YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just A Diver - Nothing Special
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain what the difference is between the EN144-1 and DIN477 regulations with regards to the cylinder neck threads.

Both are as i understand it M25 threads but i'm thinking more of the tapered neck and o-ring seating arrangements.

are they compatible? i guess not otherwise why have two standards.

I've bought a couple of Eurocylinders which are DIN477 spec (stamped on the neck). The manifold supplied is EN144.

I've queried this with the company and they assure me all is okay they tell me 144 is the new standard and backward compatible so a 144 valve will work with 477 cylinders just not the other way round - i'm just not convinced.

ta

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
EN144-1 is a European standard relating to gas valves and outlets. DIN477 is a German standard relating to gas valves and outlets.

The DIN standard may well have been adopted as the basis of the EN standard. You would have to look at the text of the two standards to decide if they are compatible.

There you go. Probaly a technically correct answer that is completely bloody useless. :)

Adrian

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
If you have a look here and go to Products then Valves link there is a diagram of the two types.

I had a Scubapro manifold which was DIN477 then bought a pair of Faber cylinders which were EN144 and my LDS wasn't happy to fit the manifold so I ended up buying another manifold. I didn't know the original one was different at the time.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Here you go

I have a DIN 477 for sale as it doesnt fit the AL40 £15 inc postage

Graham

Reactions: 722

·
Registered
455 Posts
The problem is poor engineering practice, also the o-ring for the En is different to the DIN. There have been a number of instances of the wrong valve in the cylinder, and corrosion can affect the gap between the cylinder and valve. Also the o-ring can been in a position where it can extrude and not seal correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts