
* BIG Reel
* Some spare fin-straps and ABS clips for mi Quattros.
* £50's worth of dive book (assorted)

So, tomorrow at the Cape (and a 43% mix!) should be a chortle! See ya there guys.

Oh, and Davey bought himself a top suit too, but I'll let him tell you all about that later.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Thought you had twins already, Bren?

And why not the VR3......bloomin' skinflint!?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hey Lou,

Davey's already given me grief for this today!

I do have twins already, but they are out of test (just) and I need cylinders for tommorrow's gig at the Cape and Anglesey and didn't want to get into the situation where I couldn't dive because my twins were in being tested.

This way I get two sets of twins and will never be in that above situation.

The VR3 can wait until I get that far into Trimix that it becomes a necessity.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Flippin' heck, Bren.

I would just have jacked Capenwray, mate!  No wonder Davey gave you grief.

As for the VR3, don't you listen to all the advice to buy what you will grow into straight away?!  Oh, sorry, I forgot, you'll just buy 2 when you need them anyway ;)

Have a good dive tomorrow - I can't go anywhere because my pony regs are in being serviced in time for Anglesey.  ####!

Lou

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Bren
Have you checked that you have the wieght?

I went back into the shop and returned one which was on top of a box near the suits

OOOOPs

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Yeah I did give him grief... he's the only gold plated muppet I know who instead of paying £21 for a test on one bottle buy's a set of twin 12's with bands and MDE manifolds instead.. Oh how the other half live eh!.. Makes me wanna puke it does... my kid has to starve for a month just cos I bought a V-weight (ahem oh yeah and a suit)  :biggrin:

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi guys,
how much were the v weights?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Doesn't matter how much Steve I've since found out they are crap... the bolts holes don't line up and they need big chunks cutting out so that they allow the BP to sit properly.... doh!! mines going back..

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

......Where as my V-weight went on nay sweat and is currently screwed down with wing-nuts to the rear of my rig between my cylinders AND needs nothing (no holes cut) doing to it!!  
Happy days!

Andy W, yes thanks, you found the one I was originally looking for which we couldn't find and then Brett got me another 10-pounder. Steve S - £20.

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Imported post

I know how ya feel Bren, spent yesterday morning in SDS picking up all my gear - looking forward to my drysuit training on Wednesday night, and using all my own gear for the first time!

The bank managers none too happy I've relieved her of my savings, but i'm as happy as a lad sat in a weezle... Was that too much information?! :nuts:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Just spoke to Andy Hayhurst to ask how the #### he fitted your V-weight without it forcing the backplate away from the cylinders and he informed me that he didn't, he agrees that without the slots for the bands being there it can't be done that way.... he's just bolted it onto those exceptionally long lengths of threaded bolt that stick out the back of your cylinders mate.. so it isn't fitted as a V-weightm mate, it isn't between your cylinders and backplate it's actually just screwed onto the back of your cylinders using the longer bolts...

You muppet!! :moon2:

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bren/Dave
thanks for reply, have either of you got a combro b/plate?

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

i've had my hands on one and apart from having to rub down the sharp edges they look ok to me steve. get one ordered!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello,
for the v weight I done my own, just bent a V shape with sheet metal and melt some lead, then drilled holes in. The only problem is that is of 6kg and with dry suits gets me un balanced, what is the weight of the on you are using?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Err..Davey mate, not with you? You not see/read this bit of my original posting??:

"......Where as my V-weight went on nay sweat and is currently screwed down with wing-nuts to the rear of my rig between my cylinders AND needs nothing (no holes cut) doing to it!!
 Happy days! "

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dave Williamson on 11:11 am on Feb. 16, 2003
Just spoke to Andy Hayhurst to ask how the #### he fitted your V-weight without it forcing the backplate away from the cylinders and he informed me that he didn't, he agrees that without the slots for the bands being there it can't be done that way.... he's just bolted it onto those exceptionally long lengths of threaded bolt that stick out the back of your cylinders mate.. so it isn't fitted as a V-weightm mate, it isn't between your cylinders and backplate it's actually just screwed onto the back of your cylinders using the longer bolts...

You muppet!! :moon2:
<span =''>

I never for one minute sought to promote anything other than I posted above!? So I don't where you were going with your post?

So what exactly are we debating here? The fact that it's not called a 'V-weight' (i.e. its shape?), or what? We can call it 'Emmy-Lou', if it will make you feel better!

As I originally said, it's screwed down, without it being forced, on to the threaded bolts between my cylinders and on the rear of my rig!? What part did you not get? I have a weight that's now integral to my rig (who gives a stuff whether it's called a V-weight or 'Aunt Betty'?) and it matters not that it sits to the rear and not between the backplate or has sections cut out to accommodate same. Why would you think there's anything wrong with that?

The weight works well and has allowed me to ditch my weight-belt, and we had two good dives on it to day (buoyancy, trim etc. fine) - proof and pudding and all that. :moon2:

What Andy actually said last night as we were fitting it was that it doesn't matter a jot where the weight goes.

If yours doesn't fit between your back-plate and your cylinders, and instead of carving chunks out of it, thereby losing some of the weight, why don't you just stick it on the back like mine. Your stated aim is to ditch weights off your webbing and harness the same as me mate - I've just managed to do it using that which I originally described. I think I need to give you a call squire as I'm still confused as to what your point was?

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 5:40 pm on Feb. 16, 2003)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hey, there's always the solution I came up to for weight on the back: The D-weight!

Will be updating the page when I get around to melting the lead - I've decided that it needs to be made modular, so I'll make a bunch of 1kg weights that can be put on or taken off as needed.. mainly cos (A) I'm overweighted and (B) I'll be using singles later on this year!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Before I started casting my own v-weights, I used "turd weight".  A "turd weight" is made of an old sock and some lead shot.  Take the sock and fill with about half a pound of lead shot, secure with a cable-tie, fill again with another half pound of shot and secure with another cable-tie.  Keep going and you end up with something resembling a string of short fat sausages.  Wrap the whole lot in duck tape and place between the tanks and the backplate.  It worked for me.

I had somebody make up a mould which I used to cast weights which fit nicely between the bands.  Weight is about 2.5kg.  If anybody wants to borrow the mould, just let me know and I'll bring it to Anglesey.

Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts