1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Hi Howard... how do you find your weight changes between 12's and 16's.... bigger tanks dispace more, but are heavier... also greater weight change as you use the air... do you add or take off weight..? or do you just stay as you are..?

just intersted... thanks A.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Euro 16's trim / dive and weight just like Euro 12's mate - lovely tins. You may need just one more kilo - but it's very borderline. They weigh 18.1 kg per cylinder - exactly 4 more kg than a Euro 12 - but obviously carry 4 more litres of gas

You need a 60lb wing with them ideally though, otherwise you'll struggle to stay on the surface at the beginning of a dive. The great thing about them is you get an extra 2000l of gas which is like having an AL80 bottom stage, but without carrying the extra bottle :) Perfect for 60-70m gas diving

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I can vouch for what Howard is saying. I had a pair of these and needed the same weight as my Euro 12s - i.e. none. I used them with a 40lb Evolve but in a swell would have been a bit too low in the water for comfort even at the end of a dive so would advise on a 60lb or a 55lb Explorer as they're always up for grabs on the cheap. If you're using this much gas, chances are you'll have at least two deco stages strapped on too and unless you've sucked them right down that will add to the weight you'll be carrying.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you turned into a Gas Pig all of a sudden Howard
No mate - it's just deep :) They also make great cave diving cylinders

And yes I think we all know where it's heading Steve - just a small matter of cost and the right unit.

As a good mate of mine says: "I wouldn't use most of them as a coffee table"

Reactions: gobfish1

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I went down that same route as well, from using 300bar 7's on 60m dives off the west coast :D, to 10's, to 12's, to 20's. Final straw was being unable to get out the water under the weight of it all. Within a month I had a KISS.

Just buy a second hand YBOD for £1500, you can't go wrong with them, forget all this stone age stuff :D You can always stick an Apork BOV on it, well it's the only bit they've managed to make so far.

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
erm , ok , will a set of twin anythings make that much difference weight wise , your still gonna have to carry the bail out suitable for the dive , so the dif is surely in pocket pounds sterling , not pounds lead... breather time lol ,,, i know whats coming next

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
erm , ok , will a set of twin anythings make that much difference weight wise , your still gonna have to carry the bail out suitable for the dive , so the dif is surely in pocket pounds sterling , not pounds lead... breather time lol ,,, i know whats coming next
Surprisingly they do - My twin 16 need 5kg less lead than twin 12s, so only 3kg heavier to dive than 12s for a lot more gas. However, throw in a couple of stages and both are still bloody heavy.

The 16s will make a fine gas bank for my breather, unless Mrs C wants to go diving with them again...

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
well a handy porta bank ,,, cheaper than a booster too , or make a handy drive for a booster ,, good concept,

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Surprisingly they do - My twin 16 need 5kg less lead than twin 12s, so only 3kg heavier to dive than 12s for a lot more gas. However, throw in a couple of stages and both are still bloody heavy.

The 16s will make a fine gas bank for my breather, unless Mrs C wants to go diving with them again...
Compared with Faber 12s the Euro 16s were about 2kg heavier in water and provided heaps more gas for the extra weight. I found they trimmed out much better than the Fabers. Had I not been tempted over to CCR I would have swapped my Fabers for Euros.

I considered the bank idea but decided I'll use a set of 12s for that as they are already full of 21/35.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts